GM crops

GM crops

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K

Germany

Moves
31 Oct 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
British beer is typically 3-5 percent alcohol, its good and natural and healthy and tasty!
The health hazards of alcohol consumption, unlike the health hazards of GM crop consumption, are fairly well documented.

rc

Moves
31 Oct 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
That you wish to paint GM crops in a bad light even if you have to make stuff up is obvious.
No its simply untrue. Please try to be less self assuming, who knows, you may do better.

rc

Moves
31 Oct 16

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
The health hazards of alcohol consumption, unlike the health hazards of GM crop consumption, are fairly well documented.
actually I think you will find a lot of information on the environmental impact of GM crops and the use of herbicides, pesticides and insecticides. Their effect on humans is a little scant though and thus no legitimate comparison can be made.

rc

Moves
31 Oct 16

Originally posted by humy
No, it certainly isn't healthy.
A rabid wild animal is also 'natural', might even be 'testy'; doesn't mean it is good for you.
The adverse health effects of drinking of alcohol are well researched and documented and it is easy enough for you to look that up for yourself if you are at all curious about the truth, which you clearly are not here.

http://www.l ...[text shortened]...
and clearly there are some health risks for even moderate drinking esp with the risk of cancer.
Nonsense, what you are talking about is the abuse of alcohol. A beer with an ABV of 4% made in the traditional way contains vitamins, minerals, energy and many other health benefits.

Here is a study which demonstrates that moderate consumption of beer is associated with lower cardiovascular risk.

http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article/S0899-9007%2813%2900108-1/abstract

It may also help older people increase their cognitive powers.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11546878

No one is claiming that alcohol is healthy in itself, once again your propensity for illogical reasoning manifests itself, please try to think about your arguments prior to making them because quite frankly its tedious having to deal with claims that have not been made by anyone.

Cape Town

Moves
31 Oct 16

No its simply untrue.
See your next post for proof.

rc

Moves
31 Oct 16

See your next post for proof.
you seem to be unable to distinguish between proof and evidence.

K

Germany

Moves
31 Oct 16

actually I think you will find a lot of information on the environmental impact of GM crops and the use of herbicides, pesticides and insecticides. Their effect on humans is a little scant though and thus no legitimate comparison can be made.
Indeed you can find a lot of information. Upon processing this information, you will then reach the conclusion that alcohol poses several health hazards especially if consumed in excess, while GM crops do not, in general, pose any environmental or health hazard (specific strains of GM crops may).

rc

Moves
31 Oct 16
2 edits

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Indeed you can find a lot of information. Upon processing this information, you will then reach the conclusion that alcohol poses several health hazards especially if consumed in excess, while GM crops do not, in general, pose any environmental or health hazard (specific strains of GM crops may).
and yet I have cited two studies indicating the health benefits of moderate consumption of beer. As for GM crops, there are certain basic prerequisites which should be taken into consideration when evaluating their suitability for use. I will cite them below again.

Improved grain yields as expressed in tonnes/hectare
Shorter and stiffer straws so the plant is resistant to 'lodging' (collapsing in the field prior to harvesting)
Ears that do not shatter so can be effectively mechanically harvested
Earlier ripening to avoid the vagaries of Autumn harvest weather
Greater disease resistance
Greater uniformity

I would also include that the strains should be suited to the geographic location of where they were intended to be cultivated.

Cape Town

Moves
31 Oct 16

you seem to be unable to distinguish between proof and evidence.
I know the difference. Do you?

rc

Moves
31 Oct 16

I know the difference. Do you?
I don't think you do know the difference, infact I have trouble believing you are able to tell the difference between your bum and your elbow.

Cape Town

Moves
31 Oct 16

As for GM crops, there are certain basic prerequisites which should be taken into consideration when evaluating their suitability for use. I will cite them below again.

Improved grain yields as expressed in tonnes/hectare
Shorter and stiffer straws so the plant is resistant to 'lodging' (collapsing in the field prior to harvesting)
Ears that d ...[text shortened]... trains should be suited to the geographic location of where they were intended to be cultivated.
May I point out that bananas do not have ears, and our autumn weather is just fine. Your 'prerequisites' are nonsensical.

rc

Moves
31 Oct 16

May I point out that bananas do not have ears, and our autumn weather is just fine. Your 'prerequisites' are nonsensical.
dude what do you know? you cannot tell the difference between oats and barley! proof and evidence! the likelihood of you being able to discern the difference between bananas and ears is minimal. 😵

rc

Moves
31 Oct 16

ok now to the politics!

"We are pleased that next week the Senate Judiciary Committee will be reviewing the alarming trend of consolidation in agriculture that has led to less competition, stifled innovation, higher prices and job loss in rural America," said National Farmers Union president Andrew Johnson. "We underscore the importance that all mergers, including this recent Bayer/Monsanto deal, be put under the magnifying glass of the committee and the U.S. Department of Justice."

"We will continue to express concern that these megadeals are being made to benefit the corporate boardrooms at the expense of family farmers, ranchers, consumers, and rural economies," Johnson said.

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/09/14/five-alarm-threat-our-food-supply-monsanto-bayer-merger-advances

Cape Town

Moves
31 Oct 16

dude what do you know? you cannot tell the difference between oats and barley! proof and evidence! the likelihood of you being able to discern the difference between bananas and ears is minimal. 😵
I have never seen oats or barley in a field. But I do know bananas. And they do not grow in ears. That is a fact. Your prerequisites are nonsensical.

h

Moves
31 Oct 16
14 edits

Nonsense, what you are talking about is the abuse of alcohol. A beer with an ABV of 4% made in the traditional way contains vitamins, minerals, energy and many other health benefits.

Here is a study which demonstrates that moderate consumption of beer is associated with lower cardiovascular risk.

http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article/S0899-9007 ...[text shortened]... because quite frankly its tedious having to deal with claims that have not been made by anyone.
Nonsense, what you are talking about is the abuse of alcohol

So? Relevance to this conversation?
How dangerous a substance is partly depends on how it is used. You are an idiot if you deny this.
A beer with an ABV of 4% made in the traditional way contains vitamins, minerals, energy and many other health benefits.

Any such 'benefits' would generally be more than mitigated from its adverse health effects + you can absorb the same "vitamins, minerals, energy" from just eating fruit and veg without drinking the unhealthy alcohol with the preventable health risks associated with it so this is pretty much irrelevant.

http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article/S0899-9007%2813%2900108-1/abstract

There is no such lowering of cardiovascular risk from drinking beer because, just as I just pointed out with my previous link;

"...There is a big myth going around that moderate drinking is good for you. This is based on flawed small scale studies that have been debunked by more rigorous scientific analysis that separates out all other causal factors;

http://www.jsad.com/doi/abs/10.15288/jsad.2016.77.185

and clearly there are some health risks for even moderate drinking esp with the risk of cancer.
..."

I suppose you moronically didn't even bother too read my post let alone my link?
-you clearly are not in the slightest bit interested to know the truth or interested in learning something here.

No one is claiming that alcohol is healthy in itself,

actually, you clearly have in effect, and some people do. Your own link, of the flawed research debunked by my link, clearly implies this is a real credible possibility with the quote;
"..This benefit seems to be mediated by the additive or synergistic effects of alcohol and antioxidants and merits further investigation..."
Perhaps you didn't bother to read your own link?

By the way, the claimed health benefit effects from antioxidants has also been scientifically debunked and a long time ago; yet another reason why your link is flawed. If you don't believe me, and for just once in your life are interested in the truth;

http://www.nature.com/scientificamerican/journal/v308/n2/full/scientificamerican0213-62.html

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jan/10/antioxidant-myth-easy-to-swallow

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucbtdag/Wenner_2013.pdf