2+2=5

2+2=5

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
20 Sep 07

Originally posted by eatmybishop
but you cant do that with a cpu architecture, the cpu wasnt designed that way; to us we think we can but the cpu architecture will always convert it back to its natural state
You think the computer architecture uses a "+" as notation? 😕

e

Moves
20 Sep 07

Originally posted by Palynka
He said:
"1 AND 0 = 0"

He did not say:
"1 + 0 = 0"

Look at his post.

Edit - Well said, wolfgang.
i quote: "Therefore, as far as computers is concerned, 1 + 1 = 0"

maybe it is you who needs to read his post...! read it again and get back to me, did he not say that...? therefore, he/she was wrong... gonna apologise now..?

e

Moves
20 Sep 07

go and hide mr panda killer

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
20 Sep 07

i quote: "Therefore, as far as computers is concerned, 1 + 1 = 0"

maybe it is you who needs to read his post...! read it again and get back to me, did he not say that...? therefore, he/she was wrong... gonna apologise now..?
Don't try to change the subject. The boolean algebra posted by lausey was:

0 AND 0 = 0
1 AND 0 = 0
0 AND 1 = 0
1 AND 1 = 1

your boolean algebra is incorrect..

This is what I quoted and to what I said "Wrong." You changed every one of his AND to "+" and claimed HIS algebra was incorrect.

It's sad that you have such short memory problems, really.

N

The sky

Moves
20 Sep 07

wow! the first (and no doubt the last) person to say i got something right on rhp.... doesnt happen often so i'll make the most of it...
Maybe it would happen more often if you'd more often say something that's right.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
20 Sep 07

but you cant do that with a cpu architecture, the cpu wasnt designed that way; to us we think we can but the cpu architecture will always convert it back to its natural state
For 500 points, which three types of logic gates are used to add numbers?

e

Moves
20 Sep 07

Originally posted by SwissGambit
for 1000 points, why dont you play any games?

e

Moves
20 Sep 07

Don't try to change the subject. The boolean algebra posted by lausey was:

[b]0 AND 0 = 0
1 AND 0 = 0
0 AND 1 = 0
1 AND 1 = 1

your boolean algebra is incorrect..

This is what I quoted and to what I said "Wrong." You changed every one of his AND to "+" and claimed HIS algebra was incorrect.

It's sad that you have such short memory problems, really.[/b]
i'm not changing the subject, it's a really simple question, can you answer it for me? did lausey say in his/her post: "Therefore, as far as computers is concerned, 1 + 1 = 0"

it's a really simple question, can you just answer yes or no?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
20 Sep 07

i'm not changing the subject, it's a really simple question, can you answer it for me? did lausey say in his/her post: "Therefore, as far as computers is concerned, 1 + 1 = 0"

it's a really simple question, can you just answer yes or no?
No. He said:

"1 + 1 = 0 (with 1 as a carry bit)" but he wasn't talking about boolean there.

m

Moves
20 Sep 07

yes you can, just like you can if you program in c or java... do you honestly think the cpu architecture sees it that way; of course not, i also program in assembly; c++, java, c etc will have their statements converted to an in-memory layout via the compiler using the natural expressions of boolean algebra... did you learn anything about c++???
Joke. Maybe not a particularly funny one, but a joke.

But if you do want to be picky - no, you can't do it in Java. Java doesn't support operator overloading (except for the built-in overloading of + for String concatenation).

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
20 Sep 07

for 1000 points, why dont you play any games?
If you can answer my question, then I'll answer this one.

F

Moves
20 Sep 07

Is this discussion sill in progress?
Guys, this is simple stuff, can't you just look it up in books instead of discussing different things (Boolean algebra and binary arithmetics) as it were the same thing.
This is not even amusing, it is embarrassing...

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
20 Sep 07

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Is this discussion sill in progress?
Guys, this is simple stuff, can't you just look it up in books instead of discussing different things (Boolean algebra and binary arithmetics) as it were the same thing.
This is not even amusing, it is embarrassing...
You just did exactly what I have been doing, so you can come down from that high horse.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
21 Sep 07

Originally posted by SwissGambit
heh, that brings back memories. 🙂 we had to make all basic hardware components out of logic gates (on paper) in our computer architecture class in the uni. it was a bit of a pain, but at the same time extremely illuminating. suddenly assembler started to make a whole lot more sense.

F

Moves
21 Sep 07
1 edit

You just did exactly what I have been doing, so you can come down from that high horse.
We sit both firm and steady on the high horse, we shouldn't leave it.

I've read all your postings in this thread and I cannot find any error you've made. We agree totally and we both know the difference between Boolean algebra and binary arithmetics.

I can't understand why people find it so hard to understand, there are sources everywhere on internet, why doesn't people read it in order to understand? Why do people try to bend the definitions just to win the discussion? The truth is out there, go find it!