1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '22 01:01
    @suzianne said
    Yes, that IS what I asked you, Mr. Evasion.
    No
  2. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '22 01:40
    It'd be cool if we could get through 1 thread without the name calling. Back on track.

I'll admit I didn't know what gravitational lensing was before this story. Did you know that the very first description of gravitational lensing occured when very similar looking quasars were discovered next to each other in the sky? These were not two quasars but an example of Einsten's description of gravitation lensing where the same objects' light splits into two paths by influence of an intervening galaxy.

Now I just need to figure out what a quasar is and I'm up to speed.
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Apr '22 07:42
    @wildgrass said
    It'd be cool if we could get through 1 thread without the name calling. Back on track.

I'll admit I didn't know what gravitational lensing was before this story. Did you know that the very first description of gravitational lensing occured when very similar looking quasars were discovered next to each other in the sky? These were not two quasars but an example of Einsten ...[text shortened]... nce of an intervening galaxy.

Quasar: quasi-stellar object. So called because at first it looks like a normal star, but turns out to be a super-luminous galaxy so far away that we can't (or at least could not when they were first described; Hubble has allowed us to see more details and James Webb will presumably bring even more information) distinguish between them and an actual star except by indirect evidence. For instance, they are so far away that any single real star could not possibly be seen at that distance. The are presumed (or by now known with reasonable certainty) to be powered by the supermassive black hole in the galaxy's centre whipping the surrounding stars into immense activity.

Not to be confused with a pulsar, which is a star - to be precise, a neutron star emitting a narrow beam of radiation, but spinning, so that it seems to pulse like a lighthouse.
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '22 13:59
    @wildgrass said

I'll admit I didn't know what gravitational lensing was before this story. Did you know that the very first description of gravitational lensing occured when very similar looking quasars were discovered next to each other in the sky? These were not two quasars but an example of Einsten ...[text shortened]... nce of an intervening galaxy.

Right, but because the theoretical Primordial black holes are supposed to be small they cannot be detected using gravitational lensing. That means they would be invisible to us.
    That could explain dark matter.....if they exist.
  5. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '22 16:35
    @metal-brain said
    Right, but because the theoretical Primordial black holes are supposed to be small they cannot be detected using gravitational lensing. That means they would be invisible to us.
    That could explain dark matter.....if they exist.
    That's why Hubble is the wrong tool for the job.

Maybe we can launch a million probes in the general direction of the theoretical tennis ball-sized black hole and see if any of them hit something.
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '22 17:23
    @wildgrass said
    That's why Hubble is the wrong tool for the job.

Maybe we can launch a million probes in the general direction of the theoretical tennis ball-sized black hole and see if any of them hit something.
    Only if it is a black hole and you don't know that is the case. You are getting ahead of yourself.

"Maybe we can launch a million probes in the general direction of the theoretical tennis ball-sized black hole and see if any of them hit something."

And in 200 years your great grand kids might find out. LOL
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Apr '22 14:42
    @Metal-Brain
    If you must know, Hubble is meant for stuff light years away and has a narrow field of view and it is up to newer wide angle viewing scopes to be able to find such hidden objects and you just go OF COURSE it is dark matter DUH like you are some kind of frigging astronomical expert.
  8. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    21 Apr '22 01:25
    Y'all realize that we can't even talk about a telescope without friction?

Day'am.

JOKE: In Texas, USA, there was a pamphlet in a visitor center rest area. It listed the "Seven Natural Wonders of Texas." Coming in at number 5 was a telescope out in western Texas, in the Big Bend area. A man from Illinois exclaimed, "Why is a telescope listed as a NATURAL wonder in Texas?" A man from Texas explained, "Well, ya see partner, down here in Texas we just naturally wonder what in the hell a telescope is good for."
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    21 Apr '22 12:53
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    If you must know, Hubble is meant for stuff light years away and has a narrow field of view and it is up to newer wide angle viewing scopes to be able to find such hidden objects and you just go OF COURSE it is dark matter DUH like you are some kind of frigging astronomical expert.
    Thanks for answering my question.....even if you did so with resentment for some strange reason. You have serious issues.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Apr '22 15:59
    @Metal-Brain
    You bet your ass we have serious issues. Like your weaponization of anything you think will help your cause which is to support Putin. THAT is a HUGE issue with actual freedom loving Americans which you are decidedly NOT.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    21 Apr '22 16:57
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    You bet your ass we have serious issues. Like your weaponization of anything you think will help your cause which is to support Putin. THAT is a HUGE issue with actual freedom loving Americans which you are decidedly NOT.
    What does that have to do with Hubble?
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Apr '22 17:20
    @Metal-Brain
    You seem to have nothing else on your mind but the destruction of democracy in the US and then you have the gall to ask us amateurs questions we can only repeat from the words of REAL experts, something you can do anytime you want but instead you come in here posting questions with a weaponization tag so you can think you are incredibly superior to all here.

I for one will not answer any more of your so called questions.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    21 Apr '22 17:33
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    You seem to have nothing else on your mind but the destruction of democracy in the US and then you have the gall to ask us amateurs questions we can only repeat from the words of REAL experts, something you can do anytime you want but instead you come in here posting questions with a weaponization tag so you can think you are incredibly superior to all here.

I for one will not answer any more of your so called questions.
    FAIL!
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Apr '22 18:39
    @Metal-Brain
    Right, I failed to get you to leave RHP and move to Moscow where you will be welcomed with open arms.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree