1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 23:39
    Originally posted by Kepler
    Ssshhhh! Mathematicians often get their underwear in a turmoil over that word. That's why we have to trudge through all the epsilon-delta rubbish in mathematical analysis.
    Oh...sorry! I'm not a mathematician, so I wasn't aware that the proper use of the term wasn't so clear cut afterall! 😕
  2. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 04:33
    The smallest thing in the universe is the brain of a creationist
  3. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 14:05
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    have a look at this, the largest thing to the smallest thing and everything in between -

http://htwins.net/scale/
    the smallest thing on the site is 0.000000000001

Now what if i got that and cut it in half, And so on and so on, Where does it end
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 14:201 edit
    Originally posted by tim88
    how small is the smallest thing before it's nothing.
    That is the question can anyone answer it.
    is there a answer to this? it's been driving me crazy lately
    No exact answer for your left brain to disect, but you can get a fair idea about the size of the smallest particles via quantum theory. After macro physics break down, you should realize that the underlying quantum flux of existence will never be an exact science, like the measuring of much larger objects were in the past as even the rulers edges gets the tiniest bit longer and shorter at the scale where questions like the one in the op cease to be relevant.
  5. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 14:34
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Quarks are no less mysterious. If anything, the quantum mechanics of electrons and photons is very exact, whereas that of quarks is less so, mostly because the maths is easier for electrons and photons.
    I can get that and it was the best answer i could come up with on my own But then what if i got that photon and cut it in half where did it all go lol
  6. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 14:38
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    No exact answer for your left brain to disect, but you can get a fair idea about the size of the smallest particles via quantum theory. After macro physics break down, you should realize that the underlying quantum flux of existence will never be an exact science, like the measuring of much larger objects were in the past as even the rulers edges gets t ...[text shortened]... bit longer and shorter at the scale where questions like the one in the op cease to be relevant.
    how can something so easy be so hard
  7. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 14:43
    I appreciate everyone's replay! But i guess none of us know the answer i mean none of us not even google lol
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 15:18
    how can something so easy be so hard
    Again questions like that become less relevant as we realize that even 'hard' and 'easy' are opposites, which apparently don't exist or are reconciled somehow in this quantum soup or whatever they're calling it now.

I reckon answers like this are going to be similar to the answers we come up with how the Earth and humans came into existence,etc.

The answers will be tricky rather than being easy or hard.

Needless to say I appreciate the gist of this post as it is spoken like a person who has given this matter some thought.
    thnx for the thread.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 15:20
    I appreciate everyone's replay! But i guess none of us know the answer i mean none of us not even google lol
    Again, if you had an exact number. would you be any more satisfied? I wouldn't.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 15:36
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Again questions like that become less relevant as we realize that even 'hard' and 'easy' are opposites, which apparently don't exist or are reconciled somehow in this quantum soup or whatever they're calling it now.

I reckon answers like this are going to be similar to the answers we come up with how the Earth and humans came into existence,etc.

...[text shortened]... it is spoken like a person who has given this matter some thought.
    thnx for the thread.
    The Earth and humans were spoken into existence. That was one of the easy ones. But how small the smallest thing is before it's nothing may depend on the definition given to nothing and our ability to measure it. That seems to be a difficult one, at least for this old fart.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 18:17
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The Earth and humans were spoken into existence. That was one of the easy ones. But how small the smallest thing is before it's nothing may depend on the definition given to nothing and our ability to measure it. That seems to be a difficult one, at least for this old fart.
    What experiments did you try when you tried to measure nothing?
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 20:58
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What experiments did you try when you tried to measure nothing?
    I am no different from you, I do not even know where to start. Maybe you can conjure up some instrument out of your ego to measure nothing.
  13. Joined
    22 Apr '13
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 23:03
    It´s a point.
  14. Wat?
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 12:12
    I'm afraid you're all wrong, and quarks (proven in 1965, by no less than the likes of Murray Gell-Mann) have been proven to be made of super-strings, which are made of glueballs, of whom the spins are accurately measured as predicted.... The maths might be theoretical, as we don't have the current technology to measure them - but so was the maths of quarks in a similar light, until we could measure them.....

http://pyweb.swan.ac.uk/~pyarmoni/GKP.pdf

-m.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 23:32
    Originally posted by mikelom
    I'm afraid you're all wrong, and quarks (proven in 1965, by no less than the likes of Murray Gell-Mann) have been proven to be made of super-strings, which are made of glueballs, of whom the spins are accurately measured as predicted.... The maths might be theoretical, as we don't have the current technology to measure them - but so was the maths of quarks i ...[text shortened]... r light, until we could measure them.....

http://pyweb.swan.ac.uk/~pyarmoni/GKP.pdf

-m.
    Then we get to ask, what are the strings made of?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree