1. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 18:57
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    On the other hand, Ketevan Arakhamia-Grant and John Grant seem to still be going strong after twelve years of marriage.

A friend of mine, Jonathan Sachs, met a strong (much stronger than him!) Kazakhstan lady player called Gulnara Sakhatova whilst at a tournament in Hungary (I played in the same tournament and started with 0/6). He later invited her over to England and they married, had four children together and lived happily ever after (so far).
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 19:18

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 19:43

4. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 20:24
    Aha! I love the story of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and hence I know the answer to that one - What a woman most desires is her own free will.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 20:581 edit
    i myself have given up any pretense of either ever meeting alexandra or of initiating any type of friendship. in practical terms how one goes about this i will never know, yes you can message her on her podcast, but what do you say to a married women who happens to be an inspirational chess player, ' errrr, ummm, hi, im robbie a complete peasant from some little Scottish backwater, and, ummm, you dont know me, but, errrr, i really like the sound of your voice!', yeah it might just work. i can hear her now, 'sorry i not understand, you speak my manager', gulp!

i myself have too much respect for the sanctity of marriage to try to befriend any married women with the nefarious motive of something more than friendship. she must remain as she is, a truly inspirational character. man i dig lady chess players, not only are they less egotistical generally and much better looking, they have a kind of fascination all of their own, you know a type of intellectual sophistication enhanced with feminine charm, its just too much for a poor mortal!

what happened to that couple was interesting, their relationship surely was initially based on friendship, what happened to that friendship that suddenly they could no longer remain friends? could they not overlook the idiosyncrasies of one other, was the reality so different from the expectations imagined or otherwise, sometimes its better to leave the flower untouched, because as soon as it is grasped, the petals fall to the ground.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 21:011 edit
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    True, but the alternative is trying make sense of the drivel they spout. That way madness lies.
    man i can spout as much drivel as any lady, even more so when in free form jazz mode, its one of life's pleasures !
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 21:041 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i myself have given up any pretense of either ever meeting alexandra or of initiating any type of friendship. blah blah blah (sob) blah blah blah
    Hey Robbie - have you considered...
    http://www.kosteniuk.com/oxana/index.php
    ... the younger sister!

21 years old and never been kissed.

Her FIDE rating is a miserable 2096. Sounds like she needs a good manager to me.
  8. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 23:17
    Hey Robbie - have you considered...
    http://www.kosteniuk.com/oxana/index.php
    ... the younger sister!

21 years old and never been kissed.

Her FIDE rating is a miserable 2096. Sounds like she needs a good manager to me.
    I played Oxana Kosteniuk in a 4NCL weekend a few years go and managed to beat her. She was better looking than she appears in her photos - sultry with lovely, long black hair. I was quite chuffed that she agreed to go back to my hotel room to discuss the game...

(I made that last bit up. We went to the analysis room).

Unfortunately, she seems to have given up chess. She hasn't played any rated games since 2005, which was around the time that I met her. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 23:43
    Not necessarily. There's a strange breed of woman that is attracted to jerks. In fact, the bigger the jerk, the more they want him.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Sep '08 00:40

11. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Sep '08 00:44

12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Sep '08 07:37
    Aha! I love the story of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and hence I know the answer to that one - What a woman most desires is her own free will.
    And nice green ribbons.

Richard
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Sep '08 23:481 edit
    'can develop a friendship that becomes more emotionally intimate, though not sexually intimate, than the bond between the married person and her (or his) mate.', mmm,

surely Duchess this is fraught with danger, as, is it not to ones partner that one should turn for emotional support? and why, like you say, that friendship is so important and why 'platonic', relationships work better in the long run than those born of high romance, lust or some other motive?

why marry someone if you cannot provide this support? it is insanely selfish, not only are you bringing ostracism on your self, but you are depriving someone else of finding someone who will provide that support! is this not the reason that two are better than one in that they can turn to each other for emotional support? there is nothing worse than being in a situation so full of potential, but having none of the benefits! it is the reason that men, thankfully have two ears and just one mouth, and why ladies should be free to express themselves, safe in the knowledge that someone cares enough about them to be concerned and provide support, is it not the very life blood of any relationship!

but alas, something that was initially whimsical and almost surrealistic in content has taken on a more serious tone, I quote from Hendrix ' somewhere a broom is wearily sweeping, up the broken pieces of yesterdays life, somewhere a queen is weeping, somewhere a king has no wife', and this is the secret my friends, if you want the lady in your life to treat you like a king, treat her like a queen! she may be the most powerful piece on the chess board, but without the support of her king and her friends she is vulnerable!

right enough of my drivel, im off to practice tactics, my future is heading towards me at present, just as the present is now past, and if i am to influence the future i need to act in the present, and that means tactics.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 00:351 edit

15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 00:47
    It's what they'll end up with whether they look or not. 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree