1. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    26 Feb '08 01:53
    http://id.mind.net/~zona/mstm/physics/mechanics/energy/heatAndTemperature/heatAndTemperature.html
    http://www2.kutl.kyushu-u.ac.jp/seminar/MicroWorld1_E/Part3_E/P33_E/SH_of_vacuum_E.htm
  2. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    26 Feb '08 03:59
    Originally posted by kenan
    ...anywhere in the universe? (Absolue Zaro=-273 degrre Celcius or 0 degrees Kelvin-460 degrees Fahrenheit)

Heat means the motion of particles, so is it possible that there's no motion at all anywhere in the universe?

Also another discussion question is "what is the opposite (is there any) of absolute zero?

Discuss.
    Space is constantly at that temperature, because there are not enough atoms and molecules to retain or gather heat necessary for movement.
  3. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    26 Feb '08 04:42
    Originally posted by UzumakiAi
    Space is constantly at that temperature, because there are not enough atoms and molecules to retain or gather heat necessary for movement.
    Scientists believe that the temperature of the space is extremely close to 0 Kelvin, but not 0.
  4. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    26 Feb '08 15:11
    Well my opinion here is a pure assumption but I'd say that if there is absolute zero anywhere in the space, we wouldn't be able to notice that because to ascertain this temperature, a measuring device should be inserted in this absolutely cold matter which would therefore heat it.

Another thing is when talking about vacuum. In vacuum, I mean REAL vacuum with absolutely no particles, how do you define temperature? Correct me if I'm wrong but temperature is particle movement energy and if there are no particles, then there is no particle movement energy. There are no particles either to move or not move, thus create thermal energy.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Feb '08 15:38
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    Well my opinion here is a pure assumption but I'd say that if there is absolute zero anywhere in the space, we wouldn't be able to notice that because to ascertain this temperature, a measuring device should be inserted in this absolutely cold matter which would therefore heat it.

Another thing is when talking about vacuum. In vacuum, I mean REAL vacuum w ...[text shortened]... vement energy. There are no particles either to move or not move, thus create thermal energy.
    Does the vacuum have energy? Is energy equivalent to temperature?
  6. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    26 Feb '08 17:18
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Yes. Yes.
  7. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    26 Feb '08 17:26

Another thing is when talking about vacuum. In vacuum, I mean REAL vacuum w ...[text shortened]... vement energy. There are no particles either to move or not move, thus create thermal energy.
    All very correct. The thing is that real vacuum only exists in our heads. Quantum always have to be taken into account and if we do that pair creation will prevent any space region of being tottaly void.

Regarding that absolute zero pint you made. You are tottally correct. If we ant to measure something's temperature than we have to put it into contact with something else and only when both bodies has reached thermal equilibrium we can measure the temperature. So if we want to know the closest answer to a bodie's real temperature we must have a non-thermal conductive object. Of course such thing doesn't exist and by measuring temperature we are always messing up. But let us focus on the theoretical question if something can have 0k before being measured. From what we know now of QM it can't be done. Because as you rightly said temperature is just motion of the constituints of a body. So 0K means no movement and by that we would know a particle precise position and momentum, thus violationg the uncertaintity principle. But QM in its current form certainly isn't the final word and who knows if on a new theory 0k is indeed possible. In a form of non-linear QM that I've recentely read about the uncertaintity relationships are much more general and 0 K would indeed be possible.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Feb '08 19:12
    Another thing is when talking about vacuum. In vacuum, I mean REAL vacuum with absolutely no particles, how do you define temperature? Correct me if I'm wrong but temperature is particle movement energy and if there are no particles, then there is no particle movement energy.

Originally posted by adam warlock
    Yes. Yes.
    Therefore the space, even in the vast emptiness between galactic clusters, has temperature.
  9. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    26 Feb '08 19:15
    Therefore the space, even in the vast emptiness between galactic clusters, has temperature.
    That's the assumption.
  10. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 00:29
    Yes. Yes.
    That's your belief in QFT.
  11. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 00:312 edits
    Vacuum can hold energy ( temperature is not heat though, temperature is the average kinetic energy of a substance measured in degrees celcius, kelvin ec.... ) Certainly, the heat is energy though. Basically kinetic energy of movement of the particles. Please correct me.
  12. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 00:38
    Originally posted by serigado
    That's your belief in QFT.
    I don't believe in QFT. That much at least. 😉
  13. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 00:39
    Originally posted by kenan
    Vacuum can hold energy but I don't think temperature is heat. Temperature is the average kinetic energy of a substance measured in degrees celcius, kelvin ec.... Certainly, the heat is energy though. Basically kinetic energy of movement of the particles. Please correct me.
    Heat isn't energy, but temperature is equivalent to energy. It's just like E=mc^2, we have E=KT were K is Boltzmann constant and E and T are nergy and temperature respectively.
  14. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 00:39
    I don't believe in QFT. That much at least. 😉
    QFT?

Quaresma football team?
  15. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    27 Feb '08 00:44
    Heat isn't energy.
    I think there is a misconceptions of basic concepts here or I am missing something here. 😳

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree