1. Joined
    08 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 17:466 edits
    Hi chessfans,

I started playing chess six years ago and I have just passed the magic barrier of 2000 FIDE rating. I trained chess on a daily basis for the last three years. From my own experiences I am convinced that anyone with a normal intelligence can reach the same level as I have, given the right instructions and coaching. Allthough I did all my training myself I always wished I'd had some help from a better player than me. I could never afford a "real" chesscoach myself. Because of this I'm now offering one lucky person this help!

There are no limitations to your playing strength, what is important is that you are willing and detemined to become a good player (that is a strong club player, 1800+ rating). There are though three requirements that I ask for:

1. You play in a club
    2. You have played at least one tournament
    3. You have an established rating

If you answerd yes on all three questions then you may consider yourself a candidate. All I want from you now is an e-mail with a personal description and 3 annotated tournament games that you consider to be characteristic for your playing (e.g. typical mistakes, positions you like/dislike and so on). Preferably in .pgn format. I would also like you to answer the following questions in your e-mail:

1. What is it you like about chess?
    2. Why do you want to become a good player?
    3. How much time do you have for serious study?

I want you to answer these questions as truthfully as possible otherwise there is no idea. Note that there are no correct answers. What I am hoping for is to get a better picture of you as a person and your ambitions.

About the coaching:

First thing we'll do is to try to find out what you are weak at and from there on make a studyplan that fits you. Then we will go on and setup small goals on our way and checkpoints where we will evaluate how your progress is going.

As I, like most others, have limited time I think e-mail is the best way to communicate. Also playing on FICS is a good alternative although it requires scheduled meetings which could be a problem. This is why I will not help someone from my local club as they will not agree to only communicate via e-mail. If I would coach someone in real life it would take me a lot of time considering travel and so on. That is one reason why I like to do it this way. Another alternative could therefore be to play correspondence games here on RHP.

So again why am I doing this you are probably wondering? The reason is simply as stated before that I never got any similar help myself when I was a lower rated player. Also, I consider it to be good way to teach myself aswell. Many times you learn a lot from teaching other people.

OK, if you are serious about becoming a good chess player then send me an e-mail. I will answer your e-mail within a couple of weeks so please be patient. This is because I would like to be able to choose from a couple of candidates. I might even accept more then one player.

Best regards

Send your mail to chessinstructor@hotmail.com
  2. London
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 18:02
    Originally posted by chessmentor
    Hi chessfans,

I started playing chess six years ago and I have just passed the magic barrier of 2000 FIDE rating. I trained chess on a daily basis for the last three years. From my own experiences I am convinced that anyone with a normal intelligence can reach the same level as I have, given the right instructions and coaching. Allthough I did all my ...[text shortened]... ore then one player.

Best regards

Is your chess club in the fifthdivision?
  3. Standard memberAmaurote
    No Name Maddox
    County Doledrum
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 18:04
    Hi chessfans,

I started playing chess six years ago and I have just passed the magic barrier of 2000 FIDE rating. I trained chess on a daily basis for the last three years. From my own experiences I am convinced that anyone with a normal intelligence can reach the same level as I have, given the right instructions and coaching. Allthough I did all my ...[text shortened]... ore then one player.

Best regards

Sorry, I'm flattered, but I'm not gay.
  4. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 18:27
    You will probably get better responses if you play a few games - or tell the world your FICS username....

at least that way - the soon to be "student" can see how good you are, as for me, the offer is tempting, but i don't meet the criteria.

In addtition to that, we have had many hoaxer's on this site - we have had "IM's" posting their (and by their I mean Fritz's) games and offering psuedo-analysis others can learn from.

so, unfortunatly, you need to prove you are genuine.
  5. Joined
    08 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 18:571 edit
    Thank you Shinidoki. I understand what you mean. Unfortunatly I don't like to publish my real name. But ofcourse I will play games here on RHP and people can judge if I am genuine or not. I can also play blitz games to prove myself.

I will not have acces to the internet for a couple of days as I am going away. But if you would like to play me, then just send me an email and we can arrange something. I will probably get back on wednesday next week.
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 19:05
    Thank you Shinidoki. I understand what you mean. Unfortunatly I don't like to publish my real name. But ofcourse I will play games here on RHP and people can judge if I am genuine or not. I can also play blitz games to prove myself.

I will not have acces to the internet for a couple of days as I am going away. But if you would like to play me, then ju ...[text shortened]... send me an email and we can arrange something. I will probably get back on wednesday next week.
    I will mail you my info very soon. I'm interested if you want to help me get to 2000+.

You can check out my blog, address is under my profile, that has all my chess stuff.

I'm very serious about my chess and in 2 years after joining a chess club and playing seriously i'm at 1852, planning on getting to 2000 in 2 years time.

Would it be possible for you to send me an e-mail with your name and chess rating on say a Fide site etc... so i know your are not joking around?
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 19:07
    You DO NOT have to post your real name, but, in order to be taken seroiusally, you will have to offer some proof of your ability -- be that posting an FICS handle, post a few of your own anotated games, play here, etc ... or even, make good posts in other threads....

...If people clicked on your profile and saw you had a 2000 rating here @ RHP many people would jump at the chance - but because we don't see a nice big high graph, we remain a little skeptical, well, I do anyway.
  8. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 21:17
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    You DO NOT have to post your real name, but, in order to be taken seroiusally, you will have to offer some proof of your ability -- be that posting an FICS handle, post a few of your own anotated games, play here, etc ... or even, make good posts in other threads....

...If people clicked on your profile and saw you had a 2000 rating here @ RHP many pe ...[text shortened]... ut because we don't see a nice big high graph, we remain a little skeptical, well, I do anyway.
    Could this be a ploy to get 3 annotated games from each of us?

You never know with some of those people you meet on Rhp.

Nothing personal but do you got some proof or identification that you are who you say you are, being a 2000+ Fide player?
  9. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 22:24
    Yes, those annotated games from amature players sell for big $$ on ebay....
    You would have to enter this lottery to find out if hes for real.
    Im paying for lessons right now, otherwise i would fit the requirements.
    Instead of being sceptical, see theres something you might learn.
    Maybe he just wants to see if he can teach someone.
    I barter guitar lessons for chess lessons, for 2 years now. Its intresting to see how its not easy to teach someone, and if they can learn from your wisdom
  10. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 22:51
    Originally posted by Grandmouster
    Yes, those annotated games from amature players sell for big $$ on ebay....
    You would have to enter this lottery to find out if hes for real.
    Im paying for lessons right now, otherwise i would fit the requirements.
    Instead of being sceptical, see theres something you might learn.
    Maybe he just wants to see if he can teach someone.
    I barter guitar l ...[text shortened]... Its intresting to see how its not easy to teach someone, and if they can learn from your wisdom
    I said before this isn't personal.

You know as well as I do that there are a lot of imposters on this site. We just want to be certain about this.

As for the games, what if they are going to be posted on a website or blog and you don't want them to be.

Better to be sure.
  11. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 23:05
    Originally posted by RahimK
    I said before this isn't personal.

You know as well as I do that there are a lot of imposters on this site. We just want to be certain about this.

As for the games, what if they are going to be posted on a website or blog and you don't want them to be.

Better to be sure.
    hmmmm.....hahaha look at this patzers game..hahaha.....🙄🙄🙄🙄
    Something like that?
    Whats to stop anyone from getting any games here, and posting them on their blog?
    Everyones moves are here, and can be accessed.
    Same with any games in my lib, or last 20 games played on ICC.
    Having them self annotated gives the potential mentor, an insight into their thinking, and understanding of the game.
    Im not sure why this poster wants to give their time, and energy to help someone learn, but i dont see too much sinister motives, beyond having 3 self annotated games of a non-expert.
  12. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 23:15
    hmmmm.....hahaha look at this patzers game..hahaha.....🙄🙄🙄🙄
    Something like that?
    Whats to stop anyone from getting any games here, and posting them on their blog?
    Everyones moves are here, and can be accessed.
    Same with any games in my lib, or last 20 games played on ICC.
    Having them self annotated gives the potential mentor, an insight into t ...[text shortened]... but i dont see too much sinister motives, beyond having 3 self annotated games of a non-expert.
    If he's doing it for the love of the game, and is genuine, that's great.

But there's nothing wrong with Rahim - who is a strong and dedicated player - wanting to check out the guy's bone fides before throwing in his lot with him.

It's unlikely the guy's a fraud, but given some of the things we have seen here - well, nothing is impossible.

Rahim wants some sort of reassurance - why shouldn't someone, if they are genuine, offer it via PM?
  13. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 23:37
    Originally posted by dottewell
    If he's doing it for the love of the game, and is genuine, that's great.

But there's nothing wrong with Rahim - who is a strong and dedicated player - wanting to check out the guy's bone fides before throwing in his lot with him.

It's unlikely the guy's a fraud, but given some of the things we have seen here - well, nothing is impossible.

Rahim wa ...[text shortened]... s some sort of reassurance - why shouldn't someone, if they are genuine, offer it via PM?
    Some people want to help. To mistrust, or malign good intentions, is not ok.
    I see it as someone offering to mentor, or teach someone.
    Isint this exactly what hes doing himself with his post?
    To voice negativity, where there might not be evil intentions, seems to be a reflection of someones own "pot calling the kettle black"
  14. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 23:42
    Some people want to help. To mistrust, or malign good intentions, is not ok.
    I see it as someone offering to mentor, or teach someone.
    Isint this exactly what hes doing himself with his post?
    To voice negativity, where there might not be evil intentions, seems to be a reflection of someones own "pot calling the kettle black"
    Send me your credit card details and I'll explain exactly why you are wrong.
  15. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 00:051 edit
    Hi chessfans,

I started playing chess six years ago and I have just passed the magic barrier of 2000 FIDE rating. I trained chess on a daily basis for the last three years. From my own experiences I am convinced that anyone with a normal intelligence can reach the same level as I have, given the right instructions and coaching. Allthough I did all my ore then one player.

Best regards

There are sites that are dedicated to publishing stuff like this. Join something like "Andrew Martin Chess Academy" although at only 2000 they would probably giggle.

As to accepting and e-mailing a people who just turn up on a site offering free(?) help then my advice is be careful. Why would someone make an account on redhotpawn and then post in the forum offering this. Surely anyone offering coaching to people would just go to a regular chess forum and not a correspondence site.........even ask for candidates on the FICS chat channel.......

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree