1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Jun '11 15:15
    Originally posted by JS357
    Here's a simple example:

http://phet.colorado.edu/sims/my-solar-system/my-solar-system_en.html

One thing it shows is that slight variations can lead to a short lifetime. Add a third body in the wrong place and you get collisions or things flying off to oblivion.
    Thats pretty cool...That is an example of modeling our laws of gravitation, so i suppose there are people studying what happens in inverse cube world, or are man made laws of physics not of great scientific importance yet?
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Jun '11 16:21
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    Thats pretty cool...That is an example of modeling our laws of gravitation, so i suppose there are people studying what happens in inverse cube world, or are man made laws of physics not of great scientific importance yet?
    Magnetism supposedly follows the inverse cube law of attraction (and presumably repulsion) so in the world of magnetism, the inverse cube law is studied. I suppose there is somebody studying laws for which no real-world application has been found. I also suppose that in the virtual worlds of science fiction and gaming, there are "laws" of the physics of those worlds.

PS I don't like calling them "laws" when they are just mathematical approximations of observed phenomena. But "laws" is what the world calls them, for short.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Jun '11 17:10
    Magnetism supposedly follows the inverse cube law of attraction (and presumably repulsion) so in the world of magnetism, the inverse cube law is studied. I suppose there is somebody studying laws for which no real-world application has been found. I also suppose that in the virtual worlds of science fiction and gaming, there are "laws" of the physics of those ...[text shortened]... approximations of observed phenomena. But "laws" is what the world calls them, for short.
    I also feel that "law" is to strong of a word, if in my own words I assume it to mean a cause/effect relationship that will forever remain constant, but I don't have any problem using it as long as the philisopical problems of defining "law" are duely noted.
  4. DISCO!
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 09:33
    Thats what I was hinting at...

I would like to add another, Does such a person exist that can create a computer from the ground up (Litterally)... I would most definately assume the answer is no, but, I was wondering if I had missed a human that held this single honor?
    This is possible and quite easy in reality.

As to the overall specifications of the final computer, that depends on the person constructing it.

If you can create a logic gate then you have a computer.

The magic of modern computers is the size of the components, not the operation.
    A simple cardboard tube with wire wrapped around it and a nail placed inside the cardboard tube (a solenoid) can be used to denote a "0" or "1".
    Put a couple of million of those together and a matrix switcher and you are on your way.

A simple logic gate could be constructed using the above technique.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 15:22
    Originally posted by Woodgie

As to the overall specifications of the final computer, that depends on the person constructing it.

A simple cardboard tube with wire wrapped around it and a nail placed ...[text shortened]... you are on your way.

Theoretically its a nice tidy idea, but in all practicality you need several million feet of wire,nails,tubes,...all of witch still need to be created from scratch. I'll give you that its much simpler than creating a modern computer from scratch, but still way more than 1 man could complete. Then there is the business of creating a matrix switcher, what exactly does it do, and how is it simply made?
  6. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 16:11
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The programmers would be the gods of the machine. Like he said, you could make the speed of light anything you want, you could make protons as light as neutrinos, you could make tachyons be real in that universe (particle that goes faster than the speed of light). You could make other dimensions available as easily as stepping into an elevator. You could ma ...[text shortened]... n limits of data flow and data density but that has nothing to do with the internal use of data.
    You could create a universe which has a little Earth where no one believed in God and were "rational" thinkers, believing that the universe didn't have a creator and was all by chance.

Ironically, this will be a universe that HAS actually been created, a reverse of the "real" world we are in (as far as we know!).
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 17:21
    Originally posted by lausey
    You could create a universe which has a little Earth where no one believed in God and were "rational" thinkers, believing that the universe didn't have a creator and was all by chance.

Ironically, this will be a universe that HAS actually been created, a reverse of the "real" world we are in (as far as we know!).
    Turn your sound on.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 18:32
    Originally posted by lausey

But that would also be a world of beliefs as there is no proof to the contrary...The dogma of it all lies in our innate ability/desire to from a choice/opinion.
  9. DISCO!
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 09:02

A simple cardboard tube with wire wrapped around it and a nail placed ...[text shortened]... you are on your way.

OK, what scenario are we talking about here?

Are we saying a modern setting with all the currently available tools and materials, or, post apocalyptic with limited resources, or, fell from a ship with nothing and ended up on a remote island?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 22:16
    OK, what scenario are we talking about here?

Are we saying a modern setting with all the currently available tools and materials, or, post apocalyptic with limited resources, or, fell from a ship with nothing and ended up on a remote island?
    I would think its safe to say the very last scenerio would be impossible, so the first two.
  11. Joined
    23 May '11
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 23:50
    Theoretically its a nice tidy idea, but in all practicality you need several million feet of wire,nails,tubes,...all of witch still need to be created from scratch. I'll give you that its much simpler than creating a modern computer from scratch, but still way more than 1 man could complete. Then there is the business of creating a matrix switcher, what exactly does it do, and how is it simply made?
    No one here can create a different world or alternate reality pertaining different "laws" without real materials from this world.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 01:381 edit
    Originally posted by MrksMonkey
    No one here can create a different world or alternate reality pertaining different "laws" without real materials from this world.
    I originally thought "What exactly is an idea, is it truly of this physical world" to answer your post, but realized that you would say that an idea canot be formed without the body, which constitutes the real materials from this world. So ok, I agree...but I dont see the relevance to the above post of mine you replied to?
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 18:38

Marble adding machine

YouTube
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 22:38
    Marble adding machine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcDshWmhF4A
    Thats definately nifty!
  15. Joined
    23 May '11
    Moves
    05 Jul '11 03:291 edit
    I originally thought "What exactly is an idea, is it truly of this physical world" to answer your post, but realized that you would say that an idea canot be formed without the body, which constitutes the real materials from this world. So ok, I agree...but I dont see the relevance to the above post of mine you replied to?
    I quoted your post in agreement, trying to summarize its point of view and also mine with the thoughts I wrote in an even earlier post.

And yes, ideas and thoughts are brainwave activities which can be recorded with Electroencephalography.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree