White to Move© (The Turk's Tactics Thread)

White to Move© (The Turk's Tactics Thread)

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t

Moves
19 Mar 08
4 edits

Originally posted by heinzkat
I suppose you have to prove why 1. ... O-O is not an option for Black - in other words, why g7-g5 must have been Black's last move.
If black played g5 last move how does that stop him from castling now? Black can castle the first move isn't Ke5 its hxg6e.p. because like you said g5 must have been blacks last move.

Edits for grammar and I said hxg5 😳

j
Ganbei!

Not in lecture

Moves
19 Mar 08
1 edit

I suppose you have to prove why 1. ... O-O is not an option for Black - in other words, why g7-g5 must have been Black's last move.
Ah, good point 😳 Perhaps then hxg6 e.p. Then Rd8#?

Edit: Unless of course he castles in which case h7#

t

Moves
19 Mar 08

Originally posted by jockmcgee
Ah, good point 😳 Perhaps then hxg6 e.p. Then Rd8#?

Edit: Unless of course he castles in which case h7#
See above post 🙂

h

Moves
19 Mar 08

But maybe Black cannot castle since his last move was either Ke8 or Rh8 - hxg6 is forbidden then. I suppose there are two solutions - or we are missing something retrogradic.

j
Ganbei!

Not in lecture

Moves
19 Mar 08

Originally posted by tomtom232
See above post 🙂
Yeah, I was too late 🙁 Just wanted to prove I could see it when someone shows me it 😛

t

Moves
19 Mar 08

But maybe Black cannot castle since his last move was either Ke8 or Rh8 - hxg6 is forbidden then. I suppose there are two solutions - or we are missing something retrogradic.
I believe that in a problem a side cannot castle only if this is stipulated or it can be proven by retrograde analysis that the king or the rook has move..since it wasn't stipulated and it can't be proven that black has moved a king or the rook we can assume that g5 was blacks last move I think...now the problem is how do we prove it was g7-g5 and not g6-g5 😕

h

Moves
19 Mar 08

That's easy - how can the pawn have been on g6 while it was Black to move? Not possible, since White would have been in check while it was Black's move.

Kk

Moves
19 Mar 08
1 edit

1. Kg6 0-0 2.h7#
Anything else then Rd8#

Edit: that won't work as black can play 2 ... Rg7+

t

Moves
19 Mar 08

Originally posted by Kiwi kid
1. Kg6
Nope...because black can play Rg8 check.

t

Moves
19 Mar 08

That's easy - how can the pawn have been on g6 while it was Black to move? Not possible, since White would have been in check while it was Black's move.
Well, then problem solved. 🙂

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
19 Mar 08

Originally posted by tomtom232
Well, then problem solved. 🙂
Not yet....

MR

Moves
19 Mar 08
3 edits

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Not yet....
I certainly hope that the board isn't upside down (White playing from the top and Black playing from the bottom), preventing Black from castling. If so, that's one dirty trick, and you'd better start running, because the lynch mob isn't far behind. 😉

If that's not the case, then I have no idea. I've looked at this for over 30 minutes, and I can't see anything beyond what the others have already suggested.

Edit - And for the record, if the board is upside down, then the answer is 1.Kd3 (any move, but castling not allowed) 2.Re1#.

Edit 2 - Oops, not sure about that answer. Black's pawn could take the bishop.

Edit 3 - Unless I'm missing something basic, the only thing that makes sense is that we have to somehow prove that Black has just played g7-g5. But I can't see how that can be proved. (I'm not a retrograde kind of guy.)

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
19 Mar 08

Originally posted by Mad Rook
I certainly hope that the board isn't upside down (White playing from the top and Black playing from the bottom), preventing Black from castling. If so, that's one dirty trick, and you'd better start running, because the lynch mob isn't far behind. 😉

If that's not the case, then I have no idea. I've looked at this for over 30 minutes, and I can't see an ...[text shortened]... ed g7-g5. But I can't see how that can be proved. (I'm not a retrograde kind of guy.)
It's funny - all the necessary analysis has already been done, but still nobody has reached the correct conclusion.

The board is not upside down.
There are not two solutions.

MR

Moves
19 Mar 08

Originally posted by SwissGambit
It's funny - all the necessary analysis has already been done, but still nobody has reached the correct conclusion.

The board is not upside down.
There are not two solutions.
By not two solutions, you mean it's not a conditional answer? (If Black just played g7-g5, then White plays this, and if Black just moved his king or rook, then Black plays that.) Are conditional answers allowed in retrograde analysis?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
19 Mar 08

Originally posted by Mad Rook
By not two solutions, you mean it's not a conditional answer? (If Black just played g7-g5, then White plays this, and if Black just moved his king or rook, then Black plays that.) Are conditional answers allowed in retrograde analysis?
Yes, the answer is conditional. But that doesn't make it two solutions. The one thing we can prove is that there is only one move that forces mate in 2. We just don't know for sure what it is.

Your turn.