1. London
    Moves
    31 May '05 13:05
    Originally posted by howitzer
    The game of kings ... that's polo. Not sure about how white fits into it, but a simple google reveals that riders must wear white trousers, and umpires and goal judges must also wear white.

Still, I think "wrong tree" and "barking" comes to mind here - I suspect the answer has nothing to do with the first four riddles, and has everything to do with the equations.

H
    i suspect the total opposite.....the riddler stated as a clue that no numerics were involved...and this leads me to believe that the equation is fruitless without the riddles, or at least their answers. the thing we need lies somewhere within the actual riddles, i am certain.

fred
  2. Standard memberhowitzer
    rockling
    The crags
    Moves
    31 May '05 13:13
    Again, moving towards the correct answers for each riddle, I think that you want to be thinking about symmetry in Ox and Xs - in effect there is only one diagonal and two non-diagonal lines (a central one, and one at the edge) - all the rest have the same pattern on different board rotations.

Also, is it possible to win at Ox and Xs at all if your opponent knows the game? Surely the best you can expect is a draw if he knows how to play since there is no guaranteed combination of moves to win - hence the game's continued popularity.

Also, I haven't looking on the original site, only the wizardgroup.net site .. but there is a gammatical error here:
    "B) Number of ways of winnings 0s and Xs"
    Winnings?? I don't know if that is a true reproduction of the original site though.
  3. London
    Moves
    31 May '05 13:15
    Again, moving towards the correct answers for each riddle, I think that you want to be thinking about symmetry in Ox and Xs - in effect there is only one diagonal and two non-diagonal lines (a central one, and one at the edge) - all the rest have the same pattern on different board rotations.

Also, is it possible to win at Ox and Xs at all if your oppone ...[text shortened]... and Xs"
    Winnings?? I don't know if that is a true reproduction of the original site though.
    this is a true reproduction. if you read my long post further up this page i mention it. no one knows whether this is there on purpose or not. it's all terribly confusing.

fred
  4. Standard memberhowitzer
    rockling
    The crags
    Moves
    31 May '05 13:22
    Originally posted by Freddie2004
    this is a true reproduction. if you read my long post further up this page i mention it. no one knows whether this is there on purpose or not. it's all terribly confusing.

fred
    Well, from the last bit of news, it looks like English is not their first language, or maybe they're a bit sloppy:

9th Nov : We will shortly be working upon a tips section, but for now I will place the tip for 1.48 in here. 1.48 is one of those not feel good riddles, you will be angry when you see the answer. The riddle itself only comes from two lines of the entire riddle, the answer is not numerical

The fact that they say folk are going to be annoyed suggests that the answer has nothing to do with the most obvious bits of the text - the four riddles.
  5. London
    Moves
    31 May '05 13:26
    Well, from the last bit of news, it looks like English is not their first language, or maybe they're a bit sloppy:

[i]9th Nov : We will shortly be working upon a tips section, but for now I will place the tip for 1.48 in here. 1.48 is one of those not feel good riddles, you will be angry when you see the answer. The riddle itself only comes from two lin ...[text shortened]... sts that the answer has nothing to do with the most obvious bits of the text - the four riddles.
    surely it just suggests that it is easier than everyone thinks it is. that we are looking harder than we should be. personally i think that we should be going back to basics with the whole thing. that, it appears to me is where the answer lies.

fred
  6. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    31 May '05 17:21
    surely it just suggests that it is easier than everyone thinks it is. that we are looking harder than we should be. personally i think that we should be going back to basics with the whole thing. that, it appears to me is where the answer lies.

fred
    I totally agree.

Only problem is that this riddle has stumped people for nearly a year now. I don't think the answer is that logical. 1000's of people have tried to answer it, so surely dumb luck would have prevailed if it was as simple as Owen (riddle designer, aka SittingDuck) makes out.

My bet is still on the U = (CD)+(AB) and U = the answer, being the lines that house the illusive answer =/
  7. London
    Moves
    31 May '05 17:33
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    I totally agree.

Only problem is that this riddle has stumped people for nearly a year now. I don't think the answer is that logical. 1000's of people have tried to answer it, so surely dumb luck would have prevailed if it was as simple as Owen (riddle designer, aka SittingDuck) makes out.

My bet is still on the U = (CD)+(AB) and U = the answer, being the lines that house the illusive answer =/
    i had a dream about it last night....i remember solving it...but i can't remember how! those beautiful words "congratulations you have completed 1.48"!

fred
  8. London
    Moves
    31 May '05 17:36
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    I totally agree.

i feel that, if the answer does lie in this part of the puzzle it has nothing to do with maths and more to do with correlation between U=(CxD)+(AxB) and the other riddles. this is because Owen earlier mentioned that no other mathmatical riddles would be used until part two of the challenge.

fred
  9. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    31 May '05 19:02
    i feel that, if the answer does lie in this part of the puzzle it has nothing to do with maths and more to do with correlation between U=(CxD)+(AxB) and the other riddles. this is because Owen earlier mentioned that no other mathmatical riddles would be used until part two of the challenge.

fred
    ...and because over the last year every single number between 0 and 9999 has been tried as an answer 😉
  10. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 08:39
    This thread still going?

I've been there a long time ago, when someone else started a thread about it.

My suspicion is that the maker of the riddles simply quit. The entire site hasn't been updated. My guess is that there is NO answer.
  11. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 08:50
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    This thread still going?

I've been there a long time ago, when someone else started a thread about it.

My suspicion is that the maker of the riddles simply quit. The entire site hasn't been updated. My guess is that there is NO answer.
    The CRN site was last updated on 25th April 2005.
    I hope there IS an answer cos I've wasted so much frickin' time trying to guess it =/
  12. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 07:12
    What's the word we should write in Q1?
  13. Joined
    21 May '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 07:51
    read the post, it tells you the site with the answers. btw, you type in what it says: a word
  14. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 15:35
    whats the answer to the third one. The one bout time parts?!?!?
  15. London
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 15:52
    Originally posted by richy15
    whats the answer to the third one. The one bout time parts?!?!?
    hourglass and sundial.

fred

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree