1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 06:381 edit
    It seems the fundies have invaded the science forum and are determined to drive the usual participants away. Perhaps we should rename it Spirituality Two.
  2. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 08:16
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    It seems the fundies have invaded the science forum and are determined to drive the usual participants away. Perhaps we should rename it Spirituality Two.
    Perhaps you were wondering about my motives. Or maybe you simply had no idea how to answer it? I was just hoping you could help answer the questions.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 08:27
    Originally posted by tim88
    do you see any apes from the zoo evolving it to humans..? Duh
    Do you have a reason why you think they should? Or are you just trolling?
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 08:37
    Perhaps you were wondering about my motives. Or maybe you simply had no idea how to answer it? I was just hoping you could help answer the questions.
    The answer is No. He just has a hard time telling the truth in the science forum. 😏
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 13:48
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Our classification system has varied over time. However, modern classification is tending towards a hierarchical one, and birds should be considered reptiles, and man should be classified as a monkey.

According to Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reptile
    Additionally, birds are included in Reptilia under phylogenetic definitions.
    And as the common ancestor of all birds was not only a reptile but a dinosaur all birds must
    also be considered to be dinosaurs.

So they didn't ALL go extinct.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 13:54
    If you have genuine questions about evolution and how it works please ask them.

If you genuinely want to understand and discuss the topic then I and I suspect many
    others here would happily answer your questions.

However there are quite a few people (like RJHinds) who come here simply to preach
    unreason, and to troll, who have no desire to actually debate anything.
    And evolution tends to be the topic that most draws them out.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 13:54
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The answer is No. He just has a hard time telling the truth in the science forum. 😏
    Get out you have no place here.
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 14:14
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Our classification system has varied over time. However, modern classification is tending towards a hierarchical one, and birds should be considered reptiles, and man should be classified as a monkey.

According to Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reptile
    Additionally, birds are included in Reptilia under phylogenetic definitions.
    Also...

YouTube&feature=related
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 17:09
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    And as the common ancestor of all birds was not only a reptile but a dinosaur all birds must

This is ridiculous. 😏
  10. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 18:19
    do you see any apes from the zoo evolving it to humans..? Duh
    Duh! I never used to understand the need for religion but now I realise it gives the simple minded something to do in their spare time when they are not licking windows.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 18:27
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Duh! I never used to understand the need for religion but now I realise it gives the simple minded something to do in their spare time when they are not licking windows.
    Even the simple minded understand that apes don't evolve into humans.
    It is only those that have complicated their minds with the ridiculous ideas
    of science fiction that can't understand this simple fact. 😏
  12. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 18:322 edits

Surely a distinction must be drawn between the dinosaurs and their descendants, if for no other reason for classification purposes alone. Or am I wrong. I know we descended from the Australopithicines (sp?), but are we Australopithicines as well? From my understanding, our classification system doesn't work this way. I was under the impression that at some point in genetic time, or perhaps some range in genetic time, an arbitrary distinction was drawn that separated us into two (or more!) species.

So while I agree that the dinosaurs didn't go extinct, I'm not sure whether birds must be considered dinosaurs. But I am not well-versed in this subject, and should read up before posting probably.
  13. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 19:33
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Even the simple minded understand that apes don't evolve into humans.
    It is only those that have complicated their minds with the ridiculous ideas
    of science fiction that can't understand this simple fact. 😏
    No; only the simple minded do not understand that we are of the ape family we did not evolve from monkeys but we share a common ancestor with them. As usual the bible thumping section of christianity resorts to being obtuse when faced with facts they cannot refute or fit into the fairy tale land of the bible.
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 19:46
    As a response to the last two posts I would like to repost and recommend this video.

YouTube&feature=related

Which talks about the latest classification systems and how they work and specifically deals with us.

The point being that while we obviously didn't evolve from modern monkeys but from a common ancestor
    to us and modern monkeys. This common ancestor would also be classified as a monkey and thus we are
    both descended from monkeys but we still in fact are monkeys.

While it does not deal with birds still being dinosaurs it does deal with snakes still being a type of lizard.
  15. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 21:23
    As a response to the last two posts I would like to repost and recommend this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A-dMqEbSk8&feature=related

Which talks about the latest classification systems and how they work and specifically deals with us.

The point being that while we obviously didn't evolve from modern monkeys but from a common ancestor ...[text shortened]... ot deal with birds still being dinosaurs it does deal with snakes still being a type of lizard.
    Thats cool I have no problem with being a monkey. Just not sure how much we can simplify the classification system before it becomes useless for the practical exercise of describing something in shorthand. Is it not still true to say that all monkeys share a common ancestor that was not a monkey.
    P.s I could'nt hear the video to well because a monkey that lives with me was watching some monkeys on the telly who had eaten far to much and were being classified as 'Super Size' monkeys.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree