26% of  Americans unaware that the Earth goes around the Sun!

26% of Americans unaware that the Earth goes around the Sun!

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
17 Feb 14
2 edits

Originally posted by humy
Simple; its the same reason why nobody else has done so here including yourself; I don't have their contact details. If I did, I would.
You could start here:
http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/contact.cfm

Or here:
http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/srvyattitude/
See the phone number at the bottom

There is also lots of information about the methodology on the website.

Actually I am not certain thats the right place. Maybe its here:
http://www3.norc.org/gss+website/

More research is required.

[edit]
http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/srvyattitude/spaquest.pdf
This is a phone survey.
Page 21
Question reads:
Does the Earth go around the Sun, or does the Sun go around the Earth?
1> Earth goes around Sun
2> Sun goes around Earth

K

Germany

Moves
17 Feb 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
So given a survey which asked 'does the earth revolve around the sun?' with a yes/no answer what would your answer have been?

I would like to know what percentage of people don't really read or think about such questions in surveys ie just how much error margin there is.

My maths teacher claimed that in a class of 40, there was always someone who go ...[text shortened]...

So in the survey, if they asked whats 2+2, what is the percentage of people who get it wrong?
In the way the question is formulated (in your later post), both answers are correct. But I would probably have picked "Earth goes around the Sun" considering what they probably intended to ask.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Feb 14

I am not among the ignorant for I watch the O'Reilly Factor on FOX NEWS.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
18 Feb 14

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
It is actually a bit inaccurate to say the Earth revolves around the Sun. It would be more precise to say they revolve around each other, since there is no preferential frame of reference.
I suppose you can accurately say there is no "preferential frame of reference" when looking only at the sun and earth, and taking nothing else into consideration. But when you consider the (movement of) other planets then it's evident which single object those planets are revolving around... they are revolving around the sun. And when you look at the suns relationship to other stars in our galaxy then it's evident our star is revolving around the central mass of a spiral galaxy.

All mass exerts a pull on all other mass so the planets of our solar system must be pulling and tugging on our sun. But the sun clearly has more of an influence on the planets than the planets do on the sun as evidenced by how the planets have remained in the same orbital positions, and as evidenced by how our sun has stayed in the same relative position to its nearest neighboring stars... the gravitational influence of the planets have not caused our sun to drift from its present position (between two galactic spirals).

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
18 Feb 14
1 edit

If we can say (because of no preferential frame of reference) the sun is revolving around the earth, can we say the sun is also revolving around all of the other planets as well?

K

Germany

Moves
18 Feb 14

Originally posted by lemon lime
If we can say (because of no preferential frame of reference) the sun is revolving around the earth, can we say the sun is also revolving around all of the other planets as well?
Of course. It just so happens to be that if you take the Sun as the center of your frame of reference, the other planets have "nice" orbits too, whereas they have "strange" orbits if you take the Earth as the center of your frame of reference.

Perhaps the "natural" frame of reference in the Solar system is the center of gravity of the Solar system. This center of gravity is close to, but not identical to the center of gravity of the Sun itself. The Sun will have some kind of motion about the center of gravity of the Solar system.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
18 Feb 14

Originally posted by Eladar
How many of these people were US citizens? How many were educated in the United States? What was the socio-economic make up of the group?
The National Science Foundation probably didn't think to make it a fair poll.
Give them your email - they'll be in touch soon Einstein.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
18 Feb 14

Of course. It just so happens to be that if you take the Sun as the center of your frame of reference, the other planets have "nice" orbits too, whereas they have "strange" orbits if you take the Earth as the center of your frame of reference.

Perhaps the "natural" frame of reference in the Solar system is the center of gravity of the Solar system. T ...[text shortened]... n itself. The Sun will have some kind of motion about the center of gravity of the Solar system.
Off the top of my head isn't it only when Saturn & Jupiter are aligned that the solar system centre of gravity strays outside of the sun? (only just)

K

Germany

Moves
18 Feb 14

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Off the top of my head isn't it only when Saturn & Jupiter are aligned that the solar system centre of gravity strays outside of the sun? (only just)
That may be (I haven't investigated the dynamics of the Solar system in detail). Still, the center of gravity of the Sun and of the Solar system will practically never be identical.

Cape Town

Moves
18 Feb 14

How much higher would the percentage of correct answers have been if respondents were being paid for each correct answer?

K

Germany

Moves
18 Feb 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
How much higher would the percentage of correct answers have been if respondents were being paid for each correct answer?
Hard to say. Some insight can perhaps be gathered from this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candle_problem

Z

Moves
18 Feb 14

It is actually a bit inaccurate to say the Earth revolves around the Sun. It would be more precise to say they revolve around each other, since there is no preferential frame of reference.
incorrect. the moon revolves around the earth which revolves around the sun. period. the sun revolves around the center of the galaxy.

what you are saying only happens with objects of roughly the same mass.

K

Germany

Moves
18 Feb 14

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
incorrect. the moon revolves around the earth which revolves around the sun. period. the sun revolves around the center of the galaxy.

what you are saying only happens with objects of roughly the same mass.
If you consider two point masses with arbitrary, finite masses and initial velocities such that one obtains stable orbits, then you will find that in the frame of reference of the one mass, the other revolves around it, while in the frame of reference of the other mass, the first one revolves around it. This is true irrespective of the mass ratio.

What you are probably thinking about is the situation where you have two objects of similar mass orbiting the center of gravity of both objects, e.g. a binary star.

Cape Town

Moves
18 Feb 14

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
What you are saying only happens with objects of roughly the same mass.
Frames of reference aside, the planets and sun orbit their common centre of gravity, which has already been pointed out, is not always within the sun - and is almost never at the centre of the sun.
This results in the Sun appearing to 'wobble' and this effect is one of the techniques we use to detect planets around other stars.

The moon on the other hand orbits the earth/moons centre of gravity and together they orbit the solar systems centre of gravity in a complicated spiral dance.

E

Moves
18 Feb 14

Originally posted by wolfgang59
The National Science Foundation probably didn't think to make it a fair poll.
Give them your email - they'll be in touch soon Einstein.
The National Science Foundation has not political objectives? How is it funded? How does it get money? Why would it need more funding?