1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 07:45
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Oh God, not that worn-out, broken, ill-thought-through, dishonest Unintelligent Design argument again.

Look, this has been done to death. And again. And again. And yet again once more. But Unintelligent Designers Do Not Listen. Why should anyone try to explain once more? Even a very modest understanding of the theory of evolution couple ...[text shortened]... decades of it being bashed into the ground means that you lack one or both of those.

Richard
    Go away no one is forcing you to read or post, you think this is
    worn out and done to death go do something else.
    Kelly
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 09:12
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Go away no one is forcing you to read or post, you think this is
    worn out and done to death go do something else.
    Kelly
    BTW, the human eye is not that great a design. It has one major flaw, that an intelligent designer would never have installed in it:
    The blood vessels are in FRONT of the rods and cones. That limits the resolution of our vision and you can actually see the blood vessels when you look through a microscope for instance. Not an intelligent design by any means.
  3. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 09:14
    The start of the eye.
    Kelly
    Here is some real expert info on the evolution of the eye with various intermediate stages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_the_eye

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/01/1/l_011_01.html

And on page 3 of:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/change/grand/page03.html

It says:

“Starting with the simplest light-sensing device, a single photoreceptor cell, it is possible to draw a series of incremental changes that would lead directly to the lens-and-retina eye. None of the intermediate stages are unreasonable, since each requires nothing more than an incremental change in structure: an increase in cell number, a change in surface curvature, a slight increase in transparency.”

Also:

http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/ridley/a-z/Evolution_of_the_eye.asp

http://evolution.suite101.com/article.cfm/evolution_of_the_human_eye

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2ybWucMx4W8
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 12:27
    Randomness of mutations are being credited with
    some of the most sophisticated systems ever, which I believe is so
    unlikely some one has to prove it is possible before it should ever be
    entertained as having anything to do with reality.
    And it has been proved possible via computer programs (as I have mentioned before). Maybe you should first prove that it is unlikely, as so far that is not a known fact but simply your opinion.

People seem to just accept this as factual; as if it is easier to go with the flow of common beliefs than to look at this very critically,
    When I was younger I tended to accept as factual what my parents or teachers told me was factual. Now I am older I am more skeptical, and have questioned evolution and many other scientific theories. So far I have not found the Theory of Evolution to be wanting. However many people do accept as fact what the scientific community tells them, and I think that they are largely justified in doing so if they do no personally have the time or skill to investigate for themselves.

especially since questioning this will lead to belittlement and being marginalized by others as can be witnessed by reading posts on this site in other threads.
    I would never intentionally marginalize or belittle someone simply for questioning the Theory of Evolution, I do tend to belittle you, because you clearly do understand the concepts involved but try to attack them with false arguments or more commonly mere implications which you refuse to go into detail on and it is frequently clear that you know them to be false and that you attack for purely religious reasons.
    You also have a tendency of running away from any argument that you think you are losing using with statements to the effect that it is all a matter of opinion or perspective.

So the start of the eye was when, how, and under what conditions
    again, best guess please?

What do you define as the 'eye' and what would you consider its 'start'?
    I think you already know most peoples opinions as to likely scenarios. Here is my best guess:
    1. An organism evolved light sensitive cells and used them for purposes other than sight. (even plants do this)
    2. An organism evolved a basic nervous system.
    3. The organism started to use the light sensitive cells to react via its nervous system directly to changes in light.
    In my opinion, that could be classified as an eye.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 17:09
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    BTW, the human eye is not that great a design. It has one major flaw, that an intelligent designer would never have installed in it:
    The blood vessels are in FRONT of the rods and cones. That limits the resolution of our vision and you can actually see the blood vessels when you look through a microscope for instance. Not an intelligent design by any means.
    I think its better said that you don't why it is that way, not that it is
    wrong. I also think your complaint about that also shows a major
    weakness in the evolutionary argument as well, but I'm hopping for
    a little more on how people think the eye started before I continue
    with my argument.
    Kelly
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 17:10
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    Here is some real expert info on the evolution of the eye with various intermediate stages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_the_eye

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/01/1/l_011_01.html

And on page 3 of:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/change/grand/page03.html

It says:

“Starting with the simplest light-sensing dev ...[text shortened]... suite101.com/article.cfm/evolution_of_the_human_eye

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2ybWucMx4W8
    I'll look at your links before I move on, but for the moment I want to
    stay on the beginning of the eye. Thank you for the links too by the
    way.
    Kelly
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 17:142 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And it has been proved possible via computer programs (as I have mentioned before). Maybe you should first prove that it is unlikely, as so far that is not a known fact but simply your opinion.

[b]People seem to just accept this as factual; as if it is easier to go with the flow of common beliefs than to look at this very critically,

When I was yo ous system directly to changes in light.
    In my opinion, that could be classified as an eye.[/b]
    How can an argument be false, because you disagree with it? You and
    a few other here, I enjoy debating I don't mind a little insult from time
    to time it can highlight a point, it is the non-stop insults without
    addressing points that get to me. There are a few posters here who do
    not add to the discussion outside of their attack on those that
    disagree with them, I do not count you in that group what so ever, and
    I'm glad to see your points, they make me think long and hard about
    how I'm going to respond at times or worse....make me wish I had
    thought a little longer about what I did say. 🙂
    Kelly
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 17:18

[b]People seem to just accept this as factual; as if it is easier to go with the flow of common beliefs than to look at this very critically,

When I was yo ...[text shortened]... ous system directly to changes in light.
    In my opinion, that could be classified as an eye.[/b]
    "And it has been proved possible via computer programs (as I have mentioned before). Maybe you should first prove that it is unlikely, as so far that is not a known fact but simply your opinion."

I also disagreed with your statement to and told you why as well.
    Computer programs are just that, programs, they do what we tell them
    to do. If you are suggesting someone wrote a program to improve
    over time some piece of software and it did it, you think that is proof
    against design?
    Kelly
  9. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 19:11
    I'll look at your links before I move on, but for the moment I want to
    stay on the beginning of the eye. Thank you for the links too by the
    way.
    Kelly
    …I want to stay on the beginning of the eye. …

The links I have shown explains the ways the evolution of the eye probably started as well as the intermediate links in the evolutionary path way.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 20:11
    How can an argument be false, because you disagree with it?
    Maybe 'false' is the wrong word. Maybe 'poor', 'terrible' or 'fatally flawed' would fit better. My point was that you frequently use arguments that have have obvious flaws and have been addressed before. You also do not appear to tackle them honestly. For example in another thread you recently said:
    Math is required once DNA was discovered and we could figuire out the odds of some of this stuff occuring, but it is ignored
    Kelly

I have questioned that statement and its implications in so many ways, yet you have simply left it hanging instead of admitting that you were either mistaken, or not clear about what you meant. As far as I can tell, your only reason for posting it was to attempt to shed some doubt. Its a popular tactic amongst theists who want to discredit science that they consider threatening to their belief system. I consider it dishonest.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 20:16
    I also disagreed with your statement to and told you why as well.
    Computer programs are just that, programs, they do what we tell them
    to do. If you are suggesting someone wrote a program to improve
    over time some piece of software and it did it, you think that is proof
    against design?
    Kelly
    I am a full time programmer and I can assure you that computer programs frequently do not do what you tell them to.
    It is perfectly possible to insert random variables into a computer program.
    A computer program can be used to simulate certain aspects of evolution, and it has been shown conclusively that a selection process similar to natural selection can result in increasing complexity over time, that is not designed nor requires any intelligence as input.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 20:18
    I think its better said that you don't why it is that way, not that it is
    wrong. I also think your complaint about that also shows a major
    weakness in the evolutionary argument as well, but I'm hopping for
    a little more on how people think the eye started before I continue
    with my argument.
    Kelly
    The idea that the human eye is inferior does not weaken evolution, it strengthens it. Evolution does not always get things perfect, seldom, in fact.
    For instance, the eagle eye has 5 times the rods and cones of the human eye, a far superior instrument of vision. It puts the human eye to shame.
    The eye started out as photoreactive chemicals in bacteria and that led to animals like jellyfish with photoreceptors concentrated in small regions and the small changes evolved into full blown eyes. The eye also independently evolved several times all over the globe. I don't think you quite understand the implications of the blood vessels being in front of the cones in the human eye. That is a big flaw that effects our vision negatively. An intelligent designer would have known that and simply put the vessels in back where they belong. The fact they are in front shows how evolution does not always pick the best design. No way would an intelligent designer done that.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 04:26
    I am a full time programmer and I can assure you that computer programs frequently do not do what you tell them to.
    It is perfectly possible to insert random variables into a computer program.
    A computer program can be used to simulate certain aspects of evolution, and it has been shown conclusively that a selection process similar to natural selection ...[text shortened]... in increasing complexity over time, that is not designed nor requires any intelligence as input.
    If you are a full time programmer you should know that is all they
    do, nothing more, nothing less! They may not do what you want, but
    they most certainly do in deed do what you tell them too, if not you
    have a system that is completely unreliable.
    Kelly
  14. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 04:30
    The idea that the human eye is inferior does not weaken evolution, it strengthens it. Evolution does not always get things perfect, seldom, in fact.
    For instance, the eagle eye has 5 times the rods and cones of the human eye, a far superior instrument of vision. It puts the human eye to shame.
    The eye started out as photoreactive chemicals in bacteria and ...[text shortened]... evolution does not always pick the best design. No way would an intelligent designer done that.
    How about the fact that an octopus' eye is a better evolved eye than a vertebrate's one? Wouldn't
    an intelligent designer use the best eye he made for his prize creation, humankind?

While it is unsurprising -- given the advantage that the eye has over the unsighted in terms of
    survival -- the idea that it evolved independently is just totally awesome to me.

Nemesio
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 04:321 edit
    The eye started out as photoreactive chemicals in bacteria and evolution does not always pick the best design. No way would an intelligent designer done that.
    I do not consider the human eye inferior, it is what we have to live
    and function, as flies have eyes that do the same for them, as fish
    have eyes that do that for them. You claiming you can do better is
    a joke as far as I’m concern, you may have some improvements you
    think should have been made, but until you design a visual system
    that will last through generations I say you are just blowing smoke,
    on your design improvements. It is no different than saying you have
    an improvement for CPU design, if they just make it so they get some
    function to work this way instead of that way, it would be better.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree