1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Nov '09 14:27
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    "So red-shifting alone doesn't prove the expanding universe theory--right?"
    Wrong. Yes it does.

There are two movements among the galaxies. (1) A random movement, and (2) a "movement" due to universe expanding. The further away the more (2) take place in relation to (1). So other galaxy clusters are moving away from us, but within the galaxy clusters ...[text shortened]... ost important reasons that we believe that the universe is expanding in the BigBang theory.
    Perhaps I was unclear at (at lest) one place:
    "but within the galaxy clusters the random movement is most important in relation to us."
    should rather be
    "but within our galaxy cluster the random movement is most important in relation to us."
  2. weedhopper
    Moves
    21 Nov '09 16:07
    Perhaps I was unclear at (at lest) one place:
    "but within [b]the galaxy clusters
    the random movement is most important in relation to us."
    should rather be
    "but within our galaxy cluster the random movement is most important in relation to us."[/b]
    OKay---that makes sense. I hadn't thought about random movement, and with the universe being entropy (as the brilliant physiscist/comedian Robin Williams pointed out πŸ˜€ ) I should have realized that.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    21 Nov '09 17:42
    Entanglement just means that some certain property of a particle is related to the same property in another particle, for example you can prepare a system in such a way that if the spin in one particle is "up", the other one immediately goes "down". This is what's used in quantum teleportation, but it turns out that it does not allow any information to be transmitted faster than light. The subtlety is that if you have some observer A 100 miles from observer B, and A measures an entangled particle to be spin up, observer B cannot "do" anything with that measurement unless he knows the outcome of the measurement of A, which would need for example a telephone link.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 14:57
    Whats faster than the speed of light? The speed of thought , for oneπŸ˜‰
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Nov '09 15:46
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Whats faster than the speed of light? The speed of thought , for oneπŸ˜‰
    Actually, the speed of thought is about 200 feet per second. (speed of neuron data flow)

You might be thinking of the idea we can think about Andromeda galaxy one second and think about getting a Gelati at Rita's the next, which you might translate into doing a couple of million light years per second but that is not exactly velocity, is it?
  6. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 11:16
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Actually, the speed of thought is about 200 feet per second. (speed of neuron data flow)

You might be thinking of the idea we can think about Andromeda galaxy one second and think about getting a Gelati at Rita's the next, which you might translate into doing a couple of million light years per second but that is not exactly velocity, is it?
    My dad often uses that as an argument asking, "How long does it take to think of the sun?". That being proof that thought travels faster than light. He doesn't seem to understand when I explain to him that your thought isn't actually travelling there. πŸ˜›
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 23:00
    Originally posted by lausey
    My dad often uses that as an argument asking, "How long does it take to think of the sun?". That being proof that thought travels faster than light. He doesn't seem to understand when I explain to him that your thought isn't actually travelling there. πŸ˜›
    I bet he can break conservation of mass-energy with his imagination too!
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '09 08:46
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I bet he can break conservation of mass-energy with his imagination too!
    Some says that gurus can defy the Newtonian laws of gravitation by levitate with the force of pure thoughts.
    I believe that when I see it with my own eyes.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Nov '09 08:51
    Some says that gurus can defy the Newtonian laws of gravitation by levitate with the force of pure thoughts.
    I believe that when I see it with my own eyes.
    If there is a force involved then the law of gravitation is not violated.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '09 10:32
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If there is a force involved then the law of gravitation is not violated.
    Well, I can say with pretty much confidence that thought alone cannot excert any kind of physical force.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Nov '09 22:59
    Well, I can say with pretty much confidence that thought alone cannot excert any kind of physical force.
    Tell that to the midichlorians.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Nov '09 01:42
    Wha??? What about moving your body around? How is that achieved without any thought?
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 05:17
    Wha??? What about moving your body around? How is that achieved without any thought?
    Come over here and I'll demonstate.

Over here dude. I'm not going to rape you.

*Kicks karoly aczel in the nads*

See how it works?
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 06:051 edit
    That's right, thoughts isn't enough to move something. You have to put some force into it too. Telekinesi doesn't work.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 10:37
    That's right, thoughts isn't enough to move something. You have to put some force into it too. Telekinesi doesn't work.
    "Force " , coming from where? Out thoughts?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree