1. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 21:36
    What is the next letter in the following sequence?

O, T, T, F, F, S, S

e,n,t,e,t...
    Of course i am a resourceful yet blithering idiot that hasn't graduated from highs school yet. 😉 I can barely read and write.

Anyway... explain this to me.
  2. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 21:37
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Here's the next question:

How many superintelligent people are in this thread? Display the answer by moving one of the brackets.
    Define what you mean by superintelligent.
  3. Joined
    01 Jul '04
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 21:41
    Originally posted by d36366
    Infinitely fast. To bring the average speed up to 30mph it would need to complete the rest of the journey in no time.

Simple example, if the journey is 30 miles, then the first half of the distance (15 miles) will have taken an hour at 15mph. You need to cover the full 30 miles in that hour to average 30mph, so you need to teleport from there to the finish ...[text shortened]... ed x time: X = 30 (T + U) = 30T + 30 U

To summarise X = 30T and X = 30T + 30U. Hence U = 0.
    Correct. I can only hope that this was the first time you heard this problem and didn't seek help, its really cool to figure it out yourself.
  4. Joined
    01 Jul '04
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 21:49
    Now changing gears a bit, name the 8 letter word with only one vowel. Then, name the word with three sets of double letters in a row (I actually knew this second one, thanks to Encylclopedia Brown).
  5. Joined
    24 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 21:51
    Originally posted by abejnood
    Correct. I can only hope that this was the first time you heard this problem and didn't seek help, its really cool to figure it out yourself.
    I hadn't seen it before, but I do have a degree in mathematics. Probably I should have left it for someone who has had less mathematical training - sorry, I just couldn't resist.
  6. Joined
    24 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 21:54
    Now changing gears a bit, name the 8 letter word with only one vowel. Then, name the word with three sets of double letters in a row (I actually knew this second one, thanks to Encylclopedia Brown).
    8 letter word: rhythmic

Don't know the other one.

One for Londoners: name the tube station whose name contains none of the letters of the word "mackerel".
  7. Joined
    01 Jul '04
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 22:16
    8 letter word: rhythmic

Don't know the other one.

One for Londoners: name the tube station whose name contains none of the letters of the word "mackerel".
    Interesting. It seems to work, I'm looking for another word though.
  8. Joined
    01 Jul '04
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 22:16
    I hadn't seen it before, but I do have a degree in mathematics. Probably I should have left it for someone who has had less mathematical training - sorry, I just couldn't resist.
    Nah, no one else would've gotten it anyway.
  9. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    02 Jun '07 22:18
    A truck travels 15 mph for the first half of the distance of a trip. How fast must it travel in the second half of the distance in order to average 30 mph for the total trip?
    Poorly worded. If the first and second half of the trip is measured in distance, then the answer is trivial. So the fact is this is a simple algebra problem, the infinite answer doesn't wash. You guys are just joking i hope. 😉
  10. Joined
    01 Jul '04
    Moves
    03 Jun '07 02:27
    Originally posted by eldragonfly
    Of course i am a resourceful yet blithering idiot that hasn't graduated from highs school yet. 😉 I can barely read and write.

Anyway... explain this to me.
    One, two, three, four, five...
  11. Joined
    01 Jul '04
    Moves
    03 Jun '07 02:27
    Poorly worded. If the first and second half of the trip is measured in distance, then the answer is trivial. So the fact is this is a simple algebra problem, the infinite answer doesn't wash. You guys are just joking i hope. 😉
    Sorry? What do you mean?
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    03 Jun '07 03:06
    If the answer is trivial, you should have no problem showing it to us. 😉
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Jun '07 11:44
    Define what you mean by superintelligent.
    If you're going to argue until you're blue in the face about the etymology of the word, then I'm really not interested.
  14. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    03 Jun '07 16:16
    One, two, three, four, five...
    Thanks.
  15. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    03 Jun '07 16:19
    Originally posted by Palynka
    If you're going to argue until you're blue in the face about the etymology of the word, then I'm really not interested.
    Yes it is so obvious isn't it? Your cautions are indeed justified, i was trying to nail down a working definition for intelligent and intelligent behavior.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree