1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 10:54
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So I checked into getting insurance that covers old houses, they go sure, we can do that. How much? Only $10,000 a year!
    Talk to other insurance companies and ask them. 10k seems a lot.
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 15:32
    And gave her $300 for her troubles no doubt. True story: A small fire started on my front porch, no huge deal, couldn't get my stupid water hose to work, it was broken. So fire department came out and had a FLIR camera and found embers under the porch, they took a chainsaw and cut out about 1/3 of my porch and put out the embers. Ok, no big deal. Call the ...[text shortened]... g insurance that covers old houses, they go sure, we can do that. How much? Only $10,000 a year!
    They couldn't do that in the UK, or frankly anywhere in Europe.

I don't think there is a single building on my local high-street that is less than 300 years old...
  3. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 19:51
    And gave her $300 for her troubles no doubt.
    While we expected that, she actually got around $5000. That was a surprise, since it was a 2002 Prius with lots of miles (it had driven across the continent twice).

That $800 you got for your porch is probably the price they figured you'd pay to "fix" it with a piece of plywood, four nails, and some wood stain.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Jul '15 12:592 edits
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    While we expected that, she actually got around $5000. That was a surprise, since it was a 2002 Prius with lots of miles (it had driven across the continent twice).

That $800 you got for your porch is probably the price they figured you'd pay to "fix" it with a piece of plywood, four nails, and some wood stain.
    Yep, and it looks like that is what is going to happen, forget those nice tongue and groove boards from the 19th century.

The bottom line is clear, if it had been a 21st century house, they would have been forced to give me 4500. Hey, a mere 10,000 a year and I can have the same insurance a 21st century house gets for 1000.....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree