1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 18:19
    Can underground bunkers handle earthquakes?
  2. Joined
    24 Sep '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 19:02
    Some can. I've been inside some which held certain things at Camp Pendleton which could not possibly attain a structure fracture in the worst of quakes.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jul '08 03:48
    Originally posted by nihilismor
    Some can. I've been inside some which held certain things at Camp Pendleton which could not possibly attain a structure fracture in the worst of quakes.
    I don't know, that sucker that hit Indonesia a few years back causing the tsunami was a Richter Scale 9+. If that hit in Carlsbad or Pendleton, Vista, Oceanside, Escondido, you name it, you could kiss your assumption goodbye! A quake of that magnitude could take that little bunker and squirt it out of the ground like a kid squeezing out a wet watermelon seed from his thumb and finger.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Jul '08 06:07
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I don't know, that sucker that hit Indonesia a few years back causing the tsunami was a Richter Scale 9+. If that hit in Carlsbad or Pendleton, Vista, Oceanside, Escondido, you name it, you could kiss your assumption goodbye! A quake of that magnitude could take that little bunker and squirt it out of the ground like a kid squeezing out a wet watermelon seed from his thumb and finger.
    But would the bunker stay intact?
  5. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    12 Jul '08 08:23
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    But would the bunker stay intact?
    I think there could be a more important question:

Suppose the bunker DOES stay intact. Then if the earthquake makes buildings and heavy rubble falls on top of the bunker, you could be trapped inside because all that heavy rubble would block the bunker’s exit. Then, assuming nobody comes to rescue you soon because the survivors above have either got too many problems of their own or they don’t even know that you are down there or even that there is a bunker down there, you would slowly die of lack of oxygen or, just possibly, lack of food or water.

So could the bunker staying intact only cause you to die a slower and more horrible death?
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Jul '08 20:162 edits
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    I think there could be a more important question:

Suppose the bunker DOES stay intact. Then if the earthquake makes buildings and heavy rubble falls on top of the bunker, you could be trapped inside because all that heavy rubble would block the bunker’s exit. Then, assuming nobody comes to rescue you soon because the survivors above have either go ...[text shortened]... r.

So could the bunker staying intact only cause you to die a slower and more horrible death?
    I'd rather fight to tear myself out from rubble with food, ventilation, weapons, toilet facilities of some sort etc than be crushed under the rubble.

Anyway, it's not for earthquakes. It's for thugs and gangsters. I want to be able to root myself in my city like a wart. I want a fortress against the gangsters and stuff so I can take them on and then go hide in my modern day castle. I want to be a constant presence in the neighborhood, putting pressure on the criminals.

It's just a fantasy, but that's the idea. And since my city's in southern CA, the earthquake issue came to mind.
  7. Joined
    24 Sep '06
    Moves
    14 Jul '08 03:37
    I'd rather fight to tear myself out from rubble with food, ventilation, weapons, toilet facilities of some sort etc than be crushed under the rubble.

Anyway, it's not for earthquakes. It's for thugs and gangsters. I want to be able to root myself in my city like a wart. I want a fortress against the gangsters and stuff so I can take them on and ...[text shortened]... t that's the idea. And since my city's in southern CA, the earthquake issue came to mind.
    I'm in so-cal also in such a neighborhood as to have me thinking the same thing. I have drawn up blue prints for laser cannons on top of turrets which project an antimatter force shield with megaprotonic landmines behind a moat filled with extremely high concentrated H2SO4. I have the acid but after digging for three days I am not getting very far with the moat it will go in. As for the other stuff, I am going to wait till after the physics class i'm taking in the fall to invent that.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jul '08 03:49

Anyway, it's not for earthquakes. It's for thugs and gangsters. I want to be able to root myself in my city like a wart. I want a fortress against the gangsters and stuff so I can take them on and ...[text shortened]... t that's the idea. And since my city's in southern CA, the earthquake issue came to mind.
    Just move to Hawaii then, not much in the way of gangs there and the weather is always nice. BTW, what town do you live in there? I lived in Escondido and went to Palomar College in San Marcos.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Jul '08 00:57
    Originally posted by nihilismor
    I'm in so-cal also in such a neighborhood as to have me thinking the same thing. I have drawn up blue prints for laser cannons on top of turrets which project an antimatter force shield with megaprotonic landmines behind a moat filled with extremely high concentrated H2SO4. I have the acid but after digging for three days I am not getting very far with ...[text shortened]... stuff, I am going to wait till after the physics class i'm taking in the fall to invent that.
    Where do you house the battalions of ninjas?
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Jul '08 00:58
    Just move to Hawaii then, not much in the way of gangs there and the weather is always nice. BTW, what town do you live in there? I lived in Escondido and went to Palomar College in San Marcos.
    Los Angeles itself.

I don't WANT to move away. I don't want to run away. I want to make a stand and keep the trash out of my community. That's the whole point.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jul '08 01:39
    Los Angeles itself.

I don't WANT to move away. I don't want to run away. I want to make a stand and keep the trash out of my community. That's the whole point.
    What part of LA? I was born in El Monte if you heard of that town. Went to HS in Anchorage Alaska and Glendora HS and Covina HS. Lived also in Escondido and Venice Beach.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Jul '08 01:441 edit
    What part of LA? I was born in El Monte if you heard of that town. Went to HS in Anchorage Alaska and Glendora HS and Covina HS. Lived also in Escondido and Venice Beach.
    Northeast Los Angeles; Mount Washington and Highland Park. I work in Inglewood.

I spent a summer as a kid in Alaska, based out of Anchorage. Good times, except that it's like living in a fridge with the light on all the time.
  13. Joined
    24 Sep '06
    Moves
    15 Jul '08 03:08
    Where do you house the battalions of ninjas?
    They did not need housing because they were all cyborgs. All the 1000 strong battalion required in compensation of its services was 200 surge protectors. Unfortunately, I only had 10 electrical outlets in this soon to be fortress so the NCWU (ninja cyborg working union) held a strike and I had to give in by not only raising the salaries of the 50 attainable ninja cyborgs by 50% but had to pay a substantial amount of unemployment to the remaining 950.

By the way, sorry about the job in Inglewood. And to think that I had it bad up here in Ventura!
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 09:06
    Can underground bunkers handle earthquakes?
    Would it matter it isn't like you can get to one if a big one hits.
    Kelly
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 21:00
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Would it matter it isn't like you can get to one if a big one hits.
    Kelly
    Because it's a big investement and I wouldn't want to build it where I know it's going to be destroyed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree