1. Joined
    01 Jul '04
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 00:31
    For starters (took me half an hour to solve this one, ugh):

What is the next letter in the following sequence?

O, T, T, F, F, S, S
  2. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 00:40
    Why, it's obviously: g
  3. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 00:41
    alright. just messin with ya, it's: e
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 01:10
    Originally posted by abejnood
    For starters (took me half an hour to solve this one, ugh):

What is the next letter in the following sequence?

O, T, T, F, F, S, S
    e,n,t,e,t...

Took me less than a minute.
  5. Joined
    01 Jul '04
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 01:31
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    e,n,t,e,t...

Took me less than a minute.
    Congratulations, and to the person before you too, you're smarter than me then by a factor of 30, then? Ah well.

Next question (which I will unashamedly admit I failed miserably at):

Imagine the following to be all made out of matches. Now move one match to make the equation true:

VI = II
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 01:361 edit
    Congratulations, and to the person before you too, you're smarter than me then by a factor of 30, then? Ah well.

Imagine the following to be all made out of matches. Now move one match to make the equation true:

VI = II
    I doubt I'm smarter than you. I can't solve most puzzles like this. I end up getting frustrated too fast. This one just happened to coincide perfectly with the first thought that jumped into my head as a strategy for analyzing.

New puzzle - Remove one match from the right and place it diagonally over the equals sign so that it now reads "does not equal".

Hey! Maybe I really am a genius!
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 01:37

VI = II
    Move one of the I's diagonally across the equals sign, making it mean "not equal to." (so you have "five does not equal two," or "six does not equal one," if you prefer)
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 01:38
    Originally posted by castlerook
    Move one of the I's diagonally across the equals sign, making it mean "not equal to." (so you have "five does not equal two," or "six does not equal one," if you prefer)
    HAHA I WIN
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 01:38
    Beat me to it 🙂
  10. Joined
    01 Jul '04
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 01:39
    I doubt I'm smarter than you. I can't solve most puzzles like this. I end up getting frustrated too fast. This one just happened to coincide perfectly with the first thought that jumped into my head as a strategy for analyzing.

New puzzle - Remove one match from the right and place it diagonally over the equals sign so that it now reads "does not equal".
    Haha, that's what my father said too. Really, quite brilliant, but I'm looking for another solution.

By the way my dad also explored the idea of moving one so that the V becomes an X on the left, so you have eleven = eleven with one in roman numerals and one in arabic, another interesting solution. However, there's yet another one...
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 01:40
    Haha, that's what my father said too. Really, quite brilliant, but I'm looking for another solution.

By the way my dad also explored the idea of moving one so that the V becomes an X on the left, so you have eleven = eleven with one in roman numerals and one in arabic, another interesting solution. However, there's yet another one...
    Ah, that's clever.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 01:474 edits
    See? Now that the first couple ideas didn't get the right answer, my brain just gives up.

How about picking up one of the matches of the V and pushing the other so it's vertical? Then I'm only "moving" one...directly anyway. The other one's moved by the match.

Maybe it hasn't given up yet.

I think I got it. Move one of the equals matches so it's angled and now reads "is greater than". It won't look perfect, because the other one will be horizontal and not angled, but it's an idea.
  13. Joined
    01 Jul '04
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 01:58
    See? Now that the first couple ideas didn't get the right answer, my brain just gives up.

How about picking up one of the matches of the V and pushing the other so it's vertical? Then I'm only "moving" one...directly anyway. The other one's moved by the match.

Maybe it hasn't given up yet.

I think I got it. Move one of the equals matches so ...[text shortened]... perfect, because the other one will be horizontal and not angled, but it's an idea.
    You've got the right idea with making new symbols, now you just need the right one.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 02:32
    You've got the right idea with making new symbols, now you just need the right one.
    Well if we're making something like a + out of the = it's no longer an equation. It's not something like that is it?
  15. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 12:57
    move one of the V matches and place horizontally over the equals sign so that it reads II is equivalent to II?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree