Organically Grown Fruits and Vegetables

Organically Grown Fruits and Vegetables

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MB

Moves
29 Jul 14

Originally posted by humy
to add to that, here is a scientific report on the causes of the increasing cancer rates and why they are expected to continue to increase:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2003/pr27/en/

note how when it lists the causes of cancer, there is no mention of pesticides nor chemicals in food. In fact, it doesn't even mention "organic" anywhere in t ...[text shortened]... uses. At the very worst, man made pesticide residues in food are an extremely miner contributor.
"there is no mention of pesticides nor chemicals in food"

Why would they? Not all foods sprayed with pesticide are bad to eat. Even if I accepted that the pesticide sprayed on banana plants (for example) would be very bad for my health if I consumed it I would have little concern. Bananas have thick skins that I peel off before I eat them. The only exposure would be to my hands when I handle the banana. A quick washing of my hands would make me and anybody else feel reasonably safe.

Not all foods sprayed with pesticides are equal. It would be short sighted to make a blanket statement about them like you expect. They didn't mention pesticides because, well.......it is like comparing apples to oranges. Some fruit are peeled before eating and others are not.

From your link:
"Tobacco consumption remains the most important avoidable cancer risk."

Wow! Big surprise. LOL!😴

h

Moves
29 Jul 14
8 edits

Originally posted by Metal Brain
"Good. So does that mean you would NOT sanction the banning of ALL pesticides used for growing food?"

Of course I would not ban all pesticides. I never said I supported that at all. It is like you debate based on false assumptions. That gets really annoying. Are you forgetting the OP of this thread? This is about whether or not organic fruits and vege ...[text shortened]... ER TO EAT IT! DUHHH!!!!

You have lost the debate here. Move on. You are beating a dead horse.
The evidence to date indicates the difference in risk from eating organic food and non-organic food is so minute that it isn't worth considering thus rendering which is safer purely academic. Basically, there are good reason to believe that you would be vastly more likely to choke to death on your food than die of man made insecticides from eating food. And, if you think I just made that one up out of thin air, see the link below and think again:

http://www.medhelp.org/general-health/articles/The-25-Most-Common-Causes-of-Death/193

As KazetNagorra correctly stated:
"Non-organic food does generally contain more pesticides, but usually not at hazardous levels"

K

Germany

Moves
29 Jul 14

"Good. So does that mean you would NOT sanction the banning of ALL pesticides used for growing food?"

Of course I would not ban all pesticides. I never said I supported that at all. It is like you debate based on false assumptions. That gets really annoying. Are you forgetting the OP of this thread? This is about whether or not organic fruits and vege ...[text shortened]... ER TO EAT IT! DUHHH!!!!

You have lost the debate here. Move on. You are beating a dead horse.
It's the dose that determines the poison. Every substance known to man is poisonous depending on the dose you ingest it in. But hey, if you want to stop drinking water because drinking too much of it will kill you, be my guest.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
29 Jul 14

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
It's the dose that determines the poison. Every substance known to man is poisonous depending on the dose you ingest it in. But hey, if you want to stop drinking water because drinking too much of it will kill you, be my guest.
Up to a point, there are chronic and acute effects, and the half-life in the body matters. Provided the toxin is cleared as fast as it is ingested then one is fine, but if not accumulation over a couple of decades can take place. This is my problem with animal toxicity tests, lab rats live for 3 years (if they're lucky) so the experiments aren't sensitive to problems from long term exposure.

MB

Moves
29 Jul 14

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Okay Captain obvious. 🙄

MB

Moves
29 Jul 14

The evidence to date indicates the difference in risk from eating organic food and non-organic food is so minute that it isn't worth considering thus rendering which is safer purely academic. Basically, there are good reason to believe that you would be vastly more likely to choke to death on your food than die of man made insecticides from eating food. And, if ...[text shortened]...
"Non-organic food does generally contain more pesticides, but usually not at hazardous levels"
Less pesticides make the food safer. How much less doesn't make me wrong and you right. You lost this one. Get a different hobby or stop being so stubborn. You are boring me.😴

h

Moves
30 Jul 14
1 edit

Less pesticides make the food safer. How much less doesn't make me wrong and you right. You lost this one. Get a different hobby or stop being so stubborn. You are boring me.😴
How much less ...

How much less determines whether we should be concerned.

MB

Moves
30 Jul 14

How much less ...

How much less determines whether we should be concerned.
😴

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
31 Jul 14

Originally posted by DeepThought
Up to a point, there are chronic and acute effects, and the half-life in the body matters. Provided the toxin is cleared as fast as it is ingested then one is fine, but if not accumulation over a couple of decades can take place. This is my problem with animal toxicity tests, lab rats live for 3 years (if they're lucky) so the experiments aren't sensitive to problems from long term exposure.
Realize this request may be off topic but would like to ask for comments on Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO). Thanks.

K

Germany

Moves
31 Jul 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Realize this request may be off topic but would like to ask for comments on Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO). Thanks.
There's a recent and lengthy thread on this topic.

Australia

Moves
31 Jul 14

Thread 160022

MB

Moves
31 Jul 14

I read that grapes can have many different pesticides on them. One was found to have 15 different pesticides on them. Some of the most effective pesticides are deadly to honey bees so this is an environmental issue as well as health.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/pesticides-grape-vines-34707.html

Cape Town

Moves
31 Jul 14

I read that grapes can have many different pesticides on them. One was found to have 15 different pesticides on them. Some of the most effective pesticides are deadly to honey bees so this is an environmental issue as well as health.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/pesticides-grape-vines-34707.html
So do you only drink organic wine?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
31 Jul 14

Originally posted by Kewpie
Thread 160022
Thanks for the info, KazetNagorra; and, Kewpie, I appreciate the thread link.

MB

Moves
01 Aug 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
So do you only drink organic wine?
No. I stated earlier on this thread that I bought some grape juice that I intend to ferment into my own wine with as I do every now and then. I'm sure there are pesticides in the grape juice as I bought it from Walmart because it was the best price I could find. I can't afford organically grown grape juice. I do limit my consumption of it though.

I do have a couple of grape vines near my house but the bugs eat my grapes when they are so small they are hard to see. I can understand why people spray grapes with pesticides just like I understand why farmers spray pesticides on potato plants. Interestingly enough, the grapes would likely get eaten by birds later if the bugs didn't get them. The potatoes in my garden have potato beetles on them but the deer ate the green leaves more than the beetles did. This is the first year that the deer ate my potato vegetation. They never used to eat the vegetation, just the tubers in the fall. I think the deer are so used to feeding in my garden that they are eating crops that they normally would not. A fence would cost money and the weed seed makes that spot not worth growing there next year.

Crops are not equally sprayed with pesticides. Here is a link with a list of most and less.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-13571/12-fruits-veggies-with-the-most-pesticides-2014-dirty-dozen.html