1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Sep '08 23:06
    I think the term "Global Warming" has been changed to "Climate Change" because now we are seeing a cooling trend. Many scientists see the lack of Sun activity and a weak Schwabe cycle as a cause of the cooling.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 08:19
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I think the term "Global Warming" has been changed to "Climate Change" because now we are seeing a cooling trend. Many scientists see the lack of Sun activity and a weak Schwabe cycle as a cause of the cooling.
    We are talking about the planet Earth here? Exactly what cooling trend are you talking about? As far as I know, a cooling trend doesn't result in most of the glaciers in the world almost gone or the Arctic ice almost gone and maybe never to come back by mid century. And temperatures in the US and Europe hitting all time highs. Just how is that a cooling trend again?
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 13:22
    Originally posted by Lucky Baldwin
    My question is... exactly where is it that the sea is rising on the shorelines of the world? Where?
    Everywhere.

I am curious - why do you perpetuate lies in order to argue against global warming? Do you work for an oil company or is it a personal guilt avoidance thing?
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 13:23
    Where do you get that information or did you make it up on the spur of the moment? I am just curious. This thread is about the misinformation in the US and it would be nice to know where it is coming from.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 14:39
    You might want to read this:

http://www.climatecooling.org/
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 15:27
    You might want to read this:

http://www.climatecooling.org/
    An example of the excellent reporting is this:

Attribution of the warming trend to human activities. The consensus scientists believe their models can replicate reasonably enough the contribution of human-caused greenhouse gases and thus they can be used to estimate future warming. The other scientists believe this is not the case. The reasons vary among the scientists, but the most common ones are: CO2, the target gas, pales in its abilities to impact temperature compared to water vapor and solar variability (not just radiation but also magnetic flux (which controls cosmic radiation and cloudiness) and orbital mechanics). Some scientists believe that CO2 is actually a cooling gas and we need to look elsewhere. Additional factors that some skeptics believe are not adequately considered are the natural contributions of CO2 and other gases that dwarf the human component and the impact of cosmic radiation on the formation of clouds. Also, it is not clear to some scientists whether CO2 increases lead to warming or whether warming leads to CO2 increases. To many skeptics, the over valuation of CO2 as a causative agent, particularly in light of it having a logarithmic function that decreases impact with the amount of CO2, is an indication of a policy agenda meant to deter the use of fossil fuels, not understand climate change.

I really love the statement 'CO2 is actually a cooling gas'.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 15:35
    The other scientists believe this is not the case. The reasons vary among the scientists, but the most common ones are: CO2, the target gas, pales in its abilities to impact temperature compared to water vapor and solar variability (not just radiation but also magnetic flux (which controls cosmic radiation and cloudiness) and orbital mechanics).

This is the part that I'm saying is the case.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 15:37
    Take a look at this new report, it flies in the face of everything you are saying:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2007/0902-our_changing_climate.htm
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 15:43
    So scientists disagree.

Since the earth has been cooling as of late, I think the guys I believe are correct.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '07
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 21:53
    The only reason the earth is cooling is because it's getting near to winter.

The Earth is heating up overall... It's indisputable. The glaciers are melting in the north pole. Sea levels are rising slowly. The last three years the weather has become more and more unstable, here in England as well as in the U.S.

The reason people aren't reacting is because they assume at some point when it all goes baps up someone will bale them out by inventing climate control or something.

I predict loss of landmass followed by civil and international war. but then I always was a pessimist...
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 21:56
    The only reason the earth is cooling is because it's getting near to winter.

No, it's been cooling for the past year. Besides, you do know the earth is made up of both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. Think about that and your comment about how it's getting near to winter.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '07
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 22:23
    I did think about that and I presumed (maybe wrongly) that most people here would be mostly oblivious to the southern hemisphere and display the northern hemisphere bias that we all pretty much do up here.

Either way a single year of cooling doesn't really amount to much in a trend thats been going on for many years
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 22:271 edit
    I said earth temperature, not local. In any case, the CO2 levels have not dropped, but the temps have dropped. The drop in temps have been at the same time the number of sun spots have all but dropped to zero.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '07
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 22:48
    Ok randomly put 'sunspots global warming' into google and came up with bbc website first hit.

"The data suggests that changing solar activity is influencing in some way the global climate causing the world to get warmer.

Over the past 20 years, however, the number of sunspots has remained roughly constant, yet the average temperature of the Earth has continued to increase.

This is put down to a human-produced greenhouse effect caused by the combustion of fossil fuels.

This latest analysis shows that the Sun has had a considerable indirect influence on the global climate in the past, causing the Earth to warm or chill, and that mankind is amplifying the Sun's latest attempt to warm the Earth."
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 23:03
    So even the bbc is saying that the sun is the main influence on the heating and cooling of the earth.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree