Women's World Championship

Women's World Championship

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FL

Moves
15 Sep 08

Originally posted by elady
...what a great win!
Yes, it was a great game, good positional stuff and then lot's of tactics at the end. Sometimes I forget what a strong player Kosteniuk is.

FL

Moves
15 Sep 08

Second game of the match (scheduled for four games) is taking place at the moment.

http://nalchik2008.fide.com/live-games/?lang=eng

e

Jerusalem

Moves
15 Sep 08

Originally posted by Fat Lady
Second game of the match (scheduled for four games) is taking place at the moment.

It looks like another Kosteniuk's win, but let's wait

e

Jerusalem

Moves
15 Sep 08

Wow!! It's a draw despite Kosteniuk had 3 pawns advantage!

d

Moves
15 Sep 08

Originally posted by elady
Wow!! It's a draw despite Kosteniuk had 3 pawns advantage!
it's unbelievable. I would resign in this position!

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
16 Sep 08

This is at the semi-final stage now.

Alexandra Kosteniuk, who is apparently rather attractive (I don't notice such things as I am married), beat Pia Cramling in the first game of their two game match.

In the other semi-final, which would have made a great final, fourteen year old Yifan Hou beat Humpy Koneru in their first game. I hope Yifan wins this ...[text shortened]... tract lots of news coverage and sponsors.

http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/twic.html#news788
I've always been a Pia Cramling fan, but frankly I like them all!
Not only are they better looking than the men, but they play high quality chess without the HUGE ego's of the top male players.
🙂

N

The sky

Moves
16 Sep 08

Another draw today, so Hou needs to win with black tomorrow to have any chance of winning the championship. But there will always be a next time!

FL

Moves
17 Sep 08

Fourth and possibly last game of the match taking place at the moment.

Kosteniuk (White) needs to draw, Hou needs to win.

I don't like White's position after Black's 21st move, but I think they could well still be in book.

FL

Moves
17 Sep 08

Wow! A really exciting game. Kosteniuk has just managed to grab a perpetual so she wins the match and is the new Women's World Champion.

d

Moves
17 Sep 08

Wow! A really exciting game. Kosteniuk has just managed to grab a perpetual so she wins the match and is the new Women's World Champion.
It was a tactical game. I don't know how they can handle such crazy stuff in real time controls.

by the way, where is polgar, why isn't she in the championship?

s

Moves
17 Sep 08

Originally posted by diskamyl
It was a tactical game. I don't know how they can handle such crazy stuff in real time controls.

by the way, where is polgar, why isn't she in the championship?
If you mean Judit Polgar, she has never played for the women's world title as far as I know.

Susan Polgar? Don't know -but a few players refused to play because of it's close proximity to the Russia-Georgia conflict.

d

Moves
17 Sep 08
1 edit

Originally posted by streetfighter
If you mean Judit Polgar, she has never played for the women's world title as far as I know.

Susan Polgar? Don't know -but a few players refused to play because of it's close proximity to the Russia-Georgia conflict.
ah OK, thanks for the info. I was talking about the older one as far as I remember, which participates into tournaments with top male GMs. but I don't know her name.

e

Jerusalem

Moves
17 Sep 08

Very nice game. Kosteniuk was better in all 4 games.

v

Moves
17 Sep 08

good, she is cute and I am suprized that she is a chess champion, she does not look like us, chess geeks 🙂

FL

Moves
17 Sep 08

Originally posted by diskamyl
ah OK, thanks for the info. I was talking about the older one as far as I remember, which participates into tournaments with top male GMs. but I don't know her name.
It's actually the youngest one, Judit, who can compete with the top men. I don't the other two, Susan (the oldest) and Sofia (the middle sister) play competitively at all.