1. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    08 Apr '20 01:22
    Hope someone here can clarify...I've read that C-19 is not "alive" and never has been. It is a molecule with some kind of coating around it. When this coating is removed by contact with human skin, it then penetrates the skin and causes havoc. If it is not a "live" virus, then it didn't come from nature. Then people might say it is man-made..
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '20 01:291 edit
    @ogb said
    Hope someone here can clarify...I've read that C-19 is not "alive" and never has been. It is a molecule with some kind of coating around it. When this coating is removed by contact with human skin, it then penetrates the skin and causes havoc. If it is not a "live" virus, then it didn't come from nature. Then people might say it is man-made..
    No virus is alive. Bacteria are alive, but viruses are not.
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Apr '20 01:38
    @ogb said
    As a matter of definition the biologists define life as being something that is inside a cell membrane. I don't think the definition is universally accepted within biology. So, because they do not have cell membranes and are dormant outside a cell, viruses are classified as non-living. They are considered to be rather complicated naturally occurring poisons rather than living things. The emphasis here is on naturally occurring. That a covid-19 is non-living does not make it different from other viruses and does not mean that it is artificial.

The moon is non-living - I assume that you do not think that because it is not alive it must have been created by a human?
  4. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    08 Apr '20 02:59
    ok thanks for the information..
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 00:36
    @DeepThought
    On its own, isn't it more akin to an RNA or DNA based computer? Like just a giant program?
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 01:42
    @ogb said
    If it is not a "live" virus, then it didn't come from nature

False assumption. No virus is technically alive but they are natural. They are a sort of parasitic molecule that exploits living things to reproduce.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 01:46
    @deepthought said
    As a matter of definition the biologists define life as being something that is inside a cell membrane. I don't think the definition is universally accepted within biology. So, because they do not have cell membranes and are dormant outside a cell, viruses are classified as non-living. They are considered to be rather complicated naturally occurring poisons rather than ...[text shortened]... - I assume that you do not think that because it is not alive it must have been created by a human?
    Life is not defined by cell membranes and some viruses do have the equivalent of cell membranes called 'viral envelopes'. These envelopes dissolve into cell membranes allowing the virus into the cell without breaking the membrane.

Viruses are not alive because they do not absorb energy from the environment (eating or photosynthesis) and cannot reproduce on their own.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 01:47
    @sonhouse said
    @DeepThought
    On its own, isn't it more akin to an RNA or DNA based computer? Like just a giant program?
    More like a computer virus.

lol
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 01:50
    @sonhouse said
    @DeepThought
    I'm not a huge fan of the analogy between computers and DNA/RNA. But yes, in the sense that the molecule contains the rules for its own reproduction you can look at it like that. From a human point of view it's a poison, and the word "virus" comes from middle English meaning venom, from Latin with the literal meaning "slimy liquid, poison". It's not obvious that viruses are part of the tree of life and it's certain that they don't compute anything. So the poison analogy is better than the computational one.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 02:081 edit
    I would liken a virus to predictors, killing the weak. They are part of the natural cycle feeding on us. No different than cancer, a fungus or bacteria looking to feed on us.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 03:27
    Preditors, not predictors. I hate autocorrect.
  12. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 03:43
    @athousandyoung said

Viruses are not alive because they do not absorb energy from the environment (eating or photosynthesis) and cannot reproduce on their own.
    Of course they are reproducing...that's why they are contagious... If C-19 isn't from nature, where did the very first one come from.? Don't forget Panspermia..
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 05:31
    @ogb

Try reading this

https://www.livescience.com/58018-are-viruses-alive.html
  14. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 05:44
    @eladar said
    @ogb

Try reading this

https://www.livescience.com/58018-are-viruses-alive.html
    thanks for the link..according to the lady speaking, viruses are not alive.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 05:57
    @ogb

I just read the article. The reason given why they are not aluve is that they cannot reproduce without attaching to a host.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree