1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 12:55
    A torunament I joined, not so long ago, I was to play with a player with a rating of 1430p.
    I looked into his games and found him to be a lot better than his poor ratings showed.
    If I would lose the game early, I would lose perhaps 22 rating points.
    Now he's up 1750, still climbing, and I would lose only 7 points or something now, each game.
    By dragging the game I save my rating points rather than rush and lose early and lose a lot of points. Lose I will, he is that good.

This is not the case in Dragon File's game - but it shows that sometimes it is rewarding not to play too fast.
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 13:06
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    A torunament I joined, not so long ago, I was to play with a player with a rating of 1430p.
    I looked into his games and found him to be a lot better than his poor ratings showed.
    If I would lose the game early, I would lose perhaps 22 rating points.
    Now he's up 1750, still climbing, and I would lose only 7 points or something now, each game.
    By dr ...[text shortened]... case in Dragon File's game - but it shows that sometimes it is rewarding not to play too fast.
    Yeah that's a good point. There are exceptions. Another one would be when a player has a decent rating of around 1600-1700 or so and has 200+ games going then dissapears from RHP for a while and timesout so many games that they plummet down to about 1100 or less and yet somehow come back in time to complete the games you've got with them. In that case it pays to wait a bit to let them climb back up closer to normal.
  3. Garner, NC
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 15:18
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    I really messed up the opening in this game and my oppenent could have forced my resignation on about the 4th move but he made a slight error (grabbed a pawn too many) and has slowly allowed me to claw my way back in.

Game 2147039

Now I am standing better he won't move despite reminders and continuing to move in other games. Does he want to lose on time or what?

Why do people do this?
    I often find myself moving quicker in some games than others. If a position gets complicated, I try not to rush my moves. Meanwhile, I may be looking at other games that have very easy positions. No need to slow down an easy game because a different game got complicated. So often I have opponents who have to wait for my move even though I am moving in other games.

In most cases in which I am winning, the game has become easy. On the other hand, if I am losing bad enough that a losing game is "easy", then I am probably going to just resign and be done with it.

Of course human nature makes us gravitate more toward games we're winning, but that is not necessarily out of spite.
  4. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 16:221 edit
    If there is a game where I can't decide on what move is the best move and I have lots of time left I will move in other games and then stare at the board in contemplation for long periods of time until I make a decision... sometimes it will take a day or two of putting the move off until I can decide... it is the nature of correspondence chess!

Edit: I see that the timebank in the game you are reffering to is 14 days... maybe you should take shorter time limits on your future games in order to avoid this problem?
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    06 Jul '06 17:221 edit
    I really messed up the opening in this game and my oppenent could have forced my resignation on about the 4th move but he made a slight error (grabbed a pawn too many) and has slowly allowed me to claw my way back in.

Game 2147039

Now I am standing better he won't move despite reminders and continuing to move in other games. Does he want to lose on time or what?

Why do people do this?
    "Time is part of the game, and mercy is for the weak."™

A win on time is as valid as a win by checkmate, especially in correspondence chess.
  6. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    07 Jul '06 04:27
    Certainly, I don't disagree.

I haven't hassled him and won't. Just sent the E-mail reminders that RHP prompted me with plus a friendly message saying I don't want to win on time. No hassle I hope.

He certainly is entitled to use his time. I just wondered why?
    Why do I delay? I have no idea what move to play and I do not want to lose.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree