1. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Sep '08 14:102 edits
    This is at the semi-final stage now.

Alexandra Kosteniuk, who is apparently rather attractive (I don't notice such things as I am married), beat Pia Cramling in the first game of their two game match.

In the other semi-final, which would have made a great final, fourteen year old Yifan Hou beat Humpy Koneru in their first game. I hope Yifan wins this tournament - she has the talent to make it to 2700+ and becoming World Champion at such a young age would attract lots of news coverage and sponsors.

http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/twic.html#news788
  2. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Sep '08 14:58
    Kosteniuk is through to the final after snatching a perpetual check against Cramling.

Koneru duffed up Hou so they will need to play two more games (are these rapidplay games?).
  3. over your head
    Moves
    11 Sep '08 15:36
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Koneru duffed up Hou so they will need to play two more games (are these rapidplay games?).
    yes, 25 minutes plus 10 seconds a move
  4. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    11 Sep '08 16:51

Alexandra Kosteniuk, who is apparently rather attractive...
    All things are relative, Dear boy:
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=52198
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Sep '08 18:17
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    All things are relative, Dear boy:
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=52198
    kosteniuk made it to the final after 7 years by drawing the second game. Well I... certainly have a thing for this lady 🙂
  6. SubscriberkNIGHTHEAD
    aka DEFIANT
    Moves
    11 Sep '08 22:41
    http://www.chess-and-strategy.com/2007/09/le-cadeau-dalexandra-kosteniuk.html

Beautiful 🙂
  7. The sky
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 16:49

Alexandra Kosteniuk, who is apparently rather attractive (I don't notice such things as I am married), beat Pia Cramling in the first game of their two game match.

In the other semi-final, which would have made a great final, fourteen year old Yifan Hou beat Humpy Koneru in their first game. I hope Yifan wins this ...[text shortened]... tract lots of news coverage and sponsors.

http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/twic.html#news788
    Hou is through. 🙂 It would be great if she'd win the final!
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 17:09
    is zsofia polgar participating in this?
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '08 23:24
    Why is there a "Women's World Chess Championship" anyway? Should we infer from this that women are inherently inferior than men at playing chess? How about a "Gay World's Chess Championship?"
  10. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '08 23:50
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    Why is there a "Women's World Chess Championship" anyway? Should we infer from this that women are inherently inferior than men at playing chess? How about a "Gay World's Chess Championship?"
    Of course women are inferior to men at the highest level. It's just silly to pretend otherwise. It's like trying to ignore the fact that black men run faster than white men, even though no white man has ever run under 10 seconds for the 100m.

If there wasn't a separate title for Women's World Champion and, more importantly tournaments with prize money for women only, then I believe a lot less women would be able to take up chess as a profession.

Apart from Judit Polgar, the next strongest woman chess player ever is Humpy Koneru. She is around about 2600 level, and would find it hard to make a living playing chess if it wasn't for the fact that she is a woman.

As for the best ever gay chess player... I can only think of Anthony Santasiere, and I'm not even sure if he was openly gay. He must have been at least IM strength, and gave his name to my one of my favourite names for an opening - Santasiere's folly. I believe Weaver Admas was also gay.
  11. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Sep '08 00:10
    As for the best ever gay chess player... I can only think of Anthony Santasiere, and I'm not even sure if he was openly gay. He must have been at least IM strength, and gave his name to my one of my favourite names for an opening - Santasiere's folly. I believe Weaver Admas was also gay.
    I've heard that German GM Robert Huebner is gay.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Sep '08 00:16
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    A Fat Lady's chess championship
  13. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Sep '08 00:291 edit
    Originally posted by EmLasker
    A Fat Lady's chess championship
    The trouble with that is that you'd have second rate woman players stuffing themselves with doughnuts and lard just so they could win some sort of title.
  14. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Sep '08 00:51
    Kosteniuk beat Hou with Black in the first game of the final.

15. Jerusalem
    Moves
    15 Sep '08 08:32
    Kosteniuk beat Hou with Black in the first game of the final.

[pgn]
    [Event "WCh-Women"]
    [Site "Nalchik RUS"]
    [Date "2008.09.14"]
    [Round "6.1"]
    [White "Hou Yifan"]
    [Black "Kosteniuk,A"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [WhiteElo "2557"]
    [BlackElo "2510"]
    [EventDate "2008.09.14"]
    [ECO "C90"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4. Ba4 Nf6 5. O-O Be7 6. Re1 b5
    7. Bb3 ...[text shortened]... g6 44. b3 e4 45. c4 bxc4 46. bxc4 Qg5 47. c5 f4
    48. cxd6 fxg3 0-1
    [/pgn]
    ...what a great win!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree