1. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '22 17:521 edit
    This record will surely be broken soon by JWST, but still super impressive. The light captured by Hubble took 12.9 billion years to get here, meaning that it started its journey waaaaaaaaay before Earth even existed. I'm guessing, but, the star probably doesn't exist currently?

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2022/record-broken-hubble-spots-farthest-star-ever-seen
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 Mar '22 21:50
    @wildgrass
    If it turns into a white dwarf or red dwarf it could still be here but it would be a tad bit hard to figure out which one it is. Another issue is how far away is our event horizon, that is to say, the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light even now so if it is far enough away, it may be too far for that light to reach us now since it will be in the part of the universe no light can EVER come to us because the universe itself is running away faster than light which does not break any physics laws since the stuff of the universe is not matter and has no speed limit.
    The matter in the universe is kind of like on a treadmill, the treadmill is the universe and stuff sitting on the treadmill is our stuff, iron, water, and the like so the treadmill is pulling matter around and it can stretch too so the stuff on the treads get to a place where light can still exit that area but there is just not enough time gone by for that light to ever reach us.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    09 Apr '22 08:481 edit
    @wildgrass said
    This record will surely be broken soon by JWST, but still super impressive. The light captured by Hubble took 12.9 billion years to get here, meaning that it started its journey waaaaaaaaay before Earth even existed. I'm guessing, but, the star probably doesn't exist currently?

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2022/record-broken-hubble-spots-farthest-star-ever-seen
    I would be more impressed if Hubble could find planet X. In any case, planet 9 is dark matter. People should be more interested in finding black matter that we know exists. Planet X is dark matter we know exists.

Perhaps planet X is changing the orbit of the Earth every 100,000 years causing the ice ages.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Apr '22 09:57
    @metal-brain said
    I would be more impressed if Hubble could find planet X. In any case, planet 9 is dark matter. People should be more interested in finding black matter that we know exists. Planet X is dark matter we know exists.

Perhaps planet X is changing the orbit of the Earth every 100,000 years causing the ice ages.
    What the hell are you babbling about now?

Planet X? Planet 9? A planet made of dark matter?

This is the Science Forum, not the Science Fiction Forum.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Apr '22 11:56
    @Suzianne
    He doesn't know that though🙂
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '22 01:11
    @suzianne said
    What the hell are you babbling about now?

Planet X? Planet 9? A planet made of dark matter?

This is the Science Forum, not the Science Fiction Forum.
    Of course it is dark matter. You cannot see it can you? Duh!

Let me guess, you thought dark matter was special kind of matter unlike regular matter. Right? Why do you think that? Has anybody ever claimed that? Nope.

Are you confusing dark matter with dark energy? They are not the same thing. Dark energy is purely theoretical and has never been proven to exist. We already know what dark matter is. It is matter you cannot see.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '22 01:16
    @sonhouse said
    @Suzianne
    He doesn't know that though🙂
    A black hole is dark matter. Rogue planets too, unless you can see them.
    If it is matter and it is too dark to see it is dark matter.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/10/rogue-planets-milky-way/616897/
  8. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '22 14:38
    @metal-brain said

Please provide references.

Thanks.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '22 01:45
    @wildgrass said
    Please provide references.

Thanks.
    https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210216-the-massive-planet-scientists-cant-find
  10. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    11 Apr '22 16:40
    Good stuff Wildgrass. I love reading about space/the universe, etc.
  11. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Apr '22 17:491 edit
    @metal-brain said
    https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210216-the-massive-planet-scientists-cant-find
    1) Hubble appears to be the wrong tool for the job here.

2) If there was a planet in our solar system 10X larger than earth, we would have found it by now.

3) The alternative explanation (a tiny black hole the size of an orange) seems more likely to me.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Apr '22 01:261 edit
    @wildgrass said
    1) Hubble appears to be the wrong tool for the job here.

2) If there was a planet in our solar system 10X larger than earth, we would have found it by now.

3) The alternative explanation (a tiny black hole the size of an orange) seems more likely to me.
    Why is Hubble the wrong tool for the job?

"If there was a planet in our solar system 10X larger than earth, we would have found it by now"

I could say the same thing about primordial black holes, but you admit something is there causing gravitational influence. Isn't that news worthy? That could explain dark matter keeping the galaxy spinning faster than seems possible. A lot of primordial black holes we cannot detect.

What if that primordial black hole is in an elliptical orbit around the sun that comes close enough to earth to alter the earth's orbit around the sun causing the cyclical ice ages? You opened this can of worms.
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Apr '22 12:39
    @metal-brain said
    A black hole is dark matter. Rogue planets too, unless you can see them.
    If it is matter and it is too dark to see it is dark matter.
    No. Just no.
  14. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    13 Apr '22 03:04
    I count myself as very fortunate to exist at the same time in human history that the Hubble has presented the many wonders of the universe.
  15. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '22 13:18
    @metal-brain said
    Why is Hubble the wrong tool for the job?

"If there was a planet in our solar system 10X larger than earth, we would have found it by now"

I could say the same thing about primordial black holes, but you admit something is there causing gravitational influence. Isn't that news worthy? That could explain dark matter keeping the galaxy spinning faster than seems poss ...[text shortened]... alter the earth's orbit around the sun causing the cyclical ice ages? You opened this can of worms.
    I think the point is that a black hole isn't a planet. Certainly would be newsworthy if one were found in our solar system, but let's use the correct terms.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree