What book is that?
    The Holy Bible, the word of God.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Apr '13 19:40
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So lets hear it. Do you think the stars are balls of hydrogen and helium undergoing a nuclear reaction just like the sun? The Bible does not give you an answer, but astronomers do, but you cannot base your answer on the deceived minds of astronomers, so do you have any idea what stars may be, or are they just little candles in the sky as far as you are co ...[text shortened]... believe galaxies exist, unless you were listening to the deceived minds of astronomers perhaps?
    Galaxy is just a new word to represent billions of stars that are grouped together in the physical heaven. There are many new words that have been made up that was not used when the Holy Bible was being translated. Perhaps in the future some translator will translate some word as galaxy.

I was simply speaking the language of the deceived astronomers in hopes that some of you deceived people would understand.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 05:05
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Galaxy is just a new word to represent billions of stars that are grouped together in the physical heaven. There are many new words that have been made up that was not used when the Holy Bible was being translated. Perhaps in the future some translator will translate some word as galaxy.

I was simply speaking the language of the deceived astronomers in hopes that some of you deceived people would understand.
    There are billions of stars grouped together? Did it say so in the Bible, or did you learn that from the deceived minds of astronomers? You seem to be quite confused here. You simply cant take anything astronomers say to be fact, if you reject some of their most basic and most important finds. Its like saying you don't accept that 2+2=4, but you will accept 20+20=100.
  4. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 08:50
    There are billions of stars grouped together? Did it say so in the Bible, or did you learn that from the deceived minds of astronomers? You seem to be quite confused here. You simply cant take anything astronomers say to be fact, if you reject some of their most basic and most important finds. Its like saying you don't accept that 2+2=4, but you will accept 20+20=100.
    I don't think he has sufficient fingers and toes for 2+2.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 09:201 edit
    The Holy Bible says there are so many stars that man can number them.

Then the Angel of the Lord called to Abraham a second time out of heaven, and said: “By Myself I have sworn, says the Lord, because you have done this thing, and have not withheld your son, your only son— blessing I will bless you, and multiplying I will multiply your descendants as the stars of the heaven and as the sand which is on the seashore; and your descendants shall possess the gate of their enemies. In your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because you have obeyed My voice.”

(Genesis 22:15-18 KJV)

Therefore from one man, and him as good as dead, were born as many as the stars of the sky in multitude—innumerable as the sand which is by the seashore.

(Hebrews 11:12 NKJV)

http://www.horizonenergycorp.com/hpo/constellations/bible.htm

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab2/bible-say-anything-astronomy

http://www.godsriddle.info/2012/01/dark-matter-galaxy.html

http://www.intelligentdesigntheory.info/astronomy_bible_verses_milky_way_galaxy_space_dust_gas.htm
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 10:29
    The Holy Bible says there are so many stars that man can number them.
    Which is not what I asked.

Then the Angel of the Lord called to Abraham a second time out of heaven, and said: “By Myself I have sworn, says the Lord, because you have done this thing, and have not withheld your son, your only son— blessing I will bless you, and multiplying I will multiply your descendants as the stars of the heaven and as the sand which is on the seashore; and your descendants shall possess the gate of their enemies. In your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because you have obeyed My voice.”
    Do you think this means that Abraham will have descendents comparable in number to the number of stars? ie more than 10, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000 descendants?
    Do you realize that since the carrying capacity of the earth is about 10 billion, we must either start colonizing other planets, or survive on this plant for over a billion years?
  7. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 10:331 edit

[b]Then the Angel of the Lord called to Abraham a second time out of heaven, and said: “By Myself I have sworn, says the Lord, because you have done this thing, and have not withheld your son, your only son— blessing I will bless you, and multiplying I will multiply your descendants as the stars of the heaven and as the san ...[text shortened]... t either start colonizing other planets, or survive on this plant for over a billion years?
    [/b]
    Application of handy dandy god goo will solve the problem. Either he will make the earth bigger or the population will crash dramatically. Likely the latter since all the non-believers get dumped in some trans-dimensional central heating furnace and the believers get carted off to heaven. On the other hand, the old bugger may have forgotten us. When was the last time he put in a personal appearance?
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 12:20
    Originally posted by Kepler
    ......or the population will crash dramatically.
    But that won't "multiply [Abraham's] descendants as the stars of the heaven". He needs in the range of 10^22 descendants or about 100 billion times the number he has so far.
  9. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 12:26
    But that won't "multiply [Abraham's] descendants as the stars of the heaven". He needs in the range of 10^22 descendants or about 100 billion times the number he has so far.
    OK, god makes earth bigger. Much bigger. There, problem solved.

Alternatively the person who wrote the claptrap in the big book of fairy tales didn't have a clue how many stars there are, not surprising considering he was limited to naked eye observations. Stars visible to the naked eye aren't innumerable though, they have been counted.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 12:44
    Originally posted by Kepler
    Stars visible to the naked eye aren't innumerable though, they have been counted.
    Thats a tricky one. It depends on the eye as well as where the eye is on the earth, and the exact point in time. It would say it is actually impossible to count all the stars visible to a given eye at a given moment, except in the day time, or the very early evening when only a few stars are visible.
    I notice how many more stars are visible in Livingstone compared to Cape Town and this is mostly due to city lights. But I also see a lot more stars with my glasses on than 'with the naked eye'.
  11. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 13:011 edit
    Thats a tricky one. It depends on the eye as well as where the eye is on the earth, and the exact point in time. It would say it is actually impossible to count all the stars visible to a given eye at a given moment, except in the day time, or the very early evening when only a few stars are visible.
    I notice how many more stars are visible in Livingston ...[text shortened]... to city lights. But I also see a lot more stars with my glasses on than 'with the naked eye'.
    The first star catalogues were naked eye endeavours, Tycho Brahe's effort being particularly accurate. I don't think they needed to count all the stars on one night either, just catalogue them and then you know how many there are at the end.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 14:11

[b]Then the Angel of the Lord called to Abraham a second time out of heaven, and said: “By Myself I have sworn, says the Lord, because you have done this thing, and have not withheld your son, your only son— blessing I will bless you, and multiplying I will multiply your descendants as the stars of the heaven and as the san ...[text shortened]... e must either start colonizing other planets, or survive on this plant for over a billion years?
    That does not say there will be more than 10, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000 descendants. It only indicates that there will be so many that he want be able to number them, like the stars and the sand.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 14:24
    That does not say there will be more than 10, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000 descendants. It only indicates that there will be so many that he want be able to number them, like the stars and the sand.
    So him being illiterate, were talking about 50 or so?
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 16:39
    So him being illiterate, were talking about 50 or so?
    No, numbnuts, I am sure he could count up to 50 easily. Noah was one descendant of Abraham and I would bet the other 7 people that survived the flood were too. So we have no way of counting all the people that were born up to today. But there were many more than 50 descendants of Abraham born before the worldwide flood.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 16:45
    No, numbnuts, I am sure he could count up to 50 easily. Noah was one descendant of Abraham and I would bet the other 7 people that survived the flood were too. So we have no way of counting all the people that were born up to today. But there were many more than 50 descendants of Abraham born before the worldwide flood.
    Wasn't Abraham before the time of money? If so, I very much doubt that he could count up to 50.
    As for the descendants of Abraham, there are over 10 billion times less of them than the number of stars that we know about.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree