Net Riddle

Net Riddle

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
28 May 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Pullhard
U = The answer

The answer = (CD) + (AB)

The = (CD)
answer = (AB)
It's possible the authors of the riddle meant it to be solved in that way, but if they did it's a poor riddle.

1+4 = 2+3

but 1=/=2 and 4=/=3

Besides, there is no word for + like "plus" or "and" in 'the answer'.

D

Moves
29 May 05
1 edit

Why dont we try looking for a different kind of U.
We have been thinking that U = (CD) + (AB) but it doesnt say that. if that is what they wanted then why not say it that way. maybe it is like the 3rd problem with time, where the answer was different than the pictures, maybe we are just lead in the right direction but looking at the wrong problem. -MrT. kinda like the game of kings which isnt Chess.

P

Moves
29 May 05

Its possible its something to do with the BODMAS letters e.g.

U = (AB) + (CD)
= B AMBB A BCMDB

Moves
29 May 05

U is also the chemical symbol for uranium, has anyone tried that answer?

F
9 Edits

London

Moves
29 May 05

JUST REALISED SOMETHING.....

if i am white's first move in the game of king's i only have two choices...because it each piece can move to two different squares. the question has nothing to do with the number of pieces that can move but to do with how many squares each peice can move to!

fred

F
9 Edits

London

Moves
29 May 05

Originally posted by Alcra
Everyone thinks D is LOTR? Why?
Can anyone think of anything that is not LOTR here, might be interesting?

Also, a "clue" was given that states the answer is not numeric? This may help or hinder.
elves don't exist...therefore all rings are not owned by elves!

fred

F
9 Edits

London

Moves
29 May 05
1 edit

right so the answers the my little mind has got so far are:

A: 2
B: 1
C: 1
D: infinity/all

therefore formula would look like this:

U= 1*infinity + 2*1

😕

fred

F
9 Edits

London

Moves
30 May 05

the last sentance of this puzzle has been worrying me. why put, "and lastly good luck". this hasn't been done for any of the other puzzles and why would he do it just for this one if it isn't that special. could it have something to do with word arrangement/letter arangement?

fred

F
9 Edits

London

Moves
30 May 05

jees...this thing is addictive...if its any help to anyone i found an old thread about this quiz...

http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=7874&page=1

fred

A
Lazy Sod

Everywhere

Moves
30 May 05

Originally posted by iamatiger
if
U = (CD) + (AB)
and
U = The answer

then
answer = (AB)

have you tried the text "(AB)" and "AB" ?
I tried it after your post, but no luck.

Not sure what to make of the Uranium suggestion though - maybe you can expand the concept?

Uranium = (Carbon * ?) + (? * ?)

F
9 Edits

London

Moves
30 May 05

Not sure what to make of the Uranium suggestion though - maybe you can expand the concept?

has anyone considered roman numerals as answers?

fred

A
Lazy Sod

Everywhere

Moves
31 May 05

Originally posted by Freddie2004
has anyone considered roman numerals as answers?

fred
I did, but I may have messed them up.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
31 May 05

D is generally used as a symbol for dueterium, which is an isotope of hydrogen with a neutron in the nucleus. A is not used as far as I know as a symbol for anything in chemistry. B is the symbol for boron.

F
9 Edits

London

Moves
31 May 05
1 edit

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
D is generally used as a symbol for dueterium, which is an isotope of hydrogen with a neutron in the nucleus. A is not used as far as I know as a symbol for anything in chemistry. B is the symbol for boron.
i just can't imagine the puzzle having anything to do with this. i think it must be something within the puzzle...like word order or something. does anyone know why the st ives riddle is in quotes? why are there spelling and grammatical errors everywhere?

at the end of the st ives ridle it says "Kitts, cats, sacks, wives, how many were going to St. Ives?" if this is what the question is asking surely none of them are going to st ives.

for each piece you move in "the game of kings" there are always two possible options on the very first move.

could the elves/rings question relate to the lesser popularised "The Hobbit" and not LOTR...is the ring distribution any different here?

"Please use BODMAS, also spell your answer, for example 2 would become two. And lastly good luck!" = personally this sentance says to me that we have to include BODMAS, "your answer" and "good luck" in our answer.

the last sentace could also be complete tosh. this is because the riddler said the answer is non-numeric. in this case..why would we need BODMAS, and the info about 2=two. the entire concept of U=answer etc... is nonsense. or on the other hand we need to find another meaning for U, A, B, C and D. what are the other possibilites?

is it just coincidence that all the questions/riddles have multiple answers?

in the clues given out on the website the word doubled was bold (as here)...could this be a clue?

so many questions...so few answers!

fred

h
rockling

The crags

Moves
31 May 05
1 edit

Originally posted by DomainOfT
Why dont we try looking for a different kind of U.
We have been thinking that U = (CD) + (AB) but it doesnt say that. if that is what they wanted then why not say it that way. maybe it is like the 3rd problem with time, where the answer ...[text shortened]... rong problem. -MrT. kinda like the game of kings which isnt Chess.
The game of kings ... that's polo. Not sure about how white fits into it, but a simple google reveals that riders must wear white trousers, and umpires and goal judges must also wear white.

Still, I think "wrong tree" and "barking" comes to mind here - I suspect the answer has nothing to do with the first four riddles, and has everything to do with the equations.

H