Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. Standard member Arrakis
    D_U_N_E
    21 Mar '08 03:45
    Surviving 2012 and Planet X - Part 1 of 5: The Threat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S0bj76389U

    Surviving 2012 and Planet X - Part 2 of 5: Scientific Proof
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjjrStDxTrc&NR=1

    Surviving 2012 and Planet X - Part 4 of 5: Surviving
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNZIyfBChmA&NR=1

    Surviving 2012 and Planet X - Part 5 of 5: Beyond 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zero0Y6TCA8&NR=1

    A further note: People have a right to post about scientific discoveries and/or possibilities. If a member does not want to view this material he/she can ignore it. Howver, anyone leaving derogatory posts against my own character will be recorded and sent to Russ & Chris, whom I am in personal dialog regarding this matter.

    Arrakis
  2. Standard member Mexico
    Quis custodiet
    21 Mar '08 04:59
    Sorry Arrakis, and don't take this personally but...

    This is at best highly speculative and unsubstantiated Pseudo-science at best. At worst I'd call this utter nonsense and blatant fact twisting. If this one lasts a while in science it's going to get ripped to shreds by someone who has stronger physics than me. Particularly as your pushing the subject, its going to get fairly thoroughly debased.
  3. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    21 Mar '08 05:43
    Originally posted by Mexico
    Sorry Arrakis, and don't take this personally but...

    This is at best highly speculative and unsubstantiated Pseudo-science at best. At worst I'd call this utter nonsense and blatant fact twisting. If this one lasts a while in science it's going to get ripped to shreds by someone who has stronger physics than me. Particularly as your pushing the subject, its going to get fairly thoroughly debased.
    Or worse, simply ignored.
  4. Standard member Mexico
    Quis custodiet
    21 Mar '08 05:49
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Or worse, simply ignored.
    Perhaps better to show the flaws and sensationalism of it all?
  5. Standard member Arrakis
    D_U_N_E
    21 Mar '08 06:01
    Originally posted by Mexico
    Sorry Arrakis, and don't take this personally but...

    This is at best highly speculative and unsubstantiated Pseudo-science at best. At worst I'd call this utter nonsense and blatant fact twisting. If this one lasts a while in science it's going to get ripped to shreds by someone who has stronger physics than me. Particularly as your pushing the subject, its going to get fairly thoroughly debased.
    Your opinion is highly regarded. My point is that people should be able to post new scientific ideas in this thread, Some members may like or dislike the content and I have no problem with that. What I have a problem with is a forum moderator who determines what our members should be able to read or not read and moves my threads to the "Spirituality forum".

    Cheers,
    Arrakis
  6. Standard member Mexico
    Quis custodiet
    21 Mar '08 06:29
    Originally posted by Arrakis
    Your opinion is highly regarded. My point is that people should be able to post new scientific ideas in this thread, Some members may like or dislike the content and I have no problem with that. What I have a problem with is a forum moderator who determines what our members should be able to read or not read and moves my threads to the "Spirituality forum".

    Cheers,
    Arrakis
    Fair enough, and you have a point, if anybody what's to ask the forum about the scientific validity of a controversial topic they've come across they they have every right to do so. And shouldn't be pushed to spirituality just to maintain the purity of the science forum.

    On the flip side I think those of us who asked for this forum do kind of want to keep out the pointless back and forth nonsense that goes on in the Spirituality forum. so I can see their point.
  7. 21 Mar '08 07:46
    Please, can anyone give a summary of this thing?
  8. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    21 Mar '08 11:23
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Please, can anyone give a summary of this thing?
    I haven't gone to the links but there is this theory that there is a star or large planet in a roughly 33 million year long orbit around the sun, highly elliptical and when it comes zooming into the inner system, (it is supposed to go out like half a light year at max distance) the gravitational disruptions of nearby asteroids and comets gets perturbed enough for some of them to start going in towards the sun and maybe enough for some of them to get as far as earth and start bombarding it with large objects like the one alleged to have killed the dino's 65 million years ago. This is just based on the observation that there is an extinction event roughly 33 million years apart and so they conjectured the 'death star' to account for this recurring cycle. BTW, we are due for another cycle now, since its been 65 mil since Chixulub and there was one about 30 million years ago, not as deep as the CT event. Anyway, I think thats the basis of this stuff. Someone correct me if I am wrong. If thats correct, its 100% conjecture and there of course has never been a sighting of any possible candidate and since it would be always within a light year of earth, it would be intrinsically brighter pound for pound than anything else out there and the fact that hundreds of years of dedicated observations has never seen even a hint of such a thing that close to earth, even the hubble hasn't seen anything like it, so if it is real, it would most likely be a brown dwarf, which masses something like less than one percent of the sun, a LOT bigger than jupiter and would not emit much radiation and that only in the IR, so it can't be totally ruled out.
  9. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    21 Mar '08 12:08
    Originally posted by Arrakis
    Surviving 2012 and Planet X - Part 1 of 5: The Threat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S0bj76389U

    Surviving 2012 and Planet X - Part 2 of 5: Scientific Proof
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjjrStDxTrc&NR=1

    Surviving 2012 and Planet X - Part 4 of 5: Surviving
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNZIyfBChmA&NR=1

    Surviving 2012 and Planet X - Part 5 o ...[text shortened]... ecorded and sent to Russ & Chris, whom I am in personal dialog regarding this matter.

    Arrakis
    Seriously, Arrakis I had some respect to you, but now you're pushing it. This is a big load of crap you know? Would you please adress the points raised by Agryson on the thread that is on the spirituality forum.
  10. 21 Mar '08 14:43
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    Seriously, Arrakis I had some respect to you, but now you're pushing it.
    Ah, you are still a n00b. That hilarious avian flu conspiracy thread must have been before your time. (Trying to find the link...)
  11. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    21 Mar '08 15:07
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Ah, you are still a n00b. That hilarious avian flu conspiracy thread must have been before your time. (Trying to find the link...)
    I have seen some of his infamous threads on the general forum but I don't remember that one.

    But I do respect some of his posts on the chess forum. I've seen a couple of threads made him by that were insightful and good. But sometimes he's a real character on the other forums.
  12. 21 Mar '08 15:41
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I haven't gone to the links but there is this theory that there is a star or large planet in a roughly 33 million year long orbit around the sun, highly elliptical and when it comes zooming into the inner system, (it is supposed to go out like half a light year at max distance) the gravitational disruptions of nearby asteroids and comets gets perturbed enou ...[text shortened]... d would not emit much radiation and that only in the IR, so it can't be totally ruled out.
    i'm inclined to disbelieve it because my feeling is that there must be logical ratio limits of force, mass, velocity, orbit. surely if something was on such an orbit of vast radius, the gravitational force would be so weak that it keep going rather than orbit? -and if it was incredibly massive (regardless of size) it wouldn't orbit a small sun like ours in the first place?
  13. Standard member agryson
    AGW Hitman
    21 Mar '08 16:16 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Arrakis
    Surviving 2012 and Planet X - Part 1 of 5: The Threat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S0bj76389U

    Surviving 2012 and Planet X - Part 2 of 5: Scientific Proof
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjjrStDxTrc&NR=1

    Surviving 2012 and Planet X - Part 4 of 5: Surviving
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNZIyfBChmA&NR=1

    Surviving 2012 and Planet X - Part 5 o ...[text shortened]... ecorded and sent to Russ & Chris, whom I am in personal dialog regarding this matter.

    Arrakis
    The most important line in this post is "scientific discoveries and/or possibilities"... especially the first word. To qualify as scientific, it must be able to stand up to the data we currently have. The pioneer data for instance. Furthermore, the discovery/possibility should not make unsubstantiated claims. For instance, the date of 2012 is a specific, falsifiable claim, but it's based on an ancient calander system, the design of which is not clear, nor is its accuracy as regards predicting such large-scale astronomical events, thus where is the date of 2012 being found if not from a questionable and decidedly UNscientific source?
    Take the example of big foot societies, the existence of bigfoot has not been verified, yet there are people publishing stuff about social structures in bigfoot societies! Before we've even found out whether or not they exist, let alone them being a social animal!
    That is exactly what's going on here, ancient astronomers suggest a certain event at a certain time. Today, with technology no society on earth has ever been privy to have no corroborating data. Occams razor says cut the crap and don't make unqualified assumptions.
    There is no sign of such a gravity well, the evidence you have for it now is insufficient to make the claims you're making and ultimately, that makes this discovery/possibility something that lies outside the realms of science.
    Come back with just ONE fo the following three things...
    - stronger evidence that follows standard scientific practice with regards to data quality
    - a testable, predictive hypothesis
    - related information free from unecessary claims

    Good Luck.
  14. 21 Mar '08 16:56
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    I have seen some of his infamous threads on the general forum but I don't remember that one.
    Thread 39009

    Enjoy!
  15. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    21 Mar '08 17:10
    Originally posted by eamon o
    i'm inclined to disbelieve it because my feeling is that there must be logical ratio limits of force, mass, velocity, orbit. surely if something was on such an orbit of vast radius, the gravitational force would be so weak that it keep going rather than orbit? -and if it was incredibly massive (regardless of size) it wouldn't orbit a small sun like ours in the first place?
    Whether its in orbit or not depends on the relative velocities at the time it would allegedly be captured. It is possible for the sun to capture things way past the Kuiper belt, the Oort Cloud is made up of stuff in very large orbits, extending out about a light year. The thing is, if say, a brown dwarf were to be captured by the sun in such a long orbit, there would be little gravitational interaction when it is at max distance from the sun, but as it goes through the Oort cloud, it certainly would make its presence felt for millions of miles around because of its large mass, small for a sun but VERY large for a planet.
    Then as it goes closer inward, it passes through the Kuiper Belt and so can interact with two successive bands of orbiting junk, some of which could theoretically come charging in towards the inner system and Earth. Possible but pretty unlikely till more is known about the pertubations in the outer solar system.