tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 May '05 04:412 edits
    Originally posted by The Plumber
    What answers have you tried?

It appears the correct answer could be any of the following:

U = (1 * 17) + (20 * 8) = one hundred seventy seven
    U = (1 * 17) + (20 * 16) = three hundred thirty seven
    U = (1 * 17) + (21 * 8) = one hu ...[text shortened]... 16) = three hundred fifty three

Have you tried all of those?
    C is not 1. The speaker is not a kit, a cat, a sack or a wife. Well she might be a wife. She might be a BIG CAT too. But I don't think the puzzle takes into account these possibilities.

D can be several different possibilities too. I'd bet on 18 myself, since Gandalf has one and is not an Elf.

There are many more possibilities than the ones you listed. Alcra, can you methodically try them one after another and post your results here? Then we can use a process of elimination to get it as The Plumber implies.
  2. Joined
    17 Jan '05
    Moves
    21 May '05 11:231 edit
    I suppose "U" has been tried?

Or, "(CD) + (AB)"
  3. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    21 May '05 12:04
    Originally posted by The Plumber
    What answers have you tried?

It appears the correct answer could be any of the following:

U = (1 * 17) + (20 * 8) = one hundred seventy seven
    U = (1 * 17) + (20 * 16) = three hundred thirty seven
    U = (1 * 17) + (21 * 8) = one hundred eighty five
    U = (1 * 17) + (21 * 16) = three hundred fifty three

Have you tried all of those?
    Looking at various other forums and sites regarding this puzzle, EVERY SINGLE possible number (both numerical and written form) from 1 to 2000 has been tried.

No one has got past this puzzle yet, and according to Owen, the site designer, the answer is not actually numeric. It's some sort of trick question, probably a play on words of sorts.

It's also been rumoured that there are only 2 lines of relevance in the entire riddle that direct you to the answer, which probably means the questions about Rings, Elves, Cats, Scaks, etc.... are all irrelevant.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    22 May '05 11:034 edits
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    Looking at various other forums and sites regarding this puzzle, EVERY SINGLE possible number (both numerical and written form) from 1 to 2000 has been tried.

No one has got past this puzzle yet, and according to Owen, the site design ...[text shortened]... tions about Rings, Elves, Cats, Scaks, etc.... are all irrelevant.
    Maybe it has something to do with an ABba CD...

Or "You are seed and a bee?"

Or follow these simple instructions: "spell your answer" - Y O U R A N S W E R ?

+ (AB) might be "sum A B" or written differently "some, maybe".
  5. Standard memberAlcra
    Lazy Sod
    Everywhere
    Moves
    23 May '05 07:07
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Maybe it has something to do with an ABba CD...

Or "You are seed and a bee?"

Or follow these simple instructions: "spell your answer" - Y O U R A N S W E R ?

+ (AB) might be "sum A B" or written differently "some, maybe".
    I too tried various "phonetics" (correct word?)

Also, letters to numbers (CD) + (AB) = (3*4) + (1*2) = 14. no luck

also, N is the 14th letter of the alphabet, so tried

N, en, U=n, U=N, u = n, UN, United Nations.

No luck 😠
  6. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    25 May '05 20:46
    Originally posted by Alcra
    Anyone here been to http://nr.wireplay.co.uk/modules.php?name=Net_Riddle

It is a riddle "game" with a cash prize. At the moment, seems most of the planet is stuck on #48. Thought we here at RHP can show them how its done!

If you need help getting to #48 (and some of the puzzles are plain stupid IMHO), go to
    http://www.wizardgroup.net/home/
    The whole CRN site is great! Thanks for showing it to me Alcra, I'm now addicted.

I advise checking out the other parts of CRN, great fun and a good challenge!
  7. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    26 May '05 00:45
    "C) "As I was going to St. Ives, I met a man with seven wives. Every wife had seven sacks, every sack had seven cats, every cat had seven kitts. Kitts, cats, sacks, wives, how many were going to St. Ives?" "

This all depends if you were walking faster than the other people and caught them up and passed them by. After all you have still met them, albeit going in the same direction.

8. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    26 May '05 11:39
    Originally posted by adramforall
    "C) "As I was going to St. Ives, I met a man with seven wives. Every wife had seven sacks, every sack had seven cats, every cat had seven kitts. Kitts, cats, sacks, wives, how many were going to St. Ives?" "

This all depends if you were walking faster than the other people and caught them up and passed them by. After all you have still met them, albeit going in the same direction.

It's an old riddle and hte answer is 1 person - the speaker.
  9. Joined
    27 May '05
    Moves
    27 May '05 14:22
    perhaps we should be looking for the name of whites first move instead of the number of moves he can make, he does say I am whites first move, not "it is" whites first move.

2. also it is usually called X's and 0's this maybe important and maybe not. either way tic tac toe is universal as the game of contuinuous ties. it can never be mastered because it is perfectly balanced and simplistic.

3. also as stated before 0 people are going to St Ives, I have nothing here but it was to easy to get 0 so that might not be it. perhaps there is a relavance between Chess, Tic Tac Toe, St Ives, and LOTR

4. Maybe it is not LOTR at all, what other rings are owned by elves, i can think of a couple of other legends as well, some close to the St. Ives area. 🙂 just food for thought.

A question that i dont understand yet, what is BODMAS? -MrT.
  10. Joined
    27 May '05
    Moves
    27 May '05 14:31
    Perhaps War is the game of kings, it is the focus of LOTR and has to do with stratagy as does the game of X's and 0's.

Here is something interesting for all of you. There is a game called Tafl, it is a game played by royalty of the middle ages and is easy to learn, but very hard to master, similar to chess in style and also it has a white side and a black side. perhaps this is what you need instead of chess, becuase in chess rather you were black or white you would have the same number of first moves, but in Tafl you would not it would be important to know which color you are, if this isnt enough for you then consider this. Tafl is called the game of kings 🙂 this should help you guys out, it would seem you have been stuck for a while so i will give you hints. 😉
  11. The sky
    Moves
    27 May '05 20:31
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    D) How many rings not owned by elves?
    The answer would be "It's impossible to tell", no matter whether it refers to Tolkien's world or not. It doesn't say "rings of power" in the question, just "rings". It doesn't say anywhere how many normal rings there were.
  12. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    27 May '05 21:52
    if
    U = (CD) + (AB)
    and
    U = The answer

then
    answer = (AB)

have you tried the text "(AB)" and "AB" ?
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 May '05 04:22
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    if
    U = (CD) + (AB)
    and
    U = The answer

then
    answer = (AB)

have you tried the text "(AB)" and "AB" ?
    I don't understand.

U = (CD) + (AB)
    U = The answer

Then

The answer = (CD) + (AB)

How are you getting from this to

answer = (AB)
  14. Joined
    17 Jan '05
    Moves
    28 May '05 07:48
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I don't understand.

U = (CD) + (AB)
    U = The answer

Then

The answer = (CD) + (AB)

How are you getting from this to

[b]answer = (AB)
    [/b]
    U = The answer

The answer = (CD) + (AB)

The = (CD)
    answer = (AB)
  15. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    28 May '05 14:47
    Originally posted by DomainOfT
    perhaps we should be looking for the name of whites first move instead of the number of moves he can make, he does say I am whites first move, not "it is" whites first move.

2. also it is usually called X's and 0's this maybe important and maybe not. either way tic tac toe is universal as the game of contuinuous ties. it can never be mastered becaus ...[text shortened]... area. 🙂 just food for thought.

A question that i dont understand yet, what is BODMAS? -MrT.
    BODMAS is a maths acronym.

It stands for Brackets Order Divide Multiply Add Subtract.

It's the correct order to work out equations

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree