Galaxy Riddle

Galaxy Riddle

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
07 May 13

Originally posted by wolfgang59
I once heard (read?) the following analogy:

Imagine you are up before a firing squad consisting of 20 rifles. You hear the order to fire and hear all 20 rifles. You wet your pants then realise
that you are still alive!

How would you react?

1. Be overcome with curiosity and wonder why they all missed.
OR
2. Tell yourself that they [b]had
to miss otherwise you could
not be here pondering your survival.[/b]
Neither. I'd be relieved.The analogy doesn't work because the person exists before the firing squad fails to kill him. If I did not exist I would not be here to be curious as to the state of the universe. I don't find it particularly surprising that I am here, it is a fact and that is that.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
07 May 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Kepler
Neither. I'd be relieved.The analogy doesn't work because the person exists before the firing squad fails to kill him. If I did not exist I would not be here to be curious as to the state of the universe. I don't find it particularly surprising that I am here, it is a fact and that is that.
You are here because of the sexual activity of your parents. So blame your mother and father and especially your mother for not exercising her right of choice to have you aborted.

The Instructor

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
07 May 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
You are here because of the sexual activity of your parents. So blame your mother and father and especially your mother for not exercising her right of choice to have you aborted.

The Instructor
You supporting abortion now?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
07 May 13

You supporting abortion now?
In your case, maybe. Just kidding.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Glory be to God! Holy! Holy! Holy!

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
07 May 13

In your case, maybe. Just kidding.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Glory be to God! Holy! Holy! Holy!
Is that a definite maybe?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
07 May 13

Is that a definite maybe?
That's a good one. Funny. I gave you a one up on that one. 😏

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
07 May 13
2 edits

The Instructor
Ah, so now it is the woman's fault for bearing children. I don't suppose you have heard, but in the 20th and 21st century, men can use this device called a prophylactic. Maybe you should have used one. Or your parents.
It just goes to show you the bias you and most other Christians have against women.

You and a billion other people just blindly believe in the genesis fairy tale that a woman is the reason the first man got screwed by its god. So women are now at fault for everything, just like most Christians dislike Jews because they think Jews killed their precious.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
07 May 13
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
Ah, so now it is the woman's fault for bearing children. I don't suppose you have heard, but in the 20th and 21st century, men can use this device called a prophylactic. Maybe you should have used one. Or your parents.
It just goes to show you the bias you and most other Christians have against women.

You and a billion other people just blindly believe ...[text shortened]... rything, just like most Christians dislike Jews because they think Jews killed their precious.
I said no such thing. A women is obeying God when she has children. And she does it even through the pain of the childbirth. That is the godly woman. The godly women puts up with the little monster and even loves him until he grows up to be you and even continues to love you until she dies.

The Instructor

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 May 13

I said no such thing. A women is obeying God when she has children. And she does it even through the pain of the childbirth. That is the godly woman. The godly women puts up with the little monster and even loves him until he grows up to be you and even continues to love you until she dies.

The Instructor
A woman is not obeying ANY god when she has children. It is the strict result of sperm meeting egg. There is nothing godlike in that, it happens billions of times a year. Pretty common event.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 May 13

A woman is not obeying ANY god when she has children. It is the strict result of sperm meeting egg. There is nothing godlike in that, it happens billions of times a year. Pretty common event.
That is called being fruitful and multipying as God commanded.

So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

(Genesis 1:27-28 NKJV)

The Instructor

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
09 May 13

The anthropomorphic view and all of the parameters being just right for life I think is unique. We really don't know and can't prove that there is life out there at this point. The Vastness of space precludes beings from other galaxies coming here unless they have mastered time and space. Michio Kaku (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michio_Kaku) speaks of different level civilizations that when a civilization masters the atom and the can harness the power of stars then they become a type 1 and when they can manipulate time and space then they become a type 2 or 3 we are still a type 0 LOL The only other beings that exist are the angels which where do they dwell? Theory is that they are in the other dimensions. Science does not militate against this possibility. Russ Humphreys argues that he believes evidence shows we are in a very unique place to view the universe. Says we are surrounded by rings of galaxies that are at set distances and redshifted at different levels at equal intervals. Staged so to speak.

Manny

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
09 May 13

Originally posted by menace71
The anthropomorphic view and all of the parameters being just right for life I think is unique. We really don't know and can't prove that there is life out there at this point. The Vastness of space precludes beings from other galaxies coming here unless they have mastered time and space. Michio Kaku (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michio_Kaku) speaks of diff ...[text shortened]... istances and redshifted at different levels at equal intervals. Staged so to speak.

Manny
What does that mean, Staged?

Isn't it more likely there are an infinite number of entire universes where ours is just one of trillions of other bubbles that represents our universe? I like that concept a lot. It would just be saying our universe gave birth to mankind and all life on Earth because the rules were set up that way from day one.

Other universes could be set up where the speed of light is 1 mile an hour or the force of gravity is the same as the force of electron repulsion and so forth. They could go through their entire life span as a universe and die without so much as a single carbon atom forming and of course no life.

It would be then that our universe just has the right stuff and we are in that universe because it has the right stuff. Its called luck of the draw.

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
09 May 13

Originally posted by menace71
The anthropomorphic view and all of the parameters being just right for life I think is unique. We really don't know and can't prove that there is life out there at this point. The Vastness of space precludes beings from other galaxies coming here unless they have mastered time and space. Michio Kaku (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michio_Kaku) speaks of diff ...[text shortened]... istances and redshifted at different levels at equal intervals. Staged so to speak.

Manny
The staged universe is a load of codswallop. That is just the usual pseudo-scientific bending of the evidence to fit the theory rather than the proper scientific method of bending the theory to fit the evidence. The believers can never do proper science simply because they have a theory that they cannot alter therefore the evidence must be made to fit or dismissed out of hand.

I have seen the evidence and worked with it. There are no rings of galaxies redshifted at equal intervals.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 May 13

What does that mean, Staged?

Isn't it more likely there are an infinite number of entire universes where ours is just one of trillions of other bubbles that represents our universe? I like that concept a lot. It would just be saying our universe gave birth to mankind and all life on Earth because the rules were set up that way from day one.

Other uni ...[text shortened]... stuff and we are in that universe because it has the right stuff. Its called luck of the draw.
This universe is big enough. There is no need to imagine other universes that we can't possibly know about and can only be the subject of fairy tales.

The Instructor

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 May 13

The staged universe is a load of codswallop. That is just the usual pseudo-scientific bending of the evidence to fit the theory rather than the proper scientific method of bending the theory to fit the evidence. The believers can never do proper science simply because they have a theory that they cannot alter therefore the evidence must be made to fit or dism ...[text shortened]... n the evidence and worked with it. There are no rings of galaxies redshifted at equal intervals.
You guys will make up anything you can imagine to save face. You should just be honest about it and admit that you don't have a clue.

The Instructor