1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Aug '14 04:34
    Originally posted by humy
    OK, but first: I avoid red meat partly because of the clear causal link between the heme-iron in red meat and cancer and I also try my best to avoid sugary foods and all processed 'junk foods' although I admit I sometimes do on the rare occasion give in to temptation.

Broccoli and Brussels sprouts -because the anti-cancer chemicals in them.

-that's it I a ...[text shortened]... not rise, life expectancy in humans.

I also practice intermittent fasting for health reasons.
    humy, I'll reply Tuesday afternoon @ GMT-5.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Aug '14 02:12
    OK, but first: I avoid red meat partly because of the clear causal link between the heme-iron in red meat and cancer and I also try my best to avoid sugary foods and all processed 'junk foods' although I admit I sometimes do on the rare occasion give in to temptation.

-that's it I am a ...[text shortened]... er, not rise, life expectancy in humans.

I also practice intermittent fasting for health reasons.
    "OK, but first: I avoid red meat partly because of the clear causal link between the heme-iron in red meat and cancer and I also try my best to avoid sugary foods and all processed 'junk foods' although I admit I sometimes do on the rare occasion give in to temptation.

-that's it I am afraid! They are the only foods that I eat that have any special heath benefits backed up by scientific evidence that has yet to be debunked. I eat plenty of other perfectly healthy foods such as onions etc but, unlike the brassicas, all the commonly said health benefits from the many other different kinds of fruit vegetables have been shown to be myth. For example, the onions I eat, contrary to popular opinion, don't help to stop heart disease in particular although there have been a number of flawed studies that say it does )

I do eat small amounts of food supplements for health reasons. These are:

vit D and calcium
    (because I had mild vit D deficiency a few years ago and because of my age )

125mg of L-carnosine per day (there is apparently some claimed evidence that it may slow down the aging process but not sure how reliable that info is but I still take it in the hope that it works )

Half an aspirin each day (although the claim that it helps to prevent heart disease is myth, it does lower the risk of cancer although it must be taken with great caution because even the tiny amounts I take can increase the risk of strokes and fatal kidney damage )

One tablet of folic acid per day (although the claim that it helps to prevent heart disease is myth, it reduces the risk of strokes )

Note that I do not take antioxidant vitamin tablets such as vitamin C because taking these supplements, contrary to common belief, has been scientifically shown to lower, not rise, life expectancy in humans.

I also practice intermittent fasting for health reasons."

"Broccoli and Brussels sprouts"; "small amounts of food supplements for health reasons. These are: vit D and calcium..." "125mg of L-carnosine per day..." "Half an aspirin each day..." "One tablet of folic acid per day..." and "intermittent fasting for health reasons." humy, you certainly have created a well thought through food and supplement diet. I salute you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree