1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    11 Sep '17 22:024 edits
    Originally posted by @joe-shmo
    lets go over a few things.

In order for this to work all the heat from the load has to leave the system. Agree/ Disagree?

All the heat from the load is IR. Agree/Disagree?

IR is IR is IR. Agree/Disagree?

According to NASA only 6% of IR is [b]directly
    radiated to space without being absorbed by the atmosphere. Agree/Disagree?

If its too ...[text shortened]... object so special that 100% is radiated directly to space, as opposed to the standard 6%?[/b]

In order for this to work all the heat from the load has to leave the system.

NO NO that is completely false. Why "all" the heat?
    Just SOME heat leaving will have a cooling effect.
    In fact, the laws of thermodynamics imply it is impossible for ALL the heat to leave ANY material, and that includes from ANY part of a cooling system because absolute zero is impossible to reach. And yet that doesn't stop a cooling system from working like you imply here.
    IR is IR is IR. .... IR is IR is IR.

are you trying to confuse the different forms of heat?

According to NASA only 6% of IR is directly radiated to space without being absorbed by the atmosphere

yes. Relevance?
    If its too cool to give off its heat by conduction/convection with its surroundings ( which may be plausible) it is giving off nearly 100% of its heat (IR) as radiation.

why "nearly 100% " as radiation necessary for there to be a cooling effect? Why not just, say, 5% ?
    Where is the other 94% of the IR being radiated to?

who said the rest is radiated? Who denies conduction?

I still don't see your point.
    Do you deny that this cooling system can work? If so, explain why it wouldn't work since it works in nature. If not, then what's your point of contention?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Sep '17 00:585 edits
    Originally posted by @humy

In order for this to work [b]all
    the heat from the load has to leave the system.

In fact, the laws of thermodynamics imply it is impossible for ALL the heat to leave ANY material, and that includes from ANY part of a cooling syst ...[text shortened]... ain why it wouldn't work since it works in nature. If not, then what's your point of contention?[/b]
    In order for this to work all the heat from the load has to leave the system.

In fact, the laws of thermodynamics imply it is impossible for ALL the heat to leave ANY material, and that includes from ANY part of a cooling system because absolute zero is impossible to reach. And yet that doesn't stop a cooling system from working like you imply here.

Why does it have to give off its heat...to be a good heat exchanger! If a body is picking up heat and not releasing it what is happening to the body? Don't think to hard on this one humy, its a real brain teaser.

Next: If the body is heating up ( assuming you got the last question correct...I have my doubts) what is happening to the rate of heat transfer between the load and the body? Hint: see next line.

If the heat transfer rate between the load and the body goes to zero the system is not transferring heat! i.e. its not working!

That is why all the heat from the load must be dissipated.

why "nearly 100% " as radiation necessary for there to be a cooling effect? Why not just, say, 5% ?

See explanation above.

who said the rest is radiated? Who denies conduction?

After thinking about it, I do! In order for this thing to work the region under the reflective surface must be cooler than its surroundings. Heat does not spontaneously flow from cool to hot. Thus it cannot be conducting/convecting to the warmer atmosphere immediately in contact. That would violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics. It must be radiating to the next coolest thing (clouds, upper atmosphere, etc...).

Do you deny that this cooling system can work?

No, I already said this multiple times. I'm questioning how it works but your explanations of it are weak and full of thermodynamic holes that must be filled by reason before I jump onboard. If you don't have the answers, just say "I don't have the answers". Quit trying to feed me bologna and call it a steak!
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    12 Sep '17 06:54

Why does it have to give off its heat...to be a good heat exchanger!

nobody said/implied it doesn't give off heat.
    If the heat transfer rate between the load and the body goes to zero the system is not transferring heat! i.e. its not working!

Heat does not spontaneously flow from cool to hot.

And nobody said/implied the contrary.
    It works by transferring heat from the surface to the cooler outer space.
    I'm questioning how it works but your explanations of it are weak and full of thermodynamic holes

I disagree; I for one see no holes in the explanation.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 01:05

Why does it have to give off its heat...to be a good heat exchanger!

Heat does not spo ...[text shortened]... d full of thermodynamic holes

I disagree; I for one see no holes in the explanation.
    Well...its pretty easy not to see when your blind.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 16:36
    Well...its pretty easy not to see when your blind.
    Are you saying such a system will not work?
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 21:334 edits
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Are you saying such a system will not work?
    No, I'm not saying such a system will not work. What I'm saying is the level of resolution on "how" it works provided by humy is unacceptable. I'm saying there is no way 100% of the heat is radiated directly to space from this device. I'm saying a large portion ( most likely larger portion) is radiated to the atmosphere. It is the next coolest thing, full of greenhouse gases and water vapor. A significant portion of the IR heat dissipated from the load is going to be absorbed and radiated by the atmosphere. You either believe that, or you believe the greenhouse effect is not real. Baring a deeper explanation of the mechanism they cannot be simultaneously true. Take your pick.

Look at this graphic. Atmospheric opacity by wavelength. Infrared 0.7µm - 1mm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation#/media/File:Atmospheric_electromagnetic_opacity.svg

In that band do you see any 0% opacity? The best I see is a narrow band between maybe 8µm - 30µm. If this material emits IR within only this band ( witch it undoubtedly doesn't - but may emit across the band to utilize it), the best case is "maybe" 70% radiated to space, but is likely worse than that.

You see, I say the dissipated heat it warms the atmosphere, and humy says it goes directly to space without warming the atmosphere.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 23:00
    No, I'm not saying such a system will not work. What I'm saying is the level of resolution on "how" it works provided by humy is unacceptable. I'm saying there is no way 100% of the heat is radiated directly to space from this device. I'm saying a large portion ( most likely larger portion) is radiated to the atmosphere. It is the next coolest thing, f ...[text shortened]... it warms the atmosphere, and humy says it goes directly to space without warming the atmosphere.
    I can't believe all the heat escapes to space. maybe on the moon with no atmosphere or even on Mars with 1/100th Earth atmosphere but Earth, 14.7 PSI? But even if the number is only 50% radiated to space, it should still cool down the room underneath.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Sep '17 23:481 edit
    I can't believe all the heat escapes to space. maybe on the moon with no atmosphere or even on Mars with 1/100th Earth atmosphere but Earth, 14.7 PSI? But even if the number is only 50% radiated to space, it should still cool down the room underneath.
    "I can't believe all the heat escapes to space" Correct - because it doesn't - directly.

Yes, there will be some measure of cooling regardless of the percentage between atmosphere and space. If the heat is being dissipated the heat is being dissipated.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Sep '17 01:232 edits
    If your wondering why I engaged in this war of attrition over these subtle points. I think the thread posed coincidentally a few days ago by vivify with John Oliver explains it well enough.

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/science/john-oliver-on-scientific-studies.174138/page-1
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Sep '17 18:41
    If your wondering why I engaged in this war of attrition over these subtle points. I think the thread posed coincidentally a few days ago by vivify with John Oliver explains it well enough.

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/science/john-oliver-on-scientific-studies.174138/page-1
    One point I just thought of: suppose a system is worked out to have roof panels radiate heat, cooling the interior of the building. The thing I see is those panels competing for real estate with solar panels. I wonder if a system could be built that would still allow generation of energy and still radiate heat into space? Looks like that would be a win win, eh.
  11. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    18 Sep '17 19:28
    I wonder if a system could be built that would still allow generation of energy and still radiate heat into space?
    I wondered the same thing. In theory, the is no reason to think that would be impossible because it wouldn't violate any physical law. However, in practice, it would have to be extremely efficient at converting the light energy into electric else any significant heat generated from light being converted to heat energy would render it completely useless as a cooling system; at least during the daytime.
    I am not sure how long it would be until we can make solar panels something like ~99% energy efficient at converting the light energy they absorb (so ignore the light they reflect) into electricity!
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Sep '17 20:49
    I wondered the same thing. In theory, the is no reason to think that would be impossible because it wouldn't violate any physical law. However, in practice, it would have to be extremely efficient at converting the light energy into electric else any significant heat generated from light being converted to heat energy would render it completely useless ...[text shortened]... at converting the light energy they absorb (so ignore the light they reflect) into electricity!
    If you could get that kind of efficiency, that would cool in itself, when the energy is stored in some kind of battery, whatever the means, it would seem underneath all that would have to cool down automatically since there would be no energy or very little energy left to warm the building. A pipe dream anyway, at least in THIS millenium🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree