1. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 10:58
    I really messed up the opening in this game and my oppenent could have forced my resignation on about the 4th move but he made a slight error (grabbed a pawn too many) and has slowly allowed me to claw my way back in.

Game 2147039

Now I am standing better he won't move despite reminders and continuing to move in other games. Does he want to lose on time or what?

Why do people do this?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 11:081 edit
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    I really messed up the opening in this game and my oppenent could have forced my resignation on about the 4th move but he made a slight error (grabbed a pawn too many) and has slowly allowed me to claw my way back in.

Game 2147039

Now I am standing better he won't move despite reminders and continuing to move in other games. Does he want to lose on time or what?

Why do people do this?
    As this is a game in progress I don't comment the game itself.

But - there is a life outside RHP. Sometimes it is easy to forget that the opponents cat has to go to the vet, a friend has to move from his appartement and need help, his mother had a stroke and needs to take care of, and many other things.

I myself take a timeout a few days when I need to of reasons I will not write about here.

When the time comes to skull him out, do so, but until then he doesn't do anything wrong taking his time to the next move.
  3. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 11:13
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    As this is a game in progress I don't comment the game itself.

But - there is a life outside RHP. Sometimes it is easy to forget that the opponents cat has to go to the vet, a friend has to move from his appartement and need help, his mother had a stroke and needs to take care of, and many other things.

I myself take a timeout a few days when I need ...[text shortened]... him out, do so, but until then he doesn't do anything wrong taking his time to the next move.
    Of course I don't want any comments on the game.

Your point is taken but my opponent IS moving on all his other games!
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 11:20

Game 2147039

Why do people do this?
    That's the way it goes here on RHP. Many people slow down or ignore the game altogether when they're losing. Funny though when they're winning they can't wait to make their next move. Not everyone behaves this way but I've seen it enough on here to chalk it up to human behavior. The only solution that I see is for you to only play games that have short timebanks.
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 11:21
    You are correct. Your opponent is at least temporarily ignoring this game in the vague hopes that it will dissapear.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 11:38
    Originally posted by Ullr
    You are correct. Your opponent is at least temporarily ignoring this game in the vague hopes that it will dissapear.
    Eventually it will dissapear.

And I imagine that it is annoying to only have six games going.

When I only had six allowed games going concurrently, I was very annoyed with this. But now, as a sub, I don't care. I have more (than enough) games going. One slow game (or more) dosn't bother me.

But when a tournament round is standing still because of one game which is already lost for one of the players and the winner of that group isn't dependent of that game, I am annoyed. A torunament shouldn't get stuck of slow players.
  7. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 11:44
    Of course I don't want any comments on the game.

Perhaps he is taking his time to think of a decent reply? In any case, you can't claim to know that he is moving very slowly because he is losing.

As Ullr says, the best solution is to play games with shorter timebanks and timeouts.
  8. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 11:56
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    In any case, you can't claim to know that he is moving very slowly because he is losing.
    Absolutely!

He may have seen something I haven't.

Its just frustrating that he has stopped moving after initially moving quite fast.
  9. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 12:28
    I played a goof every time a player told me to play faster or to play a move. It is unsportsmanlike to tell a player to play a move. The game is timed is it not? I feel like I was cheated every time I lost a game as a result from such actions. The rules that placed a time on the game were to take care of delay tactics. Why do some of the players feel like the clock is not enough?
  10. Joined
    27 Feb '02
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 12:35
    I have to admit I am one of those people who slows down when the game starts to get tough. Sometimes this is because I'm so irritated at myself for playing a game poorly that I don't want to think about it right away. Sometimes it's because the position is confusing and I'm not satisfied with any moves. Sometimes it's because I have too many games going at once. Often this stalling backfires on me as I come back to the game having forgotten my plans and my opponent's threats and I make a very silly move. Other times (less often) when I return to the game the right move seems much more obvious.

As I see it, your time is your own, and there's no reason to apologize for using it for any reason.
  11. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 12:37
    Originally posted by gambit3
    I played a goof every time a player told me to play faster or to play a move. It is unsportsmanlike to tell a player to play a move. The game is timed is it not? I feel like I was cheated every time I lost a game as a result from such actions. The rules that placed a time on the game were to take care of delay tactics. Why do some of the players feel like the clock is not enough?
    Certainly, I don't disagree.

I haven't hassled him and won't. Just sent the E-mail reminders that RHP prompted me with plus a friendly message saying I don't want to win on time. No hassle I hope.

He certainly is entitled to use his time. I just wondered why?
  12. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 12:39
    Its correspondence chess, if you agree to the time settings at the start of the game why question how and when they use it.

He might be moving slowly so he can resign all his losing games in one painful go. Although hes probably just waiting for your rating to go up further before he resigns so he loses less points.
  13. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 12:46
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Eventually it will dissapear.

And I imagine that it is annoying to only have six games going.

When I only had six allowed games going concurrently, I was very annoyed with this. But now, as a sub, I don't care. I have more (than enough) games going. One slow game (or more) dosn't bother me.

But when a tournament round is standing still because of ...[text shortened]... sn't dependent of that game, I am annoyed. A torunament shouldn't get stuck of slow players.
    Yeah I agree. Once you've got a lot of games going the unnecessarily slow ones are less annoying. Just a curiosity is all. I totally agree with you about tournaments being held up because of one player dragging out a hopeless postion for weeks on end. Again thats why I tend to go for the tournaments with small timebanks.
  14. Joined
    11 Jun '06
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 12:48
    Originally posted by gambit3
    because in most circles the game is conceeded when lost while on RHP people tend to drag out a game even if they are getting creamed (i too am sometimes guilty of this)
  15. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 12:55
    Originally posted by jgvaccaro
    I have to admit I am one of those people who slows down when the game starts to get tough.
    Sure I do that too. Nothing wrong with that its just making your best effort is all. What I won't do is extend a game unnecessarily for weeks on end where my position is hopeless. I'd rather move quickly and either let my opponent get the kill or resign if its a total waste of time. To do otherwise is poor sportsmanship in my opinion. Not to mention I want to get those games out of my sight because its painful to look at them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree