Evolution of the evolution threads...

Evolution of the evolution threads...

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
13 Oct 08

Originally posted by KellyJay
I did not grow up in a church going family, Jesus' name was just the
first part of a cuss word when I was growing up. I did not become a
Christian because of a warm and fuzzy life I had, I became one while
I was doing a large number of things that could have ruined or ended
my life. It was life changing when I got saved, it happened almost 30
years ago ...[text shortened]... me or lump me in with a million people
you accuse of things you know nothing about.
Kelly
I was asking you in your religion, is it recognized that God will stop us from ruining the planet? Is it thought that this god will not let us screw the place up?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
13 Oct 08

Originally posted by Eladar
Do you think you know God's intentions? Without understanding intentions, it is impossible to make predictions.
Thus, ID is not science.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
13 Oct 08

Originally posted by Badwater
We cannot know what it is that 'God', or whatever you're referring to as a creative source, has at its disposal. What tools or methods are being employed? What is not being used? How would we know?

We can't know, so as much as you might want to not engage in describing what we find, I don't see how that's logically feasible. I think you're setting up impossible constraints on the unknowable.
Thus, ID is not science.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
13 Oct 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
In the first two postings your hypothesis is that god exists. Then it's no science. You cannot ever use scientific methods to prove god's existance. You cannot bring science into religion. Therefore this thread is about religion.

Bring this to Spiritual Forum, dear moderators! Please...
Therefore, ID is not science.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
13 Oct 08

Originally posted by twhitehead
What if Eladar is for once correct and no actual predictions can be made?
That does not rule it out as a valid hypothesis.
It does however make it a rather over generalized hypothesis.

To my knowledge, string theory is yet to make any verifiable predictions.

I also see a possible problem in that what we know about God is based to a large extent on ...[text shortened]... tein would have done in a certain situation without referencing anything that Einstein ever did.
What if Eladar is for once correct and no actual predictions can be made?
That does not rule it out as a valid hypothesis.

Yes it does!

To my knowledge, string theory is yet to make any verifiable predictions.

String theory is a model. It's not a hypothesis and it's not even a scientific theory despite it's name because it has not been experimentally verified.

If everything is made by God, then the ID position that we can tell the created from that which is not created is false, since everything is created.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
13 Oct 08

Yes, someone might make the faulty assumption that God would want to design every structure perfectly from our point of view, but that does not mean the person is correct.
Clearly ID is not science.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
13 Oct 08

[b]Through direct or indirect observation, like any other experiment. Again, if this god has a tangible effect on the world, then it is by definition...tangible

Tangilbe effect on the world? Would brining it into existance count as tangible? Of course you can't observe creation, either directly or indirectly.

What you are asking for is a miracle ...[text shortened]... t if God does not do a miracle for you, then God must not exist. Your point of view is flawed.[/b]
No, he's saying that if there is no evidence for the existence of God, and there's no way to check if there's a God or not, then claiming that there is a God is not science.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
13 Oct 08

Perhaps you explain how you could see God's tangible effect on the Universe short of a miracle.
That's what so many of us keep asking these people who claim ID is science! How do you know if there's a designer or not?!

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
13 Oct 08
1 edit

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
No, he's saying that if there is no evidence for the existence of God, and there's no way to check if there's a God or not, then claiming that there is a God is not science.
Close enough, but I want to go further. It is a necessary argument to be able to claim that the absence of evidence is evidence of absence (for any God who is supposed to have a tangible influence on the universe).

E

Moves
13 Oct 08

That's true. Using the same line of reasoning, claiming that God does not exist is not science.

F

Moves
13 Oct 08
1 edit

Originally posted by PBE6
No, we're actually going to do some science here. We're going to see if we can raise the status of the Creationist claim to a hypothesis, with some testable predictions. If we can't, then we can't consider Creationism to be a reasonable alternative to evolution because it will be unverifiable.
Do you still think that you're "doing some science here"?

This thread is as any other evolution thread. Some anti-science, pro-creationists take over and repeat themselves, over and over, preaching their view, and continue preaching.

I told you so. Listen at me. Don't ever start evolution threads again and think it will stay in a state of good science. It won't. This thread proves it.

E

Moves
13 Oct 08

with some testable predictions.

That's where people make a faulty assumption. Just because something can be done one way, does it mean it must be done that way?

Science is supposed to be about making a hypothesis and testing it, then reproducing that event. It is about what we can do now, not about how things might have happened in the past.

By the way, I have absolutely no problem with "this is one explanation about how things could have happened". What I have a problem with is "this is what did happen". Making the leap of faith about something that you can't reproduce is just that, a leap of faith.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
13 Oct 08

Originally posted by Palynka
Close enough, but I want to go further. It is a necessary argument to be able to claim that the absence of evidence is evidence of absence (for any God who is supposed to have a tangible influence on the universe).
Necessary for what?

Are you asserting that "the absence of evidence is evidence of absence (for any God who is supposed to have a tangible influence on the universe)"?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
13 Oct 08

That's true. Using the same line of reasoning, claiming that God does not exist is not science.
Correct. I don't think anyone's trying to claim that biology proves the lack of God in childrens' science classes. IDers are trying to claim that there is proof of a "designer" in childrens' science classes however.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
13 Oct 08
1 edit

Necessary for what?

Are you asserting that "the absence of evidence is evidence of absence (for any God who is supposed to have a tangible influence on the universe)"?
Yes.