1. Standard memberRaven69
    Different
    Moves
    18 Mar '07 17:50
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    Just because its a chess only Forum doesn't mean it has to be dull in here.
    Yes it does, internet forums are serious business...besides, whoever heard of chess being fun?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '07 17:53
    Originally posted by joen
    Should my knights face my opponent (and turn their backs on me) or should they turn their faces to the right or left? I prefer the latter. I can see them more clearly this way. Is there any regulations concerning this or is it just a matter of taste?
    should the knight be able to urinate on my king's feet?
  3. Joined
    03 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Mar '07 17:54
    More importantly, which way should pawns face?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '07 18:15
    Originally posted by UndeadNightOrc
    More importantly, which way should pawns face?
    should the queen have to take it up the rear by the dirty old bishops before she can move?
  5. Joined
    26 Sep '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '07 20:00
    Should my knights face my opponent (and turn their backs on me) or should they turn their faces to the right or left? I prefer the latter. I can see them more clearly this way. Is there any regulations concerning this or is it just a matter of taste?
    DeepThought is of course right in saying that it is more important to worry about what they do, and that there is no rule about which way they face.

For what it's worth I prefer them to start facing the middle, and I keep them facing in their original directions thereafter. This way I can always tell where they came from - it just makes me feel better! 😀
  6. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    18 Mar '07 21:58
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    should the queen have to take it up the rear by the dirty old bishops before she can move?
    No! The Bishops are both gay!
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '07 22:01
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    No! The Bishops are both gay!
    but the Queen is a man so it all works out
  8. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    18 Mar '07 22:26
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    but the Queen is a man in drag so it all works out
    Edited for accuracy!
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '07 22:33
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Edited for accuracy!
    haha
    brilliant
  10. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    18 Mar '07 22:53
    I think they should face towards you, so your opponent is forced to look at their a$$.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '07 22:55
    turn them in a full circle during a game, contemplate a move, and then resign because you were too confused by your spinning knights (who are now dizzy)
  12. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 08:57

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 10:48
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    Ask Robert Redford. He should know.
    lol good one
  14. Stockholm, Sweden
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 14:48
    This might be the only serious answer you'll get.

It is a funny thing you ask this, I actually spoke about it with my friend the other day. Most people seem to enjoy facing them forward. It seems logical to me. However, I personally prefer facing them left since diagrams are usually read that way. This of course raises the question if each player's knights should face left relatively to the player, or if all knights should face left. In that sense, facing them forward seems like an easier solution. But, then again, it is also easier to distinguish a knight that is facing to the side from one that is facing forward, since it is a bit more narrow rather than wide which it should have been if facing to the side. But, again then again 2x, I prefer my bishops with the gash to the front. The problem is that the bishops are usually display with a cross in diagrams, so there is nothing to compare with either.

But, there is nothing so much annoying when the knights of the same color are not faced in the same direction or if the pieces are not placed in the middle of each square (e.g. standing slightly on another square). This is the only case where I am pro death penalty.

I would be surprised if there are any regulations, though.
  15. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 14:59
    Mine always face the middle, my opponents face whichever direction (s)he leaves them in.

Oddly enough, I played a reserve tournament two years ago and one opponent told me it was distracting the way I always adjusted my knights facing when the crossed from one side of the board to the other. Unfortunately, he still managed a draw. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree