1. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 15:09
    I prefer playing against people who face the knights to what square they want to jump to..makes it easier on me
  2. Standard memberSPDChess
    Chess Monk
    Surrey
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 15:24
    Originally posted by joen
    Should my knights face my opponent (and turn their backs on me) or should they turn their faces to the right or left? I prefer the latter. I can see them more clearly this way. Is there any regulations concerning this or is it just a matter of taste?
    Reading some of the responses I see most don't think it's an issue however when I was first started getting into chess (beyond just how the stuff moves) a player I respected a lot always put his knights facing towards the king (i.e. for white, right facing for queen knight and left for king's )

Their reasoning was that it helped during analysis of a game to know where the knight started from.

To be honest I am far from the level where that would make much difference to me and it might be a lot of hooey but... I have just always done it that way in OTB games.

Just my .02 cents
    Steve
  3. Oklahoma City
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 15:32
    mmm, very interesting---do the knights wear saddles and armour or are the bareback?????
  4. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 15:35

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 15:36
    Originally posted by jhard
    mmm, very interesting---do the knights wear saddles and armour or are the bareback?????
    did you not read Dragon Fire's post while we were discussing it at depth???
    the queen is a man in drag, and she has to take it up the rear from the dirty old gay bishops before she is allowed to move...
    they often do this up-the-rear ritual on the knights, so the knights must be bareback
    can you imagine the chaffing if they had to do that on a saddle?
    blegh!
  6. Dublin
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 16:131 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I'd j'adoube his king onto its side.

I face my knights towards my opponent's king so he's scared of getting mated by them. 🙂
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 16:14
    Originally posted by Schumi
    I'd j'adoube his king onto its side.

I face my knights towards my opponent's king so he's scared of getting mated by them. 🙂
    horse rape!
  8. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 16:56
    There is only 1 real answer and here it is:

Face the knight where it is headed.

If it's going to the right, point it there. Forward point it there.

Then when it's your move and you have nothing better to do. Grab the Knight and move him to that position.

So what you do is, you make a plan every 5 moves, figure out where the knights go in that plan, and then say J'adube (adjust) and turn the knights where they are headed.

Then continue playing like normal. Then when you need a move, move the knight? Well what if you forget where the knight went since the plan you created was 5 moves ago and you have a memory problem?

Well! That's why you point the knight to where it is headed!!

Bloody brillant, I know!

RK
  9. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 17:14
    This little question caused a cute diversion at one tournament I went to. There were two older experts who always end up playing each other in this event, and it seems there was some animosity between them. Before Black's first move, he says, "adjust," and turns White's knights to the left. White looks at his opponent incredulously, and on his turn you hear, "adjust, ADJUST," as he corrects his own knights and turns Black's to the right. This went on for about 10 moves or so. You would hear, "ADJUST, ADJUST!" every move, until the TD came over and put a stop to it.

I also think that Karpov raised a stink about this in one of his matches. Must have been retaliation for the yogurt.
  10. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 17:26
    The solution is clear - We must change the Staunton design so that the knight has four horse heads.
  11. Joined
    01 Feb '07
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 17:33
    Originally posted by RahimK
    There is only 1 real answer and here it is:

Face the knight where it is headed.

If it's going to the right, point it there. Forward point it there.

Then when it's your move and you have nothing better to do. Grab the Knight and move him to that position.

So what you do is, you make a plan every 5 moves, figure out where the knights go in that pla ...[text shortened]... l! That's why you point the knight to where it is headed!!

Bloody brillant, I know!

RK
    Don't you think the opponents would catch on to adjusting the Knights direction every 5 moves. Your idea sounds good in theory but I think it's telegraphing the moves too much.
  12. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 17:41
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    The solution is clear - We must change the Staunton design so that the knight has four horse heads.
    But then does it look along the files and ranks, or does it look towards the four diagonals? 🙂 I suggest eight headed knights to solve this major issue. 😉
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 17:51
    Originally posted by Varenka
    But then does it look along the files and ranks, or does it look towards the four diagonals? 🙂 I suggest eight headed knights to solve this major issue. 😉
    or we just get rid of knights and use figurines of huck's bear
    i still can't tell if the bear is raping a cigarette or trying to write something with a big feathery quill...
  14. Standard memberRaven69
    Different
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 18:37
    Originally posted by 93confirmed
    Don't you think the opponents would catch on to adjusting the Knights direction every 5 moves. Your idea sounds good in theory but I think it's telegraphing the moves too much.
    Ah, but once he catches on you can trick him, adjust the knight into one direction, but move it into another....'tis fail proof plan.
  15. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 18:49
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    should the knight be able to urinate on my king's feet?
    No, that would REALLY piss him off.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree