1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 04:33
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    How about the fact that an octopus' eye is a better evolved eye than a vertebrate's one? Wouldn't
    an intelligent designer use the best eye he made for his prize creation, humankind?

While it is unsurprising -- given the advantage that the eye has over the unsighted in terms of
    survival -- the idea that it evolved independently is just totally awesome to me.

Nemesio
    Well I suggest the octopus got the eye it needed, it seems to function
    well as we do with what we got.
    Kelly
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 04:401 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Maybe 'false' is the wrong word. Maybe 'poor', 'terrible' or 'fatally flawed' would fit better. My point was that you frequently use arguments that have have obvious flaws and have been addressed before. You also do not appear to tackle them honestly. For example in another thread you recently said:
    [b]Math is required once DNA was discovered and we coul ...[text shortened]... science that they consider threatening to their belief system. I consider it dishonest.
    [/b]DNA is a code correct, filled with information? It is put together in
    such a way that we can figure out all the correct amount of data
    points required to write it properly, just as we can look at a book,
    and count the letters, the words, or the paragraphs in it. With that
    information we can see the odds of getting that code written as we
    can looking at a deck of cards that was shuffled for quite some time,
    and us calling out the correct sequence before we start flipping the
    cards over to see if we called out the right sequence or not.
    Kelly
  3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 04:472 edits
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Well I suggest the octopus got the eye it needed, it seems to function
    well as we do with what we got.
    Kelly
    Except we have a blind spot, KellyJay, because the retina is behind the nerve fibers. What
    rationale can you give for an 'intelligent designer's' giving us something that poses even a slight
    disadvantage, one which could actually cause undeserved harm? Octopodes don't have this
    problem because its eye is structured differently. It is otherwise essentially the same.

What sort of intelligence is indicated by giving a creature an inferior eye, especially the most
    important creation (humankind)?

Nemesio
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 07:33
    Except we have a blind spot, KellyJay, because the retina is behind the nerve fibers. What
    rationale can you give for an 'intelligent designer's' giving us something that poses even a slight
    disadvantage, one which could actually cause undeserved harm? Octopodes don't have this
    problem because its eye is structured differently. It is otherwise essent ...[text shortened]... a creature an inferior eye, especially the most

Nemesio
    Nice argument! 😉

There are probably a lot of other design flaws in humans too.

1. My osteopath tells me that the human spine was not designed to stand upright.

2. Whats an appendix for?

3. Some of us apparently have a redundant tendon from knee to heel - a evolutionary left-over - its also found in frogs!

4. Our 3rd and 4th nostrils. (Again vestiges from earlier days!)

If we were intelligently designed it was by committee!!!
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 07:37
    I do not consider the human eye inferior, it is what we have to live
    and function, as flies have eyes that do the same for them, as fish
    have eyes that do that for them. You claiming you can do better is
    a joke as far as I’m concern, you may have some improvements you
    think should have been made, but until you design a visual system
    that will last thro ...[text shortened]... e it so they get some
    function to work this way instead of that way, it would be better.
    Kelly
    I'd like to see into the UV like insects and have better night vision. These things are possible; why didnt we get them?

Also ability to sense magnetic fields (like pigeons) or electric fields (like sharks) would be cool.

Was God just mean when he dished out our senses?
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 07:43
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Nice argument! 😉

1. My osteopath tells me that the human spine was not designed to stand upright.

3. Some of us apparently have a redundant tendon from knee to heel - a evolutionary left-over - its also found in frogs!

Actually, now we know what the appendix does. It is a storehouse for friendly bacteria. When we get sick from something, it usually overwhelms the gut bacteria and when we are on the mend, the friendly bacteria comes out of the appendix and refills into the intestines again. At least for those who haven't had them pulled.
    I still have mine for some reason. No tonsils though.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 09:36
    Interesting thread.

But still, isn't the title "Evolution of the human eye" somewhat wrong? Has the human eyes underwent any evolution during the history of the humans as a specie? I don't think so, more a devolution if I may say so...

For 30 thousands of years ago, if you had a bad vision you were out. You couldn't survive for a long time. And you couldn't bring your genes further in the chain of evolution. Nowadays, even the smallest children wear glasses, and you can live your life without any problems with bad sight. Therefore, there is no benefit for the human race to evolve better eye sight. The thing we really evolve in is the intelligence, not the eye sight.

This is of course not facts, only my opinion. What's your opinion in the matter?
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 12:10
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Interesting thread.

But still, isn't the title "Evolution of the human eye" somewhat wrong? Has the human eyes underwent any evolution during the history of the humans as a specie? I don't think so, more a devolution if I may say so...

For 30 thousands of years ago, if you had a bad vision you were out. You couldn't survive for a long time. And you ...[text shortened]... ight.

This is of course not facts, only my opinion. What's your opinion in the matter?
    Yep, considering the # of people who need glasses, without them, we would have a hard time surviving in the wilderness, having to track animals for food, etc. I have 20/250 vision and without my lenses I am blind as a bat. Our supposedly perfect eyes aren't, eh.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 15:27
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Actually, now we know what the appendix does. It is a storehouse for friendly bacteria. When we get sick from something, it usually overwhelms the gut bacteria and when we are on the mend, the friendly bacteria comes out of the appendix and refills into the intestines again. At least for those who haven't had them pulled.
    I still have mine for some reason. No tonsils though.
    Interesting. Thanks for that!

Isn't the appendix the remnants of a second stomach? Interesting that it should evolve another purpose.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 16:55
    problem because its eye is structured differently. It is otherwise essent ...[text shortened]... a creature an inferior eye, especially the most

Nemesio
    As FabianFnas pointed out and as I brought up in another thread
    this could be explained by life breaking down too, splitting into
    simplier forms over time as well. You seem to only look at it as
    building up to more complex systems over time when it could
    be breaking down into simplier life forms over time too.
    Kelly
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 16:57
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Nice argument! 😉

Hardly, it could show you that the design was quite something at
    the beginning and started breaking down over time which causes flaws
    over time to show up as well.
    Kelly
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 17:04
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    Here is some real expert info on the evolution of the eye with various intermediate stages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_the_eye

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/01/1/l_011_01.html

And on page 3 of:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/change/grand/page03.html

It says:

“Starting with the simplest light-sensing dev ...[text shortened]... suite101.com/article.cfm/evolution_of_the_human_eye

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2ybWucMx4W8
    Have you read these, and these do not give you pause over the
    evolution of the eye?
    Kelly
  13. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 18:39
    Hardly, it could show you that the design was quite something at
    the beginning and started breaking down over time which causes flaws
    over time to show up as well.
    Kelly
    An interesting proposition KJ, do you have any evidence to support it?

As far as I am aware, no cases have been found of life forms becoming less complex through time, as I think you are suggesting.

Is there any evidence of eyesight being better in the distant past than it is now? Were eyes 'built' the other way round without nerves obscuring the light-receptors in the past?

What sort of mechanism would drive this? Surely a predator or indeed prey animal with worse eyesight than its contemporaries (all else being equal) would be less likely to survive and reproduce than its more visually able peers?

Can we see anything like this happening in the wild? Are bacteria that are less able to fight our antibiotics proliferating more than those that are more resistant? Are our antibiotics becoming more effective?

As far as I am aware, the answer to all these questions is a resounding No. Indeed, quite the opposite seems to be found in every case.

Can anyone think of other ways to test KJs hypothese that we are de-evolving? Can anyone think of any evidence from the real world that would support it?

--- Penguin
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 18:52
    As FabianFnas pointed out and as I brought up in another thread
    this could be explained by life breaking down too, splitting into
    simplier forms over time as well. You seem to only look at it as
    building up to more complex systems over time when it could
    be breaking down into simplier life forms over time too.
    Kelly
    Please, don't misinterpret my words, KJ. Don't even refer to my words to prove your story. Creation by an intelligent being is downright wrong.

If we have a devolution in human eys, doesn't this prove that your gods hand is not even near the creation of man life or anything? And as I said, 30 thousands of years, not 6000 years as the black book with thin pages says. Do you really think your god is so evil that he acepts devolution of man's eyes?

Please, KJ, you have to learn a lot more about the anatomy of the eye, human eyes in particular, and evolution in general.
  15. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    02 Oct '08 19:28
    Have you read these, and these do not give you pause over the
    evolution of the eye?
    Kelly
    …Have you read these, …

Yes -some are interesting.

…and these do not give you pause over the
    evolution of the eye? . . .…

“pause”? do you mean “doubt“? -if so, the answer is no -why should they make me doubt?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree