1. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 19:35
    Originally posted by Varenka
    But then does it look along the files and ranks, or does it look towards the four diagonals? 🙂 I suggest eight headed knights to solve this major issue. 😉
    When I made my previous post, I wondered if anyone would bring up the 45 degree angle idea. (8 horse heads) Glad to see I wasn't disappointed. 😀

So, the ultimate solution would be to turn the knight on a lathe in the profile of a knight. It would cover an infinite number of angular concerns, and it would be cheaper to make. But it WOULD destroy some of the beauty of chess sets. I say let the problem fester forever!
  2. Joined
    01 Feb '07
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 19:59
    Originally posted by Raven69
    Ah, but once he catches on you can trick him, adjust the knight into one direction, but move it into another....'tis fail proof plan.
    Hmmm...I have an OTB quad on Saturday so I'll give this a shot and see what happens.
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 20:53
    Originally posted by 93confirmed
    Don't you think the opponents would catch on to adjusting the Knights direction every 5 moves. Your idea sounds good in theory but I think it's telegraphing the moves too much.
    O geez! You gotta do it sneekily!

Solutions:

1.Wait till he gets up to look at other games /bathroom
    2.Point somewhere and then do it
    3.Kick him under the table.
    4.Cough and do it.

Even if he catches on, he doesn't know when you will move the knight. As the famous saying goes,

The threat is great then the execution (spelling?).
  4. Joined
    29 Aug '06
    Moves
    20 Mar '07 03:22
    Originally posted by Varenka
    But then does it look along the files and ranks, or does it look towards the four diagonals? 🙂 I suggest eight headed knights to solve this major issue. 😉
    I suggest extruding it 360 degrees.
  5. Joined
    29 Aug '06
    Moves
    20 Mar '07 03:24
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    When I made my previous post, I wondered if anyone would bring up the 45 degree angle idea. (8 horse heads) Glad to see I wasn't disappointed. 😀

So, the ultimate solution would be to turn the knight on a lathe in the profile of a knight. It would cover an infinite number of angular concerns, and it would be cheaper to make. But it WOULD destroy some of the beauty of chess sets. I say let the problem fester forever!
    But what about me? I like my Knights Upside Down.
  6. Standard memberRaven69
    Different
    Moves
    20 Mar '07 03:37
    Originally posted by 93confirmed
    Hmmm...I have an OTB quad on Saturday so I'll give this a shot and see what happens.
    You do that.
  7. Joined
    19 Feb '07
    Moves
    20 Mar '07 09:14
    Originally posted by Raven69
    They should face forward if you are playing someone with equal strength or weaker, if you are playing someone stronger than you, then they should face you....unless you are playing on a Tuesday, then they should be at a sort of diagonal-facing position....unless there is a full moon that Tuesday, than the one on the right should face left, and the one on the left should face right...did you get all that?
    In tournament play I prefer to stand the knights on their heads. Exhibiting this almost supernatural feat of balance, a sort of Cirque du Soleil of the equine pieces, distracts the opponent who is always afraid of jostling the board and upsetting the pieces. Call me dirty, but this often gives me a winning advantage.
  8. The sky
    Moves
    20 Mar '07 13:14
    Originally posted by Mad Rook

What about rotating knights?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Mar '07 15:15
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    What about rotating knights?
    that would involve the use of technology on the board...
    USCF would flip
    someone would be bound to put a transmitter in the knight
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Mar '07 15:17
    Originally posted by Sickboy
    But what about me? I like my Knights Upside Down.
    i want them to face my opponent so i can check up on that super sexy staunton-style hiney
    😉
  11. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    20 Mar '07 19:49
    I like to have them facing my opponent at first... and then if they get rotated during play then I don't worry about it.
  12. Standard memberRaven69
    Different
    Moves
    20 Mar '07 20:08
    Originally posted by fargdls
    Call me dirty
    Well if that's what you want....everyone call fargdls "Dirty" from now on.
  13. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 01:09
    I have conversations with my pieces (it's even more fun w/ knights as you can say "adjust" and face them towards you to talk) during games (until my opponent eventually objects) when i'm in a rut, asking them what the best plan is and such. Also, pick up a captured piece, say "you're mine now slave!" and ask him what your opponent's plan is and such.

Or ask a piece..."so what do think of the queen?"
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 01:191 edit
    Originally posted by fargdls
    Call me dirty.
    OK. Hi, Dirty. How are you doing today?

Edit: Blast! the raven beat me to it.
  15. Joined
    31 Jul '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 06:54
    In the 2003 documentary 'Game On: Kasparov and the machine,' the former world champion can be seen before a match adjusting his knights so that the one on the left faces to the left and the one on the right faces to the right.

But he knows his chessmen well.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree