1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 06:02
    Originally posted by smw6869
    Dear Fabian, I have never experienced the euclidial division algorithm position. How many repititions? Over and over again? For how long? Gracious sakes, i must change my diapers. Later, king of the 50's rock and roll era.

Granny.
    You use the euclidian division algorithm whenever you divide 'by hand'. Try to divide 1/3 using pencil and paper you see that you go into a repetition quite instantly, and you realize that you can fill in the threes as long as you like.

Those of you who don't know the euclidian division algorithm - google it.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 06:44
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Using the euclidian division algoritm, as you do when you divide manually without any calculator, it is easily seen that the proof is unneccesary. Prform the algoritm and you'll see by yourself.
    I should have used Fabian's argument at Uni .. life would have been so much easier!

"... it is easily seen that the proof is unneccesary."
  3. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 17:30
    You use the euclidian division algorithm whenever you divide 'by hand'. Try to divide 1/3 using pencil and paper you see that you go into a repetition quite instantly, and you realize that you can fill in the threes as long as you like.

Those of you who don't know the euclidian division algorithm - google it.
    Oh Fabian darling, i shall try the algorithm "by hand", but only till i get the repetitions down correctly then i hope you will show me the more advanced form, in person maybe. Just thinking of those Rock & Roll hands of yours makes me .......oops.

Granny.
  4. Joined
    13 Sep '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '07 23:15
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    You snuck in an extra +1 in the fourth step without including it's partner -1. This is incorrect.
    but is it? theoretically it goes on infinitely so why can't i do that?

If you had an infinite series you could stop after any term. so technically I haven't done anything wrong.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    07 Oct '07 23:271 edit
    Originally posted by Arachnarchist
    but is it? theoretically it goes on infinitely so why can't i do that?

If you had an infinite series you could stop after any term. so technically I haven't done anything wrong.
    The ... implies that the pattern repeats. The pattern with more +1's than -1's is different than the pattern with equal amounts of both.

The decimal definition of pi cannot be stopped after any term. Isn't it an infinite series?
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 07:37
    how about this to prove 1=0
    0= 0 + 0 + 0 + . . .
    0= (1 - 1) + (1 - 1) + (1 - 1) + . . .
    0= 1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + . . .
    0= 1 + (-1 + 1) + (-1 + 1) + (-1 + 1) + . . .
    0= 1 + 0 + 0 + 0 + . . .= 1
    This is not a proof, as we all know already.

First - what does ... means? It means that there is a repetition of a pattern infinit number of times. It doesn't have an end.

So when I see the expression of 1-1+1-1+... I see this as a limit with n numbers of term and n approaching infinity.

Does this limit has a value? No, of course not. There are no last term. Using this expression as if it has a value you can easily "prove" that 1=0.
  7. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 09:58
    If you had an infinite series you could stop after any term.
    No! It's an infinite series, so you HAVE to go on!
  8. not quite sure.help!
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 17:27
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    How do you know its repeated forever?

The whole point of mathematical proof is its VIGOUR!
    the reason that numbers and mathematical proof is vigour is because they go on infinitely. this is why we use numbers as time because they can be easily repeated and will continue on no matter what. if you can give me the highest number in the world known, ill gladly take it and add 1 to make it bigger.

Aniways id like to move on to pi. does anybody know any puzzles that include pi? i like pie.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 17:55
    Originally posted by tournymangr
    Aniways id like to move on to pi. does anybody know any puzzles that include pi? i like pie.
    Rhubarb pie with a ball of vanilla ice with pecans and a nice hot vanilla sauce, that's what I like!
  10. not quite sure.help!
    Moves
    10 Oct '07 13:31
    Rhubarb pie with a ball of vanilla ice with pecans and a nice hot vanilla sauce, that's what I like!
    mmmmm....that sounds really good!! i think ill go and have some apple pie right now cuz i dont have any rhubarb 🙁
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '07 14:08
    mmmmm....that sounds really good!! i think ill go and have some apple pie right now cuz i dont have any rhubarb 🙁
    I like round pies, and for fun I divide its diameter with its circumference, and get another pie.😵
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 17:54
    the reason that numbers and mathematical proof is vigour is because they go on infinitely. this is why we use numbers as time because they can be easily repeated and will continue on no matter what. if you can give me the highest number in the world known, ill gladly take it and add 1 to make it bigger.

My favourite is

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=72379
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    17 Oct '07 02:43
    This is not a proof, as we all know already.

First - what does ... means? It means that there is a repetition of a pattern infinit number of times. It doesn't have an end.

So when I see the expression of 1-1+1-1+... I see this as a limit with n numbers of term and n approaching infinity.

Does this limit has a value? No, of course not. There are no last term. Using this expression as if it has a value you can easily "prove" that 1=0.
    Ah, excellent point.
  14. Joined
    13 Sep '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '07 15:07
    does anyone no the .99=1?? i do🙂
    IF you look at .99... as the Series E(sigma)9/(10^n)
    E 9/(10^n) = 9 E (1/10)^n
    It is a geomentric series so the sum of the series is a/(1-r)
    9*((1/10)/(1-1/10)= 9*(1/10)(10/9) = 9*(1/9) = 9/9 = 1
    .99... = 1
  15. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Oct '07 16:47
    IF you look at .99... as the Series E(sigma)9/(10^n)
    E 9/(10^n) = 9 E (1/10)^n
    It is a geomentric series so the sum of the series is a/(1-r)
    9*((1/10)/(1-1/10)= 9*(1/10)(10/9) = 9*(1/9) = 9/9 = 1
    .99... = 1
    is this your chat up line?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree