1. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '19 01:261 edit
    @metal-brain said
    "Food shortages are one of the most obvious realities of a warming planet. It's bizarre that you would call that a lie."

I gave you the facts and you deny them. CO2 causes plants to grow faster and a warmer planet leads to more rainfall worldwide. What you call obvious is a lie. Your assertion is contrary to the science.

There is no point in debating a liar who clin ...[text shortened]... re proving those assertions wrong as you well know. Stop pretending I did not. You know I did! LIAR!
    You call others' alarmists while you're posting fake articles about Fukushima nuclear radiation killing millions of people?

Please provide references for your assertions. If there's real science out there that I'm missing, surely there's a peer reviewed article about it.

What did I lie about?
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Jul '19 03:001 edit
    @wildgrass said
    You call others' alarmists while you're posting fake articles about Fukushima nuclear radiation killing millions of people?

Please provide references for your assertions. If there's real science out there that I'm missing, surely there's a peer reviewed article about it.

What did I lie about?
    "Food shortages are one of the most obvious realities of a warming planet. It's bizarre that you would call that a lie."

It is a lie. Who made up the lie originally is a mystery, but it is a lie. Stop spreading this lie. The exact opposite is true and I pointed it out to you many times.

I will ask again. Do you support bringing awareness to the fact Al Gore had his cause and effect backwards? Most people believe that myth Gore promoted and is still promoting. He is deliberately lying about it. Will you condemn him for his propaganda? Will you condemn PBS' Nova for repeating the same falsehood?
    Will you condemn the liars who claimed hurricanes get worse in a warmer climate when there is no evidence for that at all? Will you condemn those that blamed GW on forest fires when that was a myth as well? Will you condemn those that blame GW for most of the damage to coral reefs?
  3. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '19 03:071 edit
    @metal-brain said

It is a lie. Who made up the lie originally is a mystery, but it is a lie. Stop spreading this lie. The exact opposite is true and I pointed it out to you many times.

I will ask again. Do you support bringing awareness to the fact Al Gore had his ...[text shortened]... that was a myth as well? Will you condemn those that blame GW for most of the damage to coral reefs?
    I'm still waiting for the reference. Our current earth is a good template. The warmest parts of the world are the most productive?

Except for yourself, no one else has mentioned Al Gore or any of his statements in any context. Let's review the data.

important note: don't call it alarmism. these are not dire predictions, just reality. Acknowledge the problem and we can innovate our way out of it.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature15725
    https://www.pnas.org/content/114/35/9326
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211912414000583
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/07/19/as-the-world-grows-hotter-some-workers-are-becoming-less-productive/?utm_term=.aa403a696b54
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/ucenergy/2018/08/29/heat-makes-people-less-productive-spelling-trouble-for-the-economy-and-future/
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Jul '19 04:47
    @wildgrass said
    I'm still waiting for the reference. Our current earth is a good template. The warmest parts of the world are the most productive?

Except for yourself, no one else has mentioned Al Gore or any of his statements in any context. Let's review the data.

important note: don't call it alarmism. these are not dire predictions, just reality. Acknowledge the problem and we can ...[text shortened]... s/ucenergy/2018/08/29/heat-makes-people-less-productive-spelling-trouble-for-the-economy-and-future/

A warmer climate generally leads to more rainfall worldwide. The Pliocene is evidence of that. CO2 causes plants to grow faster. That is a fact.

Do you accept those facts? If not, explain in your own words why food production will not increase. Don't post a bunch of links that you carelessly accepted are logical because of confirmation bias. A warming climate alone is not enough to be noticed by people, let alone affect their productivity. The heat island effect makes cities hotter than the country. By your logic people in the city are less productive than people in the country. Do you accept that? Seems like a stupid assertion now, doesn't it?

Confirmation bias is a wicked thing. It prevents people from accepting facts and myths are accepted without the proper critical thinking required to reach a logical conclusion.

Learn to be open minded. Debates are not being suppressed for nothing. The lies are out of control and they want to keep the lies going.

Again. Do you support bringing awareness to the fact Al Gore had his cause and effect backwards? Most people believe that myth Gore promoted and is still promoting. He is deliberately lying about it. Will you condemn him for his propaganda? Will you condemn PBS' Nova for repeating the same falsehood?
    Will you condemn the liars who claimed hurricanes get worse in a warmer climate when there is no evidence for that at all? Will you condemn those that blamed GW on forest fires when that was a myth as well? Will you condemn those that blame GW for most of the damage to coral reefs?

You have already accepted forest fires are not caused by GW. Will you condemn the liars who created the myth?

You now know GW is not the main cause of damage to coral reefs. Will you condemn the liars who created that myth?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor/2012/09/05/dont-believe-the-global-warmists-major-hurricanes-are-less-frequent/#4035b6c3f4de

Will you condemn the liars who created the myth that hurricanes would become worse because of GW?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jul '19 06:212 edits
    @metal-brain said

A warmer climate generally leads to more rainfall worldwide. The Pliocene is ev ...[text shortened]...

Will you condemn the liars who created the myth that hurricanes would become worse because of GW?
    A MYTH that GW will make hurricanes stronger? What planet do you live on again?
    As the atmosphere heats up, the oceans heat up and the resulting hurricanes WILL CERTAINLY be stronger.
    Any 'proof' you present will be total BULLSHYTE. It is the temperature of the waters that mainly determine the strength of hurricanes.

https://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2016/08/warmer-oceans-stronger-hurricanes/

ONE degree F increase can cause 10 to 20 MPH increase in hurricane strength and anyone who tells you otherwise is not to be taken seriously.
    You can't conspiracy your way out of that one.
    And you poo poo the work of the USDA showing the more CO2, maybe rice grows faster but it is at a cost in the nutritional value of the rice. This is solid science, even if Trump wants to suppress it. That work will come out eventually.
    That is testable in a lab.

https://phys.org/news/2018-05-co2-rice-nutritional.html

You and Trumpites may want to hold heads under the sand and ignore all this but it WILL come back to haunt you and all your buddies when 2 billion people start getting sick from not getting enough vitamins and protean from rice.
    My guess is that will not be the only one to lose nutritional values as a result of rising CO2.

From that piece:

Some studies have noted that higher levels of CO2 spur plant growth through increased photosynthesis. "People say more CO2 is plant food—and it is. But how plants respond to that sudden increase in food will impact human health as well, from nutritional deficits, to ethno-pharmacology, to seasonal pollen allergies—in ways that we don't yet understand," said study co-author Lewis Ziska, research plant physiologist for the Adaptive Cropping Systems Lab of the United States Department of Agriculture's Agricultural Research Service.

You want things to be business as usual but ignoring the issue just puts you behind the 8 ball in a complex world.
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Jul '19 12:181 edit
    @sonhouse said
    A MYTH that GW will make hurricanes stronger? What planet do you live on again?
    As the atmosphere heats up, the oceans heat up and the resulting hurricanes WILL CERTAINLY be stronger.
    Any 'proof' you present will be total BULLSHYTE. It is the temperature of the waters that mainly determine the strength of hurricanes.

https://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2016/08/warm ...[text shortened]... s to be business as usual but ignoring the issue just puts you behind the 8 ball in a complex world.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Hurricane_of_1780

I live on the planet where no hurricane has been stronger than the one since 1780.

"As the atmosphere heats up, the oceans heat up and the resulting hurricanes WILL CERTAINLY be stronger."

Wrong! Oceans in the tropic regions are always warm during hurricane season. It is a colder upper atmosphere that makes hurricanes stronger. That is why a cooler climate results in stronger hurricanes, not a warmer climate. A warm ocean alone cannot fuel hurricanes, that is a fact!

Sara Peach is a moron repeating lies.

How much nutritional value is lost? This is the third time I have asked the question. If it was at all significant you would have said so by now.

Confirmation bias doesn't serve you well. Do you even know who Sara Peach is and her qualifications?
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jul '19 13:241 edit
    @metal-brain said
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Hurricane_of_1780

I live on the planet where no hurricane has been stronger than the one since 1780.

"As the atmosphere heats up, the oceans heat up and the resulting hurricanes WILL CERTAINLY be stronger."

Wrong! Oceans in the tropic regions are always warm during hurricane season. It is a colder upper atmosphere that makes hu ...[text shortened]... Confirmation bias doesn't serve you well. Do you even know who Sara Peach is and her qualifications?
    So you didn't read my link? I posted the numbers, B vitamins, down 17%, protein down 10%.
    That hurricane in 1780 was huge alright but it was not measured at 200 MPH, only estimated, that was what your link said.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Jul '19 14:37
    @sonhouse said
    So you didn't read my link? I posted the numbers, B vitamins, down 17%, protein down 10%.
    That hurricane in 1780 was huge alright but it was not measured at 200 MPH, only estimated, that was what your link said.
    I read your BS link full of lies. There is no evidence hurricanes are more destructive now than in 1780. They are less frequent now with a warmer climate and that is a fact.

Only rice? What about other crops? How much less nutrients are in potatoes as a result of irrigation compared to no irrigation?
  9. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '19 17:56
    @metal-brain said

A warmer climate generally leads to more rainfall worldwide. The Pliocene is ev ...[text shortened]...

Its weird. You keep arguing "myth" and "lie" regarding the impact of a warming planet on our food supply, but the data you present to defend this position is about hurricanes?

I completely agree with your assessment that rainfall/humidity/storms are likely to increase in intensity with a warmer planet. But the data in the articles I posted also suggests that warmer temperatures will decrease agricultural productivity. There is an ideal temperature that crops grow well in. These figures are primarily based on our current climate, where warmer areas are far less productive. I don't see how this is controversial. I'm not sure what information you're basing your position on, but I'd like to see it.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Jul '19 20:57
    @wildgrass said
    Its weird. You keep arguing "myth" and "lie" regarding the impact of a warming planet on our food supply, but the data you present to defend this position is about hurricanes?

I completely agree with your assessment that rainfall/humidity/storms are likely to increase in intensity with a warmer planet. But the data in the articles I posted also suggests that warmer tempe ...[text shortened]... controversial. I'm not sure what information you're basing your position on, but I'd like to see it.
    "But the data in the articles I posted also suggests that warmer temperatures will decrease agricultural productivity."

Bullcrap! That is absurd. More rainfall will increase agricultural productivity.
  11. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    23 Jul '19 21:12
    @metal-brain said
    More rainfall will increase agricultural productivity
    not, in this case, with the greater frequency of weather extremes such as floods, droughts, severe hurricanes and heat waves that also come with this global warming. Taking all effects into account rather than just one, there would be a net decrease in agricultural productivity.
  12. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '19 22:441 edit
    @metal-brain said
    "But the data in the articles I posted also suggests that warmer temperatures will decrease agricultural productivity."

Bullcrap! That is absurd. More rainfall will increase agricultural productivity.
    Total speculation. I'm talking about reality. Are hot climates more agriculturally-productive?
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    24 Jul '19 10:20
    @humy said
    not, in this case, with the greater frequency of weather extremes such as floods, droughts, severe hurricanes and heat waves that also come with this global warming. Taking all effects into account rather than just one, there would be a net decrease in agricultural productivity.
    Floods will increase because that is what happens with increased rainfall. Would you rather have generally more droughts?
    Droughts would generally be less frequent and that is a fact. Stop ignoring science! You listen to idiotic predictions of both when it makes no sense at all.
    Name one hurricane in recent history that was stronger than the great hurricane of 1780. You cannot. You are repeating a lie!

Heat waves? Tell me how much temps rise on average per year. Don't avoid the question when you realize how little it is.

A prediction of a decrease in agricultural production is absurd and idiotic. The opposite is true.
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    24 Jul '19 10:21
    @wildgrass said
    Total speculation. I'm talking about reality. Are hot climates more agriculturally-productive?
    Yes, the growing season is longer. That is reality.
  15. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    24 Jul '19 14:5111 edits
    @metal-brain said
    Droughts would generally be less frequent and that is a fact. Stop ignoring science!
    The science says droughts would become generally more frequent as global climate temperatures increase due to greater weather variability that is caused by those higher temperatures.
    Name one hurricane in recent history that was stronger than the great hurricane of 1780
    Irrelevant; The prediction isn't that each hurricane will become stronger than the last one but rather there would be a general long-term trend of more frequent severe hurricanes. A strong hurricane may be randomly followed by a weaker one and then randomly followed by a stronger one and then randomly followed by a stronger one and then followed by a randomly weaker one ...etc. That doesn't tell us anything about the general long-term trend because we would expect that same kind of random variability regardless of whether the global temperatures are increasing or decreasing.
    Because of that expected variability, if the global temperatures are INcreasing, it still would be unlikely that the STRONGEST hurricane of this and last year just happens to be the strongest one in recent years. And, if the global temperatures are DEcreasing, it still would be unlikely that the WEAKEST hurricane of this and last year just happens to be the weakest one in recent years.

If the global temperatures are not INcreasing because we cannot name one hurricane in recent history that was STRONGER than the great hurricane of year (some specific year inserted here) then, by the same idiotic 'logic', the global temperatures are not DEcreasing because we cannot name one hurricane in recent history that was WEAKER than a hurricane of year (some specific year inserted here) where, in each of those two cases, we just cherry pick whichever year is for either the strongest (for the former case) or weakest (for the latter case) hurricane on record in recent history. Suppose the weakest hurricane in recent history also occurred in 1780? (but 1778 or 1790 etc would work about as well) Possible! Why not? How would you know this is false or can you prove this false? If that was the case, you cannot name one hurricane in recent history that was WEAKER than the small hurricane of 1780; so global climate is warming? -your logic.

Heat waves? Tell me how much temps rise on average per year.
    A heat wave is weather, not climate. Average temperature per year is climate, not weather. The global average temperature per year only has to go up a bit to cause measurably greatly weather variability that includes a general long-term trend of more frequent heat waves.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree