1. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 18:37
    Originally posted by Maxacre42
    I'm pretty sure Kasparov uses the latest Fritz.
    I'm pretty sure he uses mostly rybka 3.
  2. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 18:37
    Also, every knows all the gms review their games with engines!
    we're not gms, and they didn't build their skills by looking at engine evaluations. they did it the old-fashioned way. skills are gained by training, not by watching someone else 'train'.
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 18:40
    Originally posted by philidor position
    and I think there were no relevant programs around when he made himself the chess player he was/is. πŸ™‚
  4. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 18:44
    Originally posted by wormwood
    if there's something really messy, and I couldn't find the solution in game after days of working it over and over, I might check that position with an engine later. but there's a quite high threshold before it comes to that.

how do I analyze? I just work the position until I get a satisfactory solution. where did it start to go wrong? what could I have ...[text shortened]... t lose!" -it's just declarative knowledge, the training effect of it is about zero.
    Exactly! We are on the same page here, I think. I think my flaw was that I wasn't voicing it so poetically.

The human brain cannot think the same way a computer does, so there is very little point to asking a computer how you should have played. It's not like a human player can follow the same path that the computer took to get the answer, and your next game will look different and have different mistakes to make. As the computer is not there with you at the game (better not be, anyway) you are going to have to learn how to reach solutions in a human sort of way.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 18:443 edits
    and I think there were no relevant programs around when he made himself the chess player he was/is. πŸ™‚
    yes, he had like 10 people instead πŸ™‚

Kasparov's strength that carried him still on the top over to the next generation with Anand, Topalov, Kramnik etc, leaving behind his generation in history books was that he could adjust to the computer age very quickly and well, he was the best in the world to do computer based analysis.

Kasparov is good friends with chessbase owner, Friedel something.
  6. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 18:48
    Really? isn't he sponsored by Fritz? He probably got payed for saying this, but behind Fritz boxes it has a Kasparov quote saying ''I regularly analyse with Fritz''
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 18:491 edit
    Really? isn't he sponsored by Fritz? He probably got payed for saying this, but behind Fritz boxes it has a Kasparov quote saying ''I regularly analyse with Fritz''
    Yes, it was at a time rybka wasn't around. he cites fritz very often in his predecessors and test of time book. today (for Carlsen's preparation, let's say) he uses both probably, but the main one would be rybka, simply because it's so much better.
  8. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 18:531 edit
    Yes, it was at a time rybka wasn't around. he uses both probably, but the main one would be rybka, simply because it's so much better.
    What do you mean by so much better? I don't own Rybka 3, I just know it beats other chess engines head to head. I would have thought gms only look for tactics with the computer and creat the plans themselves. Fritz is a very nice looking and user-friendly program, I have no idea about rybka 3, but I had an earlier rybka and it was ... well a a big pile of manure infested by bugs.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 18:571 edit
    What do you mean by so much better? I don't own Rybka 3, I just know it beats other chess engines head to head. I would have thought gms only look for tactics with the computer and creat the plans themselves. Fritz is a very nice looking and user-friendly program, I have no idea about rybka 3, but I had an earlier rybka and it was ... well a a big pile of manure infested by bugs.
    it's not only a couple of hundred elo points stronger than fritz in cc games, but analyzing with rybka human (a rybka 3 version) is a completely different experience than analyzing with fritz 11. (I don't have fritz 12).

many people believe engines are useless at positional evaluations and are only good for tactics, but I strongly believe it's not the case with Rybka 3. nowadays stockfish and deep shredder 12 are probably catching up in that area. I don't have much experience analyzing with them though.
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 19:52
    I know you take your chess seriously, and are an old bone with loads of chess mileage in both fast and slow chess. neither of us are spring chickens, and both of us are bright enough. I don't reall know about you, but I've never took a single lesson from anyone myself. probably never will. you analyze your games with engine(s), I don't.

you: 1803
    me: 20 ...[text shortened]... s obviously is that it's due to the difference in our analysis training.

any thoughts?
    I make a lot of hasty moves that cause me to lose. Haste is caused by carrying too many games. Right now I have one here, but fourteen and nineteen at two other sites. Last week I had ~45 games in progress--too many. I also play online blitz most days and OTB as often as possible.

I aim to achieve an USCF expert rating. All forms of online chess are secondary to that. At the present my USCF is higher than my RHP rating.

I took lessons from a master several summers ago. MY USCF has improved about 250-300 since then.
  11. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 20:11
    it's not only a couple of hundred elo points stronger than fritz in cc games, but analyzing with rybka human (a rybka 3 version) is a completely different experience than analyzing with fritz 11. (I don't have fritz 12).

many people believe engines are useless at positional evaluations and are only good for tactics, but I strongly believe it's ...[text shortened]... probably catching up in that area. I don't have much experience analyzing with them though.
    Interesting! Maybe I'll buy rybka 4 when it comes out.
  12. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 20:24
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    MY USCF has improved about 250-300 since then.
    clear on-going progress. and the gameload thing sounds like a probable reason as well.
  13. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 21:05
    Interesting! Maybe I'll buy rybka 4 when it comes out.
    even better is to wait for 4 to come out and download the by then free 3
  14. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 21:27
    I'm pretty sure Kasparov uses the latest Fritz.
    For marketing purposes and his own pocket indeedπŸ˜›
  15. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 22:502 edits

many people believe engines are useless at positional evaluations and are only good for tactics, but I strongly believe it's ...[text shortened]... probably catching up in that area. I don't have much experience analyzing with them though.
    Off base a bit.

Rybka and Fritz are not separated by "a couple of hundred elo points". In fact, most
    ratings of the two engines in congruent hardware scenario's place the engines <100
    points different.

As for what Kaspy uses, I'm sure is dependent on the position. I know from reading
    some of his work, that he once preferred Hiarcs to all comers at one time. Today based
    on reading from Rybka forums, the Carlsen camp does utilize Rybka.

Rybka is probably the strongest middle game engine in the world. However, its ending
    efficiency is quite weak (respectively). Rybka can be outperformed in endgame
    scenarios w/o any tablebases rather easily. Stockfish, is one breed which does so
    regularly to Rybka.

Shredder doesn't outperform any engine in any singular area, however it is an all
    around powerhouse, and does very well in engine matches due to its "panoramic"
    search qualities. Or so says the company.

You can be rather certain that positions are evaluated by Kasparov himself, and he
    leaves his analysis for engines to any unknown dynamics which are tactically
    calculable. I'm also fairly certain he utilizes more than one engine in such positions.

-GIN

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree