Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. Subscriber joe shmo
    Strange Egg
    24 Jun '11 07:15
    Do computer programers and software scientists create their own laws of physics?
  2. 24 Jun '11 07:22
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    Do computer programers and software scientists create their own laws of physics?
    Unless you mean something more than a literal reading, the answer is no.
  3. Subscriber joe shmo
    Strange Egg
    24 Jun '11 07:52 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Unless you mean something more than a literal reading, the answer is no.
    Thats what I was hinting at...

    I would like to add another, Does such a person exist that can create a computer from the ground up (Litterally)... I would most definately assume the answer is no, but, I was wondering if I had missed a human that held this single honor?
  4. 24 Jun '11 11:25
    If you want to ask a "scientific question" you have to be very specific in the kind of question you're asking.
  5. 24 Jun '11 13:10
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    Does such a person exist that can create a computer from the ground up (Litterally)... I would most definately assume the answer is no, but, I was wondering if I had missed a human that held this single honor?
    Literally? Well, for a start, I doubt there's anyone capable of mining and refining all the raw materials needed.
  6. 24 Jun '11 15:27
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    Do computer programers and software scientists create their own laws of physics?
    If you mean in the virtual world they create, why not? The inverse square law of gravitational attraction could be the inverse cube law. The speed of light could be 10^100 km/sec. There could be a speed of getting a joke.
  7. Subscriber joe shmo
    Strange Egg
    24 Jun '11 17:25
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Literally? Well, for a start, I doubt there's anyone capable of mining and refining all the raw materials needed.
    I guess I was just trying to marvel at the dependency our technologies have on human interconnection. Also, is it fair to say we ( the human race ) are collectively conscious because of this dependency?
  8. Subscriber joe shmo
    Strange Egg
    24 Jun '11 17:27
    Originally posted by JS357
    If you mean in the virtual world they create, why not? The inverse square law of gravitational attraction could be the inverse cube law. The speed of light could be 10^100 km/sec. There could be a speed of getting a joke.
    But would those laws be mathematically and physicaly consistent for every entity in the newly designed universe?
  9. 24 Jun '11 18:24
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    But would those laws be mathematically and physicaly consistent for every entity in the newly designed universe?
    It's up to the 'creator.'

    Here's one example; other evolution or ecosytem simulators or simulations can be found by searching on combinations of those words.

    http://sites.google.com/site/ecosimgroup/research/ecosystem-simulation
  10. 25 Jun '11 04:35
    Originally posted by JS357
    It's up to the 'creator.'
    Are the builders of virtual realities or simulations its 'creator' or 'god'?

    A virtual reality or simulation constructed by humans on Earth are made with objects that are very real to the laws of physics. If I conceived of or built an alternate reality I would not be pompous enough to call myself the 'god' or the 'ultimate creator' of that reality because in actuality that reality actually exists in the real reality in which the laws of physics rule.

    An interesting question: are we the 'ultimate creator' of our dreams? A yes or no answer might be telling to how you feel about the original poster's question.

    So to answer the OP, in my opinion, no.

    An interesting TV series touches on this subject, "Through the Wormhole".

    Morgan Freeman thinks I'm a pagan harlot.
  11. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Happy Chappie
    25 Jun '11 07:59
    Originally posted by MrksMonkey
    Are the builders of virtual realities or simulations its 'creator' or 'god'?

    A virtual reality or simulation constructed by humans on Earth are made with objects that are very real to the laws of physics. If I conceived of or built an alternate reality I would not be pompous enough to call myself the 'god' or the 'ultimate creator' of that reality beca ...[text shortened]... this subject, "Through the Wormhole".

    Morgan Freeman thinks I'm a pagan harlot.
    Not all "dreams" are the same in nature.
  12. 25 Jun '11 08:51
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Not all "dreams" are the same in nature.
    True. For a bad example, let's take one who is living now in the 'American Dream'.

    Is America the sole master or ultimate creator of that dream?

    America built and created the dream yes, but there are other factors to take into consideration.

    It would not exist without the rest of the world's economy, the import/export of goods, foreign oil, WWII etc. Definitely not without the laws of physics and Earth.
  13. Subscriber joe shmo
    Strange Egg
    25 Jun '11 13:36
    Originally posted by MrksMonkey
    True. For a bad example, let's take one who is living now in the 'American Dream'.

    Is America the sole master or ultimate creator of that dream?

    America built and created the dream yes, but there are other factors to take into consideration.

    It would not exist without the rest of the world's economy, the import/export of goods, foreign oil, WWII etc. Definitely not without the laws of physics and Earth.
    The 'American Dream' isn't really a dream, its an ideology, and America wasn't the sole creator of it...its just a subset of a still greater collective consciousness ( in my opinion)
  14. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    25 Jun '11 15:49
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    But would those laws be mathematically and physicaly consistent for every entity in the newly designed universe?
    The programmers would be the gods of the machine. Like he said, you could make the speed of light anything you want, you could make protons as light as neutrinos, you could make tachyons be real in that universe (particle that goes faster than the speed of light). You could make other dimensions available as easily as stepping into an elevator. You could make dragons fly with wings a few feet long. You could set up a planet with gravity ten times Earthy variety and have life forms evolve there.

    Since it is just data flow in a machine, it could be anything your mind conceives. Data does not have to follow the laws of physics. There are certain limits of data flow and data density but that has nothing to do with the internal use of data.
  15. 26 Jun '11 19:32
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The programmers would be the gods of the machine. Like he said, you could make the speed of light anything you want, you could make protons as light as neutrinos, you could make tachyons be real in that universe (particle that goes faster than the speed of light). You could make other dimensions available as easily as stepping into an elevator. You could ma ...[text shortened]... n limits of data flow and data density but that has nothing to do with the internal use of data.
    Here's a simple example:

    http://phet.colorado.edu/sims/my-solar-system/my-solar-system_en.html

    One thing it shows is that slight variations can lead to a short lifetime. Add a third body in the wrong place and you get collisions or things flying off to oblivion.