i'll say karjakin again.

carlsen is overrated XD

oh! guess whos brifday it is today?
  2. Standard memberBaard
    gene vessel
    outside a box
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 10:43
    Magnus will win in front of Ivanchuck, Anand or Karjakin, Kramnik is a strong contender for 2nd as well.

Baard
  3. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 11:30
    Originally posted by Baard
    Magnus will win in front of Ivanchuck, Anand or Karjakin, Kramnik is a strong contender for 2nd as well.

Baard
    Of course the Norwegian will point at Magnus the Monster. 🙂

But the way he plays, he will probably win.
  4. Subscriberptobler
    Patzer
    Canberra
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 11:33
    Magnus most likely to win. In his last 3 tournaments he has lost 0 games, and won plenty.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 13:451 edit
    Originally posted by ptobler
    Magnus most likely to win. In his last 3 tournaments he has lost 0 games, and won plenty.
    1.Kramnik 2.Shared place: Carlsen + Anand. Nakamura will be below 5. Ivanchuk will be somewhere between 2 and 14. 🙂
  6. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 14:532 edits
    Anand will win.

edit: forget the rest,I was being daft as usual 😛
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 14:58
    Originally posted by Ajuin
    Anand will win.

I looked at the list of participants and noticed Adriaan De Groot is playing 😲
    Anand is great, but I'm not really sure he could perform at his highest when under heavy preparation for his WC match. I think the main competition will once again be between Kramnik and Carlsen, for them such high level tournaments are practice for the Candidates Tournament they will participate, and they both feel they have something to prove at the moment. For Kramnik, that is getting above that 2800 and show "he still has it", and for Carlsen that is simply protecting his number one spot.

Maybe they will all prove me wrong.
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 15:04
    magnus will win of course, but who's gonna be last? short or smeets? kramnik will probably make a comeback. I'll say 1. carlsen, 2. anand, 3. kramnik. predictable, yeah, but what can you do. these three have to fail for anyone else to fit in.

naka might surprise, although he's yet to show solid performance against top level in classical. can't really believe he could win, but finishing in the top5 would be a leap forward for him. he has the skills, but doesn't seem to have the nerves.
  9. Joined
    13 Aug '07
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 18:22
    I really think Kramnik is going to win Corus this year, with Anand and Carlsen sharing second place.
  10. Joined
    07 Jan '10
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 18:49
    I think that Anand is due a good tournament win, so why not at Corus? A victory both for him and interesting chess I hope!
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 20:15
    I say Carlsen is a better contender than last year, but Karjakin probably won't win this year but I always root for the underdawg!
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 20:201 edit
    Kramnik and Carlsen will tie. Kramnik will beat Carlsen, but lose to Nakamura. Anand will settle for third with no loses.
  13. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 20:261 edit
    1 - Jan Smeets
    2 - Sergey Tiviakov
    3 - Loek van Wely

Don't say I didn't warn you in advance

The last places are a lot more difficult to predict, with all these giants sitting down behind the board; maybe Caruana, haven't seen much good chess from him, although he won last year's Corus B-group, right?
  14. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 20:33
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    1 - Jan Smeets
    2 - Sergey Tiviakov
    3 - Loek van Wely

Don't say I didn't warn you in advance

The last places are a lot more difficult to predict, with all these giants sitting down behind the board; maybe Caruana, haven't seen much good chess from him, although he won last year's Corus B-group, right?
    I think caruana has a much bigger chance to surprise than smeets. tiviakov is one of my black horses as well, but I don't really think he can make it past 4th or 5th place.

in a perfect world nakamura would take 4th and tiviakov the 5th place. 🙂

I have no faith for van wely, although he might well score a point against kramnik et al. and shuffle the deck a bit.
  15. Subscriberjoesheppe
    Lesser Poobah
    Northern California
    Moves
    13 Jan '10 19:17
    My guess is a big bunch at the top with the usual suspects, MC, VK & VA, but I also expect Nakamura to be close - certainly above Tviakov, Smeets, Caruana, and even Ivanchuk. Excepting his loss yesterday to Aronian, he's been terrorizing the WTC.

Karjakin is the wild card He'll probably bust a few unexpected heads. Van Wely has to be the whipping boy. Short is improving, but the competition at the top is too much.

Should be great!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree