12 Mar '08 14:56
    i need to know!!!!! lol
  2. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 17:06
    Originally posted by richfeet
    i need to know!!!!! lol
    Based upon observation, I don't think so. has anyone connected up those 'brain wave' things to a fish brain?
  3. Standard membernmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 17:30
    They sleep...right after Mrs. Paul gets hold of their butt! Her and that Gorton Fisherman guy...oh and Long John Silver.

Dave
    ( who would have thrown McDonald's in there too...but I don't think the Fish o Filet is real fish )
  4. Earth
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 20:12
    i need to know!!!!! lol
    Not as we would define it. They go into a semi-conscious state, but remain responsive to danger / sudden disturbance, so it is not true sleep. They dont need it as their brains are not complex enough to demand it.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 20:24
    I found this on the web.
    http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/bio99/bio99047.htm
  6. At the Revolution
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 19:20
    Originally posted by Policestate
    Not as we would define it. They go into a semi-conscious state, but remain responsive to danger / sudden disturbance, so it is not true sleep. They dont need it as their brains are not complex enough to demand it.
    Correct. The reason people think they never sleep is because they have no eyelids, so they can't close their eyes.

The memory span of a fish, contrary to popular belief, is not less than 3 seconds, but several days. Just wanted to throw that in.
  7. Standard membernmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 21:48
    Originally posted by scherzo
    Correct. The reason people think they never sleep is because they have no eyelids, so they can't close their eyes.

The memory span of a fish, contrary to popular belief, is not less than 3 seconds, but several days. Just wanted to throw that in.
    Now that REALLY hurt my brain.

How o how did this nugget of joy come to be found out...cause that is quite intriguing.

Dave
  8. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '08 05:161 edit
    i need to know!!!!! lol
    Everything sleeps. Sharks have to keep moving in order to force water through their gills in order to breathe, but they can do it in a sleep state.

I remember when I was a young kid out partying till 3 in the morning and I had to be to work at 6:00 am. I actually found myself falling asleep as I was walking sown the aisle with my journeyman. Yup, my eyes were closed and I was asleep but my body kept walking.

So there are, as everyone knows, different levels of sleep. In the REM sleep the mind disconnects the voluntary muscles from the brain so that you aren't moving your limbs during sleep. That's why so many people complain that they have a nightmare where something terrible was happening but when they tried to run away they couldn't move (or run fast enough).

EDIT: Now you need to ask, "Do fish dream?" 🙂
    Dogs dream ya-know...
  9. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    16 Mar '08 05:19
    Originally posted by Arrakis
    Everything sleeps. Sharks have to keep moving in order to force water through their gills in order to breathe, but they can do it in a sleep state.

I remember when I was a young kid out partying till 3 in the morning and I had to be to work at 6:00 am. I actually found myself falling asleep as I was walking sown the aisle with my journeyman. Yup, my eyes ...[text shortened]... rrible was happening but when they tried to run away they couldn't move (or run fast enough).
    Yea I've partially lost consciousness when walking to work too, its a bizzarre feeling, your definitely still walking and semi-aware, but at the same time your definitely asleep..... Its very disconcerting.....
  10. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    16 Mar '08 05:19

EDIT: Now you need to ask, "Do fish dream?" 🙂
    Dogs dream ya-know...
    Do fish dream of aquatic sheep?
  11. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    16 Mar '08 10:30
    Originally posted by Mexico
    Do fish dream of aquatic sheep?
    No, fish count 'em to fall asleep.
  12. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    16 Mar '08 10:32
    Originally posted by Mexico
    Yea I've partially lost consciousness when walking to work too, its a bizzarre feeling, your definitely still walking and semi-aware, but at the same time your definitely asleep..... Its very disconcerting.....
    I Couldn't agree more. I've also had this feeling when coming home from a party and listening something calm on my earphones, like Bob Marley - No Woman, No Cry.
  13. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '08 12:03
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    I Couldn't agree more. I've also had this feeling when coming home from a party and listening something calm on my earphones, like Bob Marley - No Woman, No Cry.
    I was once so tired that I fell asleep while making love. 😞
    You know I had to be exhausted to do something like that!

The girl under me said, "HEY! ARE YOU FALLING ASLEEP ON ME!?" 😲

And that was w/o missing a stroke, so I think that goes to prove that the body can continue to function even when the mind goes into an unconscious state.

Yeah, I hate to think of those days. *sigh*
  14. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    16 Mar '08 18:07
    I was once so tired that I fell asleep while making love. 😞
    You know I had to be exhausted to do something like that!

The girl under me said, "HEY! ARE YOU FALLING ASLEEP ON ME!?" 😲

And that was w/o missing a stroke, so I think that goes to prove that the body can continue to function even when the mind goes into an unconscious state.

Yeah, I hate to think of those days. *sigh*
    You have my condolences.
  15. Australia
    Moves
    04 Apr '08 03:55
    Originally posted by scherzo

The memory span of a fish, contrary to popular belief, is not less than 3 seconds, but several days. Just wanted to throw that in.[/b]
    The memory span of a fish, contrary to popular belief, is not several days, but over 1 year. Just wanted to throw that in.......

I'm sure Dr Callum Brown will have some work published on this subject.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree