1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 23:442 edits
    Originally posted by Eladar
    So even the bbc is saying that the sun is the main influence on the heating and cooling of the earth.
    Well DUH, of course the sun is ultimately responsible for heating of the earth and cooling if it drops energy transfer but CO2 has the ability to transmit visible light where it is mainly transparent but reflects IR so when the visible light from the sun heats up the earth the IR built up by such heating is retained and ending up heating. This has been born out in hundreds of observations of fossil records, ice core direct measure of CO2 from hundreds of thousands of years ago. The CO2 levels are higher than they have been for more than a half million years and that rise is 100 percent due to burning fossil fuels. This rise in temps are also causing methane to be released from the tundra which has until now been frozen and now thawing out and releasing methane into the atmosphere where it is 20 times more dangerous as a greenhouse gas than CO2 which can have the effect of tipping us over very quickly into a world wide disaster climate wise. People like you and your ilk are doing the world a vast disservice by denying it. You are like the holocaust deniers. I wonder if you also think the moon landing was a hoax too.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 23:53
    I think you are going a bit over the top. But hey, I guess all this hype about global warming and the end of the world probably has you a bit stressed out.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 00:571 edit
    I think you are going a bit over the top. But hey, I guess all this hype about global warming and the end of the world probably has you a bit stressed out.
    Tell that to the centuries long residents of Shishmaref Island in Alaska, they have to abandon it because of rising sea levels, the whole island will be covered in a few years from this fake global warming trend:
    http://www.commondreams.org/headlines02/0920-06.htm

http://www.shishmarefrelocation.com/

But hey, this is all fake, right? Mankind has nothing to do with it.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 01:05
    They are having to move due to storms. I'd venture to say that they've always had to deal with storms, but it is only recently they have portable buildings like the one in the piture of your second link.

In any case, ice is building up in the Artic over the past year or two, so perhaps they can move back after a while. If not, I don't see the big deal, but I'm sure you do. After all, you believe that if it wasn't for the extra global warming brought about by green house gases, erosion would not take place.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 01:07
    They are having to move due to storms. I'd venture to say that they've always had to deal with storms, but it is only recently they have portable buildings like the one in the piture of your second link.

In any case, ice is building up in the Artic over the past year or two, so perhaps they can move back after a while. If not, I don't see the big deal, b ...[text shortened]... the extra global warming brought about by green house gases, erosion would not take place.
    You are a heartless cruel individual. I am glad you are not in a position of power but there are thousands of your ilk in the US government already, like Bush and Cheney.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 01:14
    OK, I'm heartless and cruel because I don't think it is such a big deal that a group of people move from a barrier island to the mainland.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 02:00
    OK, I'm heartless and cruel because I don't think it is such a big deal that a group of people move from a barrier island to the mainland.
    I imagine you would think differently if your own parents were the ones losing their homes. You are missing a component of what it is to be human: Compassion.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 14:06
    The earth was heating up due to the sun, not the CO2. It is likely that they would have had to move anyhow. The CO2 wasn't causing the climate change, the sun was causing the warm up just as it is causing the cooling now. But I'm sure you don't believe that.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 16:33
    The earth was heating up due to the sun, not the CO2. It is likely that they would have had to move anyhow. The CO2 wasn't causing the climate change, the sun was causing the warm up just as it is causing the cooling now. But I'm sure you don't believe that.
    So you go out on a summer's day with your thermal underwear on, a thick jumper, fur coat, thick socks, big wooly hat (you getting the picture?) You run a couple of miles and its 90 degrees.

You overheat; you die.

What made you hot? It was not the clothing it was your body heat. Solution to death is remove the clothing.

Now substitute CO2 for clothing. Solar radiation for body heat. Planet Earth for you. How do we stop from burning up?
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 20:05
    Try reading this page:

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_id=5ceaedb7-802a-23ad-4bfe-9e32747616f9
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 20:28
    You keep claiming that the planet is cooling, yet so far you have only said that it has cooled over the past one year. That is hardly a trend now is it?
  12. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 20:391 edit
    Try reading this page:

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_id=5ceaedb7-802a-23ad-4bfe-9e32747616f9
    Try reading this one, so you can understand the problems with the last one:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/03/070315101129.htm

I have actually read the paper referenced, but I can't find it on the web presently. When I do, I'll post the link.

There are several points made in the paper itself, some of which are summarized in the article, but I think the most important ones are: (1) different averages can show different trends using the same data set; (2) what is the "average" temperature of the planet supposed to predict? (3) which type of average should you choose in order to predict what you wanted to predict in the first place? (4) how much and what kind of data do you need to get a good average?

Also, in regards to your argument that the energy output of the sun is the only deciding factor in generating local temperatures, think again - wolfgang59's argument is sound. You're basically arguing that the following equation:

dT/dt = k*(Ein - Eout)

is dependent on Ein only, when clearly there are other factors (k, Eout) involved.

EDIT: Found the original paper!

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~rmckitri/research/globaltemp/GlobTemp.JNET.pdf
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 20:57
    I did not say that the sun was the only factor, I said the sun was the dominant factor. The CO2 levels in the atmosphere do not fluctuate the way that the temps fluctuate.

The earth goes through natural warming and cooling cycles. The natural cycles are more dominant than the extra greenhouse gasses.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 21:01
    I did not say that the sun was the only factor, I said the sun was the dominant factor. The CO2 levels in the atmosphere do not fluctuate the way that the temps fluctuate.

The earth goes through natural warming and cooling cycles. The natural cycles are more dominant than the extra greenhouse gasses.
    You are basing all that on that one sentence that says 'CO2 may be a cooling gas' thus giving you the idea you have doubtability.
    What you actually have is just your opinion, you have no credentials to speak in this area, only spout the droppings of those you revere.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '08 21:42
    Not at all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree