2. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 01:08
    Originally posted by serigado
    quantum field theory

you know quaresma? cool!
    QFTFT The Quantum field theorists football team....

Man they'd probably suck mind you....
  3. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 01:09
    quantum field theory

you know quaresma? cool!
    🙂

I should not involve discussions like this in another language. I am not as smart as you guys. Heat isn't energy, this is not rhp forums, my name is not kenan... 😕
  4. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 01:091 edit
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    Heat isn't energy, but temperature is equivalent to energy. It's just like E=mc^2, we have E=KT were K is Boltzmann constant and E and T are nergy and temperature respectively.
    You made me realize I know nothing about thermodynamics...
    Heat isn't energy? Maybe microscopically it doesn't make sense, but macro it's about energy transfer...
    I feel I should know this a lot better... qrmmmm....
  5. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 12:351 edit
    You made me realize I know nothing about thermodynamics...
    Heat isn't energy? Maybe microscopically it doesn't make sense, but macro it's about energy transfer...
    I feel I should know this a lot better... qrmmmm....
    Scratch that. Heat is energy. I was confusing terms. 😳
  6. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 16:47
    Just my thought: i don't think that "absolute zero" exists in any place that might be thought of as a "known universe" unless perpetual motion exists and there is a santa claus.

Rationale: if matter and kinetic energy exist, then some of the kinetic energy will "shake" the molecules, however miniscule that shaking might be, it won't be zero.
  7. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 17:00
    Originally posted by coquette
    Just my thought: i don't think that "absolute zero" exists in any place that might be thought of as a "known universe" unless perpetual motion exists and there is a santa claus.

Rationale: if matter and kinetic energy exist, then some of the kinetic energy will "shake" the molecules, however miniscule that shaking might be, it won't be zero.
    it's not that simple.
    Even if matter and kinetic energy don't exist, even if you have a pure vacuum state, the lowest possible energy will be greater then 0.

The analogy is the quantum harmonic oscillator, where the energy for a level "n" is hw(n+1/2) , and the lowest energy (n=0) is hw/2

The difference to quantum fields is that instead of working is the space of energy levels, they work in the space of particle creation, but the analogy is the same...
  8. At the Revolution
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 18:41
    Originally posted by kenan
    ...anywhere in the universe? (Absolue Zaro=-273 degrre Celcius or 0 degrees Kelvin-460 degrees Fahrenheit)

Heat means the motion of particles, so is it possible that there's no motion at all anywhere in the universe?

Also another discussion question is "what is the opposite (is there any) of absolute zero?

Discuss.
    No, it isn't. Here's how:

Absolute zero is like a completely immobile state. Molecules are, in a theoretical absolute zero enviornment, not moving at all. However, this is not possible. Scientists have been able to create a near-zero-K enviornment (as close as 1x10^18 degrees), but it is impossible, in space anywhere or synthetically, for absolute zero to be.

There was a NOVA done on this in January. Check http://www.pbs.org/nova and search "Absolute Zero."

Probably this response was posted by others earlier. Just read the first post.
  9. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 22:08
    Originally posted by scherzo
    No, it isn't. Here's how:

Absolute zero is like a completely immobile state. Molecules are, in a theoretical absolute zero enviornment, not moving at all. However, this is not possible. Scientists have been able to create a near-zero-K enviornment (as close as 1x10^18 degrees), but it is impossible, in space anywhere or synthetically, for absolute zero to ...[text shortened]... ute Zero."

Probably this response was posted by others earlier. Just read the first post.
    It actually is difficult to determine, IMO, to know this is possible or not. I am not sure if science came to a conclusion yet.

Theoretically it should be possible though.

Please elaborate your opinion.

Thank you.
  10. At the Revolution
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 23:30
    Originally posted by kenan
    It actually is difficult to determine, IMO, to know this is possible or not. I am not sure if science came to a conclusion yet.

Theoretically it should be possible though.

Please elaborate your opinion.

Thank you.
    In theory, yes, it is possible to achieve absolute zero by causing molecules to stop motion completely.

However, humans cannot achieve it and, to our knowledge, there is no section of space (even deep space) with temperature Absolute Zero. It just is not possible, even in a vacuum, because even in a vacuum, molecules must shake a little bit, thus providing friction and creating heat. People have experimented, and come very close using laser technology recently at MIT, but it is not practically possible to achieve it.
  11. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 23:44
    Originally posted by scherzo
    In theory, yes, it is possible to achieve absolute zero by causing molecules to stop motion completely.
    What theory is this?
  12. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 00:16
    What theory is this?
    Maxwell-Boltzmann
  13. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 11:17
    Maxwell-Boltzmann
    Pffttt. We already know that that one has holes when it comes to this question. 😛
  14. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 15:28
    Pffttt. We already know that that one has holes when it comes to this question. 😛
    Not saying infinite divergences when integrating energies...
  15. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    29 Feb '08 15:19
    okay, let me try it this way (not a mathemetician's or a physicist's, nor a philosopher's argument):

It's impossible for absolute zero in any "known" universe as we conceive of matter and energy existing.

It's impossible, therefore, to have absolute zero, for our "imaginary universe" doesn't and cannot exist, as we "know it"

All of the non-mathematical arguments, and, i think, if i could understand them, even the mathematical arguments are saying the same thing . . .you can't have energy and absolute zero in the same "universe" (Place, Time, Place and Time . .pick your paradigm)

I don't have a clue, by the way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree