24 hour time

24 hour time

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Australia

Moves
20 Feb 12

Originally posted by karoly aczel
And the 80's and 90's😞
You mean they"re STILL saying it?????

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
20 Feb 12

Originally posted by Kewpie
You mean they"re STILL saying it?????
Well up until 10 or so years ago some were still clinging to the same old unthought out ideas, yes.
Reality is starting to finally sink in about things that others have learnt ages ago .

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
20 Feb 12
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds
The truth can not be told because this is the science forum.
You've already had a post removed but still you persist.

Unbelievable.

Moves
20 Feb 12

It was interesting to read the British parliamentary discussions in the 1920s, where the point was raised that females weren't mathematically competent and wouldn't be able to manage numbers above 12.
Particularly interesting because at the time there were still 20 shillings to the quid. Perhaps they thought all those female shop assistants were perpetually confused by the difference between a full pound and nineteen bob?

Richard

Green Boots Cave

Moves
24 Feb 12

I have read elsewhere that the 24 (hour) division went back to an Egyptian calender,(although I cant find a link yet), where it was linked with other esoteric ideas and such.

I guess at the end of the day people went with what was most convenient and practical.
The decimal hour (that France proposed) seems too long, and impractical.

It has bee ...[text shortened]... est,(or so one report I read stipulated).
I would go along with this from personal experience.
I have read elsewhere that the 24 (hour) division went back to an Egyptian calender,(although I cant find a link yet),

I found this http://africanhistory.about.com/od/egyptology/a/EgyptFatherOfTime_2.htm

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
25 Feb 12

The truth can not be told because this is the science forum.
Well, I'm glad in this instance you refrained from telling us this truth.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
25 Feb 12

Originally posted by biffo konker
I have read elsewhere that the 24 (hour) division went back to an Egyptian calender,(although I cant find a link yet),

I found this http://africanhistory.about.com/od/egyptology/a/EgyptFatherOfTime_2.htm
That is a great link.

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
01 Mar 12

Originally posted by sonhouse
That is a great link.
I agree and who could ask for a more specific answer to the question posed?

"...around 127 CE Hipparchus of Niceae, working in the great city of Alexandria, proposed dividing the day into 24 equinoctial hours..."

I did know that it is associated with the capacity to divide 360 into so many convenient fractions with whole numbers for measuring distances around a circle. The Greeks and mathematicians generally have an aesthetic response to the properties of numbers which, in our non numerate, decimal age, seems to be less appreciated. The fact that there are slightly more than 360 days in a year is an error on the part of the Creator and not a fault of mathematics. Sadly, the Greeks also seem to have got out of touch with numbers since joining the Euro.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
02 Mar 12

[b]Does anyone know the origin of the 24 hour day?

I was told by a friend that captain James Cook ,(who is said to have discovered Australia), was the first to invent this idea. Up until then we only had two 12 hour periods to make a "day".
The confusion might come from the fact that a reliable time piece was a holy grail of navigation and Cptn cook types explorers were always experimenting with them.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Mar 12

Originally posted by finnegan
I agree and who could ask for a more specific answer to the question posed?

"...around 127 CE Hipparchus of Niceae, working in the great city of Alexandria, proposed dividing the day into 24 equinoctial hours..."

I did know that it is associated with the capacity to divide 360 into so many convenient fractions with whole numbers for measuring distan ...[text shortened]... cs. Sadly, the Greeks also seem to have got out of touch with numbers since joining the Euro.
There is a certain time in each year in which there is an equal time for
daylight and for the dark of night. There you have the division of 12 hours
and 12 hours that total the 24 hours of evening and morning.

Australia

Moves
03 Mar 12
1 edit

The exact quotes from that site, which is a clear exposition of the whole thing:

around 127 CE Hipparchus of Niceae, working in the great city of Alexandria, proposed dividing the day into 24 equinoctial hours. These equinoctial hours, so called because they are based on the equal length of day and night at the equinox, split the day into equal periods.

The division of time was further refined by another Alexandrian based philosopher, Claudius Ptolemeus, who divided the equinoctial hour into 60 minutes, inspired by the scale of measurement used in ancient Babylon.

The site quotes these sources:
Mapping Time: The Calendar and its History by E. G. Richards, Pub. by Oxford University Press, 1998, ISBN 0-19-286205-7, 438 pages.

General History of Africa II: Ancient Civilizations of Africa, Pub. by James Curry Ltd., University of California Press, and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), 1990, ISBN 0-520-06697-9, 418 pages.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Mar 12
1 edit

The exact quotes from that site, which is a clear exposition of the whole thing:

around 127 CE Hipparchus of Niceae, working in the great city of Alexandria, proposed dividing the day into 24 equinoctial hours. These equinoctial hours, so called because they are based on the equal length of day and night at the equinox, split the day into equal periods.
...[text shortened]... Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), 1990, ISBN 0-520-06697-9, 418 pages.
There is another source that is before that that had already divided the day
into equal periods of 12 hours of light and 12 hours of night that I am not
allowed to speak of on this forum.

Australia

Moves
03 Mar 12

There is another source that is before that that had already divided the day
into equal periods of 12 hours of light and 12 hours of night that I am not
allowed to speak of on this forum.
If this is your idea of clear thinking, perhaps you'd better go back to school. The Spirituality Forum is where your kind of reasoning belongs, not in the Science Forum.

Moves
04 Mar 12

There is another source that is before that that had already divided the day into equal periods of 12 hours of light and 12 hours of night that I am not allowed to speak of on this forum.
Wait, what - you're not allowed to speak of the Babylonian Empire?

Richard