26 Sep '08 19:331 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 11:561 edit
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    I played Oxana Kosteniuk in a 4NCL weekend a few years go and managed to beat her. She was better looking than she appears in her photos - sultry with lovely, long black hair. I was quite chuffed that she agreed to go back to my hotel room to discuss the game...

(I made that last bit up. We went to the analysis room).

Unfortunately, she seems to h games since 2005, which was around the time that I met her. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.
    I remember that weekend too. Think I may have been sharing a room with Dave, so probably just as well he didn't take her back to our room, not to mention the fact that she was only 14 at the time.

Even then it was clear to me that Oxana was potentially going to be a better looker than big sis, who actually isn't that special in the flesh (IMHO) but appears to be very photogenic. Dave's above-mentioned victory was actually quite a triumph in that he normally falls apart when facing attractive female opposition!

I certainly agree with the earlier comment regarding la Paehtz, who has also graced the 4NCL. Actually, I think the best lookers are from Hungary. If you've ever played a tourney there, you'll know what I mean. Maybe I'll have to perfect my Scottish accent; I'm certainly old, fat, and ugly enough!
  3. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 13:57
    Originally posted by Northern Lad
    I remember that weekend too. Think I may have been sharing a room with Dave, so probably just as well he didn't take her back to our room, not to mention the fact that she was only 14 at the time.

Even then it was clear to me that Oxana was potentially going to be a better looker than big sis, who actually isn't that special in the flesh (IMHO) but a ...[text shortened]... . Maybe I'll have to perfect my Scottish accent; I'm certainly old, fat, and ugly enough!
    Hey, that's not true. The game was played in 2004. Oxans was born in 1987. So she was about 17 when we played. And she looked at least 18 - honest, your honour! 😉

Also, I dispute the claim that I "normally fall apart when facing attractive female opposition!"

My record against women players is not that bad, attractive or otherwise. Northen Lad remembers a couple of bad losses that I had against young female players about 20 years ago. For instance, I got crushed by a stunningly attractive Russian women in one of the Lloyds
    Bank tournaments in London. But I was distracted by the fire alarms going off in the middle of the game! As for the embarrassing loss to Harriet Hunt when she was 9 years old - well, she was very strong even at that age, and I had Black.

But my record in recent years has been much better. For instance I managed to hold draws against the British women players Cathy Forbes, Natasha Regan, Jovanka Houska and Melanie Buckley. I even managed to win against Melanie, the second time we played 🙂

Ok, I lost my last game in the EU Championship in Liverpool to an Austrian woman called Eva Moser. But she was was WGM rated just under 2400. I'm not so sure that Northern Lad would have fared any better!
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 20:03

5. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 20:491 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I'm pretty sure Natasha Regan was playing in the London League around 1988 to 1991, as that was the time I was playing for Hackney. One of my teammates admired her from afar but was too much of a worm to ask her out. I thought she was pretty, but too skinny. Also, she was a better player than me which was a real turn off.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 21:14

7. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 21:39
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    I played Oxana Kosteniuk in a 4NCL weekend a few years go and managed to beat her. She was better looking than she appears in her photos - sultry with lovely, long black hair. I was quite chuffed that she agreed to go back to my hotel room to discuss the game...

(I made that last bit up. We went to the analysis room).

Unfortunately, she seems to h ...[text shortened]... games since 2005, which was around the time that I met her. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.
    😀
  8. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 21:57
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Tryfon Gavriel of Barnet Chess Club might know more. I'll send him a PM.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree