2+2=5

2+2=5

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N

The sky

Moves
20 Sep 07

Originally posted by eatmybishop
if its based on or operations its right... please tell me where that is wrong
Since when is "+" used as a symbol for OR operations? You also said that lausey's boolean algebra was incorrect, which is wasn't. But yes, you are right, if you use OR instead of AND, your table is correct.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
20 Sep 07

The original question was when is 10+10=100 correct

we can obviously give lots of instances when it is wrong

but it is correct in binary arithmetic

end of story

case closed

goodnight

e

Moves
20 Sep 07
3 edits

Originally posted by Nordlys
Since when is "+" used as a symbol for OR operations? You also said that lausey's boolean algebra was incorrect, which is wasn't. But yes, you are right, if you use OR instead of AND, your table is correct.
the + is used as a representation of the or operations; just like 'and' is represented by . and 'not' is '

i.e...

AND Operations ·
0·0 = 0 A·0 = 0

NOT Operations '
0' = 1 A'' = A

a little out of depth here nordlys... maybe you need to join the others

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
20 Sep 07
2 edits

if its based on or operations its right... please tell me where that is wrong
Because lausey defined + to be the operation 'AND'. Therefore, the algebra contained in his post is correct.

Edit - Actually, he wrote AND, so notation isn't even a question.

N

The sky

Moves
20 Sep 07

the + is used as a representation of the or operations; just like 'and' is represented by . and 'not' is '

i.e...

AND Operations ·
0·0 = 0 A·0 = 0

NOT Operations '
0' = 1 A'' = A

a little out of depth here nordlys... maybe you need to join the others
I am used to the notation where V is used for OR, an upside-down V for AND, and something looking approximately like a forged -, for NOT. But I looked it up (probably have actually seen it before, so should have remembered), and your use of + is also correct - good for you, at least you got one thing right! I can't find a source for your way of representing "NOT", but I won't exclude the possibility that some people use that, too.

Lausey's table is still correct.

e

Moves
20 Sep 07
2 edits

Originally posted by Nordlys
I am used to the notation where V is used for OR, an upside-down V for AND, and something looking approximately like a forged -, for NOT. But I looked it up (probably have actually seen it before, so should have remembered), and your use of + is also correct - good for you, at least you got one thing right! I can't find a source for your way of representing xclude the possibility that some people use that, too.

Lausey's table is still correct.
wow! the first (and no doubt the last) person to say i got something right on rhp.... doesnt happen often so i'll make the most of it...

is he/she right..?

he/she said 1 + 1 = 0 but the + represents the or operation, therefore, it doesnt, 1 + 1 = 1 if boolean algebra logical expressions are used in their natural form

e

Moves
20 Sep 07
2 edits

Originally posted by Palynka
Because lausey defined + to be the operation 'AND'. Therefore, the algebra contained in his post is correct.

Edit - Actually, he wrote AND, so notation isn't even a question.
sorry, but i think you have no idea what you're saying, you cannot define + to 'and' in boolean algebra... that's like saying i define = to + in decimal notation

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
20 Sep 07

he/she said 1 + 1 = 0
Wrong.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
20 Sep 07

sorry, but i think you have no idea what you're saying
I'm pretty sure you have no idea.

e

Moves
20 Sep 07
2 edits

Originally posted by Palynka
Wrong.
i take it back, you are right there, he didnt say that, my mistake; but he did say 1 + 0 = 0 where is should read 1 + 0 = 1... that is because the + represents the or operation in boolean algebra... he/she should have written 1·0 = 0 as it's the - that represents the and operation...

you keep on saying i'm wrong yet don't give an explanation; could you please tell me where i'm wrong on this and i'll happily back down

m

Moves
20 Sep 07

sorry, but i think you have no idea what you're saying, you cannot define + to 'and' in boolean algebra... that's like saying i define = to + in decimal notation
You want to try programming in C++. You can define + to be whatever the hell you want it to be. And = for that matter 🙂

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
20 Sep 07

?

OK. I define '=' as add

I define '*' as equals

1=1*2

Its no big deal. Simple operations like addition have standardised symbols but other mathematical concepts have a variety of ways of writing.

Consider all the ways of writing differentials.

(y' = dy/dt et cetera)

Mathematicians define things all the time (axioms) in order to get more interesting stuff out (theorems).

Who defined '=' as equals to start with? God?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
20 Sep 07
1 edit

i take it back, you are right there, he didnt say that, my mistake; but he did say 1 + 0 = 0 where is should read 1 + 0 = 1... that is because the + represents the or operation in boolean algebra... he/she should have written 1·0 = 0 as it's the - that represents the and operation...

you keep on saying i'm wrong yet don't give an explanation; could you please tell me where i'm wrong on this and i'll happily back down
He said:
"1 AND 0 = 0"

He did not say:
"1 + 0 = 0"

Look at his post.

Edit - Well said, wolfgang.

e

Moves
20 Sep 07
1 edit

Originally posted by mtthw
You want to try programming in C++. You can define + to be whatever the hell you want it to be. And = for that matter 🙂
yes you can, just like you can if you program in c or java... do you honestly think the cpu architecture sees it that way; of course not, i also program in assembly; c++, java, c etc will have their statements converted to an in-memory layout via the compiler using the natural expressions of boolean algebra... did you learn anything about c++???

e

Moves
20 Sep 07
1 edit

Originally posted by wolfgang59
?

OK. I define '=' as add

I define '*' as equals

1=1*2

Its no big deal. Simple operations like addition have standardised symbols but other mathematical concepts have a variety of ways of writing.

Consider all the ways of writing differentials.

(y' = dy/dt et cetera)

Mathematicians define things all the time (axioms) in order to get more interesting stuff out (theorems).

Who defined '=' as equals to start with? God?
but you cant do that with a cpu architecture, the cpu wasnt designed that way; to us we think we can but the cpu architecture will always convert it back to its natural state