1. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 15:49
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    After some thought I think my issue is with natural units, not with the equation itself. I realize that the idea of natural units is to make time and distance essentially equivalent, but there is of course a conversion factor c. Although I realize that it is constant (or appears to be) for our universe, I am still uncomfortable with simply setting it to 1 and eliminating it.
    That's the initial reaction for everybody. Believe me, but once it sinks in that what we are doing with natural units is indeed more fundamental than using SI units that feeling of discomfort passes. It takes a while but it does happen.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 16:34
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    That's the initial reaction for everybody. Believe me, but once it sinks in that what we are doing with natural units is indeed more fundamental than using SI units that feeling of discomfort passes. It takes a while but it does happen.
    can you explain 'natural units'? Not sure what that means.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 18:302 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    can you explain 'natural units'? Not sure what that means.
    When distances are divided by c so that they are measured in seconds, just like time. Distances are measured in light-years, light-months, light-days, light-minutes, light-seconds. Time units.

Or, in a more general sense,

In physics, natural units are physical units of measurement defined in such a way that certain selected universal physical constants are normalized to unity; that is, their numerical value becomes exactly 1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_units
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 18:44
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    how did einstein happen to toss in c when he could have set it to 1 and left it out?
    I suspect because c is the only constant he knew of that actually has units.
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 20:33
    Not me. The first time I was introduced to natural units was the first day of my gr class. Soon after that point, we were knee-deep in calculations, so I did not bother to worry whether or not I was uncomfortable with natural units. In fact, for a system I had never really used before, I was comfortable with it, and rather glad that these were the units we were using, otherwise a lot of our calculations would have been unnecessarily complicated. After a little bit of practice, the units felt natural to me, and the implications of using such a system sunk in.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 20:39
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Or maybe not. Maybe because it was a new constant with units that he hadn't played with before.
  7. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 21:01
    Originally posted by amolv06
    After a little bit of practice, the units felt natural to me, and the implications of using such a system sunk in.
    Just like me. Kinda strange at first, but I could use it still; then I really got what those units were for.
  8. weedhopper
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 23:27
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    lucky guy, knows quantum physics AND a GF with 1500+!
    but has no computer...
  9. Germany
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 17:14
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Well, it only makes sense to set c = 1 AFTER you realize that it's a constant. If you are describing a theory that first postulates that it is, it's perhaps a bit pretentious.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 22:241 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    After some thought I think my issue is with natural units, not with the equation itself. I realize that the idea of natural units is to make time and distance essentially equivalent, but there is of course a conversion factor c. Although I realize that it is constant (or appears to be) for our universe, I am still uncomfortable with simply setting it to 1 and eliminating it.
    It's not "set to one". It's divided by the speed of light - a constant.

I think.
  11. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '10 10:30
    @ the OP and twhitehead:

I have derived Einstein's formula, and stated my case for why c^2 should be considered a conversion factor on my newly started blog. Its a bit of a long read, but hopefully it clarifies my position, and answers the OPs question, perhaps in more detail than he wanted. I did this on a blog and not here as here I can not add any mathematical symbolism.

http://diaryofaphysicsstudent.blogspot.com/
  12. Germany
    Moves
    27 Mar '10 11:221 edit
    @ the OP and twhitehead:

I have derived Einstein's formula, and stated my case for why c^2 should be considered a conversion factor on my newly started blog. Its a bit of a long read, but hopefully it clarifies my position, and answers the OPs question, perhaps in more detail than he wanted. I did this on a blog and not here as here I can not add any mathematical symbolism.

Using relativistic mass is a bit of an outdated practise. But it is required to arrive at E = mc². You could also derive the formula for relativistic mass from the principle of relativity together with the assumption that c is constant in all intertial frames of reference.
  13. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    27 Mar '10 11:27
    @ the OP and twhitehead:

Very nice blog. It's on my favorites.
  14. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '10 18:13
    Very nice blog. It's on my favorites.
    Thank you very much 🙂
  15. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '10 18:17
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    You could also derive the formula for relativistic mass from the principle of relativity together with the assumption that c is constant in all intertial frames of reference.[/b]
    This is probably something I would have to work out. I've never actually seen the derivation for relativistic mass -- it was only presented as an experimental fact. I've heard it can be done, though. I'll look into it, and perhaps make a post about it some time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree